Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Dec 2002, 08:50 (Ref:457137)   #1
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attention VY Holden Owners

Its Christmas for FORD OWners.

If your a VY owner I hope you were given a Fire Extinguisher, Fire Blanket and Life Insurance Policy for Chrissy.

Last Friday I was travelling North, in my trusty Falcon on the Pacific Highway following a brand spanking new Silvery Coloured VY Commodore,complete with trailer load of gear.,suddenly and very unexpectedky there was smoke and flames coming from under the Bonnet of the Commodore. The Vehicle Pulled over, I Pulled up in front of it and ran back calling 000 on the mobile as I went.

The good news is the Middle aged couple, and their 2 teenage children escaped shaken but otherwise unharmed.

Unfortunately the Fire took hold VEEERY Quickly and we could not save anything, not even the trailer. Their Queensland and Christmas Holiday was ruined before it had began. The Commodore had changed from Silver to a charcol colour in just a few minutes. It was a really scary fire.

Fireys that eventually arrived reckoned it was some sort of Electrical fault starting under the car.

The owner told me this was his 5th Commodore and that he had looked at a BA but opted for the Commodore for the Price. (Hey you get what you pay for).

As a Proud Ford Owner, who stood watching Holdens Finest erupt into flames, unable to do anything but grin, I did feel sorry for the owners. But I just couldn't help but pray the same thing happens on track in 2003.

But seriously for Holdens Sake I hope its a one off thing. It wouldnt be good for business.

Last edited by Bluebottle; 27 Dec 2002 at 22:56.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 08:51 (Ref:457138)   #2
The Tool Man
Veteran

I forgot to mention the Owner said he had picked the car up on the monday 4 days later it was destroyed. with only 800 klms on the clock.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 09:19 (Ref:457143)   #3
V8 Fan
Racer

V8 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That's the 3rd such story I've heard.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 11:23 (Ref:457169)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Still haven't fixed the alternator wiring harness .
Doesn't surprise me!
That's being happing since VT series 1
Old 25 Dec 2002, 21:49 (Ref:457344)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a VT 1 Exec from new, did 82,000 km in two years, without a problem.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 21:58 (Ref:457349)   #6
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden had a problem with VR Commodore catching fire when the auto cooler lines used to blow off. Haven't heard about VY yet but it would not suprise me.

On the topic of cars catching fire we had a client that had a AUIII XR6 have a bad engine bay fire about 3 weeks ago. Both Ford and the insurance company are refusing to except responsability for it, and blamming the other. We have had to get a forensic investigator to look at it at our cost to try and get one of them to accept liability. The thing is guys if an insurance company will not accept responsability on this, as they should for a company like ours (We have around 40000 cars, truck and plant insured with them) what chance do the rest of us have with them
Old 26 Dec 2002, 07:05 (Ref:457494)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
geez , thats a huge shame , and I wish i hadnt read this thread as Ive just bought a VT , im gonna get a fire extinguisher now !!!!
Old 26 Dec 2002, 10:30 (Ref:457557)   #8
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't understand how an insurance company can say "its not our fault" (well besides the act of God fine print) - If I were you I'd get a new insurance company - and if an XR6 is a company truck, can I have a job???
Old 26 Dec 2002, 11:18 (Ref:457581)   #9
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both manufacturers have their lemons, shall I mention the EA Falcon.......

Basically if something like this happens, the manufacturer should take full responsibility for it, especially if it is a production fault and even more so if it is under warranty.

Last edited by Forbesy; 26 Dec 2002 at 11:20.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 00:06 (Ref:457895)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lemon Laws

Quote:
Originally posted by Forbesy
Both manufacturers have their lemons, shall I mention the EA Falcon.......

Basically if something like this happens, the manufacturer should take full responsibility for it, especially if it is a production fault and even more so if it is under warranty.
Totally agree - when is this country going to get some decent consumer protection Its three strikes and you're out in the states - same fault, not fixed = new car
Old 27 Dec 2002, 02:33 (Ref:457933)   #11
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Australia doesn't have lemon laws. that's why both ford and holden don't give a toss
Its a small % of cars that have these faults plus they can bank on the Australian mind set to keep coming back .
normally its my dads dad had a Holden/Ford my dad had a Holden/Ford and so on just like pollitcs some familys are labour some are lib's and will always be .
My family are Ford and Labour have been since day dot friends of mine are Holden Labour .
I tend to think for my self I own a wrx things can change
put as for Holden & ford faults I doubt it

Bring on the leamon laws
Old 27 Dec 2002, 03:45 (Ref:457937)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This belongs in the Road Car forum...

I'm sure dramas happen to all new cars, and the more you make of a car, the more lemons you will get...
Old 27 Dec 2002, 05:17 (Ref:457957)   #13
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My company car is a Holden Vectra and at one year and low km's it seems to be falling apart..... maybe that's too harsh, but quite a few minor problems. Not sure I can blame Holden for that as it seems to have been made in Germany with Holden badges added.

On the other hand, Ford fans should be careful about pointing the finger at GM fire hazards.... remember the Pinto?

I think a three strikes rule like 275-GTB suggests, might push the prices way up.... and most of the money would get spend on lawyers, so they don't have to pay out.

Last edited by alfasud; 27 Dec 2002 at 05:23.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 11:22 (Ref:458079)   #14
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is scaring the shyte out of me. I have ignored this thread until I can't take it any longer.

Outside my house is one of the killer Commodores. A brand new VY Wagon with 55 klms on the clock.

It's a work vehicle.

And on Monday morning - I am going to take my life in my hands and go to work in it. Be afraid, be very afraid.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 11:42 (Ref:458094)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just make sure you don't have the child proof lock on the drivers door activated
Old 27 Dec 2002, 12:05 (Ref:458110)   #16
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't do it Crash Dumby Baby!

I ain't going back to they send some expendable guy to takethe death trap back to work. Let someone else risk life and limb to drive a Commodore.

I got something to live for, a new Ford is on the horizon.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 21:39 (Ref:458437)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
I can't do it Crash Dumby Baby!

I ain't going back to they send some expendable guy to takethe death trap back to work. Let someone else risk life and limb to drive a Commodore.

I got something to live for, a new Ford is on the horizon.
You know I couldn't leave something like that alone don't you Mr Moffat

I have but 2 words too say to youFORD EXPLORER
Old 27 Dec 2002, 22:43 (Ref:458480)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

That's OK I don't have Firestones.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 01:20 (Ref:458565)   #19
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
That's OK I don't have Firestones.
Yep but hey it's still a Ford so you can't win them all
Old 28 Dec 2002, 15:12 (Ref:458909)   #20
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idiot relating the BA to the previous fords is kinda stupid. Shares many components but it's a fairly big improvement in all areas over the predecessors. And what with some Mazda guys a few years back having overlooked quality, I imagine things have changed since we had that piece of **** that was an EA.

But we have a recent Magna now and short of the gearbox revision it needed, no woes of any form and great fuel economy.

But if I had the money in a few years, I'd be hunting a Mazdaspeed tweaked Mazda 6 APS that they're considering making production reality. It looks sexier than any sedan of it's class or above, it will go like a bat out of hell, the current one drives superbly and the interior is nice and sexy. Luvverly stuff.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 11:55 (Ref:459447)   #21
The Tool Man
Veteran

Quote:
This is scaring the shyte out of me. I have ignored this thread until I can't take it any longer.

Outside my house is one of the killer Commodores. A brand new VY Wagon with 55 klms on the clock.

It's a work vehicle.

And on Monday morning - I am going to take my life in my hands and go to work in it. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Youll be right- Moff - At least if it happens as you drive into work your in good hands.

You werent the moron that changed the Establishment ( and all others in the area- Including the one over my fence) name into a Health Campus are you ???

Old 29 Dec 2002, 20:32 (Ref:459711)   #22
Airhead
Veteran

No - not guilty.

But it does have a swing '60's ring to it. College girls and all that.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 22:58 (Ref:459800)   #23
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Quote:
Originally posted by golem
Any idiot relating the BA to the previous fords is kinda stupid. Shares many components but it's a fairly big improvement in all areas over the predecessors.
It shares the badge. This is not a bad car as I have said previously after having done some courses on it. BUT it has already had 3 major factory recalls , and the last time Ford did a huge change such as this it resulted in the wonderful EA and AU Falcons
Old 30 Dec 2002, 02:20 (Ref:459890)   #24
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The local dealership has had an XR6 back three times now with the same problem. The coil on the number 4 spark plug keeps failing, and know one seems to know why.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 31 Dec 2002, 06:24 (Ref:460711)   #25
The Tool Man
Veteran

Moff your mate Karen up here says Hi and wants to know how come YOU get a Work Vehicle and she doesnt.

She Liked your take on the health campus thing as well.