Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2840568)   #276
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Remember back during the tyre war era, ...
era!
Old 5 Mar 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2840606)   #277
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
If the following cars tyres do go off quickly then that will surely create some overtaking possibilities for the next guy along?

And, if there's a train of cars following a slowcoach, then I imagine that train will start to trip over one another in frustration which will create some excitement in itself.

These tyres not lasting very long will be a good thing for TV.
What a reality show !
Old 5 Mar 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2840619)   #278
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
What a reality show !
As Martin Whitmarsh put it, the job of the tyre supplier is a "thankless task".

They can supply tyres that last forever or tyres that last a few laps.

The reality is that neither extreme nor anything in between will please everyone.

All we do know is that Pirelli were asked to make these tyres, and maybe the reality is that they have achieved their design brief.
Old 5 Mar 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2840790)   #279
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If the following cars tyres do go off quickly then that will surely create some overtaking possibilities for the next guy along?

And, if there's a train of cars following a slowcoach, then I imagine that train will start to trip over one another in frustration which will create some excitement in itself.

These tyres not lasting very long will be a good thing for TV.

So driving talent will be a real determinant! Not!
Great the true era of the pay drivers has arrived!
Complete lack of talent will be rewarded on a regular basis.

Still think that passing will be the real problem though. Isn't there a designated area of operation only on the main straight, so the passing option will happen once a lap and will either be a blow by or not at all.

It has to be more interesting than it was, but still not motor racing.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 00:06 (Ref:2840837)   #280
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lewis thinks they suck too: http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/42407.html

The only folks that will be happy this season, (beside Marbot) will be the 62,000 Koreans that get cheap seats.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 02:05 (Ref:2840862)   #281
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Lewis thinks they suck too: http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsp...ory/42407.html

The only folks that will be happy this season, (beside Marbot) will be the 62,000 Koreans that get cheap seats.
Lewis thinks they suck because the McLaren sucks, although Button had no complaints.

It would be interesting to hear your suggestion for a 'spec' tyre. Careful now.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 02:08 (Ref:2840863)   #282
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

If it's not interesting, it's not motor racing.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 02:35 (Ref:2840870)   #283
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

"The first run - I didn't think I was pushing very hard - and the tyres were finished after nine laps, down to the canvas." Lewis Hamilton.

Dare we mention wear now?
Old 6 Mar 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2840937)   #284
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So driving talent will be a real determinant! Not!
Great the true era of the pay drivers has arrived!
Complete lack of talent will be rewarded on a regular basis.

At least one of your first 3 statements has long been a factor in F1 unfortunately.

None of the 3 statements has any real bearing on the tyre situation though.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2841025)   #285
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
"The first run - I didn't think I was pushing very hard - and the tyres were finished after nine laps, down to the canvas." Lewis Hamilton.

Dare we mention wear now?
We can mention it with regards to McLarens car. Red Bull, Ferrari, STR, Renault, Sauber and Williams have no such problems (See lap times on page 18).
Old 6 Mar 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2841029)   #286
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I cant help but think that the McLaren is just a too long a wheelbase to be quick.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2841036)   #287
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I cant help but think that the McLaren is just a too long a wheelbase to be quick.
Well there appears to be something amiss (probably a lack of downforce) if it's chewing its tyres up faster than any other car. Could be a bit too late to be making any drastic changes to the cars chassis.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2841208)   #288
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
At least one of your first 3 statements has long been a factor in F1 unfortunately.

None of the 3 statements has any real bearing on the tyre situation though.

Inconsistent tyres do not reward racing talent! They penalise racing/dicing and reward a preservation parade by artificially promoting backmarkers up the order, making it easy to employ pay drivers!
Old 6 Mar 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2841214)   #289
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Interesting you should mention that, I was thinking the same thing. I also wonder how much the wheelbase has to do with the tyre wear experienced by Lewis Hamilton?
Old 7 Mar 2011, 06:21 (Ref:2841288)   #290
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it has probably more to do with LHs driving style than anything else.

And its pretty obvious that adding high wear tyres to F1 will penalise the top drivers, thats the whole point. If they benefitted the top drivers the race outcomes would become more predictable, ala MS early 2000s, just driving off into the distance. It would be very bad for F1 if they introduced regulations that benefitted the top drivers / teams more than it benefitted the less talented drivers / smaller teams.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2841370)   #291
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I think that it's currently more to do with the McLaren's lack of downforce than anything else.

Quote:
And its pretty obvious that adding high wear tyres to F1 will penalise the top drivers, thats the whole point. If they benefitted the top drivers the race outcomes would become more predictable, ala MS early 2000s, just driving off into the distance. It would be very bad for F1 if they introduced regulations that benefitted the top drivers / teams more than it benefitted the less talented drivers / smaller teams.
I think that it will probably hamper the cars rather than the drivers. And yes, no one wants to see Schumacher driving off into the distance with a highly optimized car any more. Although it would seem that some still want as few variables as possible in order that the races become more predictable.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2841547)   #292
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'd imagine that would make the McLaren a bit of handful around Monaco, where a short wheelbase is what you need around there.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2841569)   #293
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
monaco is just 1 race in 18 or 19. i would happily design a dog for 1 race if it was awesome in the rest (not that the McLaren looks like it'll be awesome anywhere.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2841581)   #294
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
General consensus is that the McLaren lacks downforce.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2841618)   #295
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
If you were to pick a corner type and say right "this is what we will be turning left or right around this year", 20-30 years ago it would have been, flat out sweeping fast turns. If you were to say today, I would say it was "tight 2nd gear corners". There has to be more slow corners now in F1 than there were decade or more back. Shorter cars like slow corners.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2841638)   #296
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you were to pick a corner type and say right "this is what we will be turning left or right around this year", 20-30 years ago it would have been, flat out sweeping fast turns. If you were to say today, I would say it was "tight 2nd gear corners". There has to be more slow corners now in F1 than there were decade or more back. Shorter cars like slow corners.
Slower corners also mean less downforce - therefore more tyre wear.......
Old 7 Mar 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2841647)   #297
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's all about packaging though, isn't it? Where do you put the KERS? Sidepods or between the fuel tank and engine? Do you need it at all?

Red Bull have KERS too, but you wouldn't think so just by looking at that compared to the McLaren.

I also seem to remember that it was the cars that were better in the high speed corners that came out best last season.

A quote from Ross Brawn at the 2010 Barcelona GP.

Mercedes boss Ross Brawn broke down exactly how the Red Bull is setting such unreachable lap times in qualifying trim,

“We can see where they are quick,” he said.”Turn 9, the high speed corner, they are quite exceptional through. It’s high speed corners and this is a track where there are lots of high speed corners. That’s their strength."
Old 7 Mar 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2841663)   #298
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed. Red Bull did not consider their car would be quickest at all the races in 2010 - just quickest at enough circuits over the season.....

Where the combination of corners at a given circuit did not suit their advantage, they expected to be second/third best to other teams.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2841664)   #299
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
An interesting quote from Paul Hembrey at the last day of the Barcelona test:

"In terms of degradation that's a straight line relationship with wear. That has been much greater than what you will see when we get to the warm conditions. We could change. Ultimately, if the public perceive us as a bad product we can go more extreme and make a tyre that stays the same for the whole race, doesn't degrade, doesn't do anything.

We were asked to do something different, which is very challenging and far more difficult than to do it the other way. To make a tyre last 25 laps, which is what we're talking for a two-stop strategy - you want to force the changes for pitstops. If you take Canada from last year as an example, that's the type of thing we're trying to get. It's much easier to make a tyre that lasts all day."

If the public do perceive Pirelli to be a bad product, should they then take the easy way out?
Old 7 Mar 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2841790)   #300
wnut
Veteran

Quote:

I would much rather see a great driver drive off into the distance than a mediocre player win a game of chance.

The FIA have already skewed all the legislation against the lesser teams by making aero so dominant and not allowing them to test which makes corporate knowledge and experience all important, both of which are difficult in a new team.

How many pay riders are there in MotoGP?

We all know why don't we?

I think Pirelli should bring the tyre that remains consistant throughout the race () and the FIA should get its regulations right!