Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Feb 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2828195)   #151
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Button is currently on at 11/1 for the championship...
http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en...ship-2011.html
Old 9 Feb 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2828199)   #152
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Good odds!

Nick Heidfeld is at 125/1. The same odds as Petrov and Kobayashi, and he hasn't even got a drive yet!?
Old 9 Feb 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2828340)   #153
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
15 laps....

That could be as many as 4 stops at some races.

However, the necessity to stop will not be dictated by the amount of fuel onboard, and will be dictated by the cars/drivers ability. So in that respect, it keeps everyone guessing.
Whether a driver had to do another refuel pit stop was equally dictated by the car and/or driver ability: a more fuel-efficient car could do more laps on the same amount of fuel and a driver could also drive more conservative and thereby save fuel.

However, with the current computer software being able to make an incredible number of calculations in no-time, teams are likely to find the absolute point of strategic perfection or at least being very close to it. That's why I don't think this artificial messing-up is a long term solution. In fact, it was already proven in 2008. In that season Bridgestone tried to do the same and within a couple of races they found out it didn't work.
Old 9 Feb 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2828345)   #154
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Good odds!

Nick Heidfeld is at 125/1. The same odds as Petrov and Kobayashi, and he hasn't even got a drive yet!?
He's on at 12/1 at Ladbrokes.

I think I may actually have a flutter on Button for WDC on those odds. 20 quid maybe.
Old 9 Feb 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2828382)   #155
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
That's what i'm thinking. I rekon Button's going to manage these soft tyres very well given his track record.

Selby
Old 9 Feb 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2828645)   #156
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nick Wirth thinks that Button, in particular, will be "rubbing his hands" in anticipation of the new Pirelli tyres. But, in general, thinks that the season will be a "vintage" one.

"And it is the ones who keep calm when the whole world, or the four tyres, are falling apart that will succeed. They have to hang on in there and think that everyone else is in the same trouble – it is going to be fascinating."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89364
Old 9 Feb 2011, 22:09 (Ref:2828760)   #157
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What about the tyres ? What are the odds ?
Old 10 Feb 2011, 01:36 (Ref:2828850)   #158
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Of them staying on the car? (Wink)....
Old 13 Feb 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2830611)   #159
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Everything going to plan says Pirelli.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89466

A 3 second lap time gap between the super-soft and the hard tyre should keep things interesting, even though it's unlikely they'll be used at the same race.

Last season there was quite often no discernible difference in lap time from one compound to another.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2830641)   #160
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Eau Rouge will be interesting on worn tyres.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2830645)   #161
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Eau Rouge will be interesting on worn tyres.
Eau Rouge is usually interesting on any tyres!

The throttle works both ways, as they say.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2830756)   #162
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Eau Rouge is usually interesting on any tyres!

The throttle works both ways, as they say.
Thats my one worry though. Someone say takes Eau Rouge flat out on their 12th lap or something, still quite a lot of fuel on board, they lose the back end, have a big shunt, then blame the tyres for being "dangerous".

Watch and see if im wrong!
Old 13 Feb 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2830786)   #163
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The super softs are like the old quali tyres good for one lap and then totally shot..

I also hate this stupid rule that you must use both componds and start the race on what you qualified on.. its silly.

Let teams run what ever they want.. I remember back in the days when Senna was in the Mclared, Good Year had a,b,c,d compounds.. places like Hungary, I remember they would sometimes use different compounds left and right side or front and rear..
Old 14 Feb 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2830977)   #164
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
The only problem with that is the super softs would genuinely be completely useless in race conditions.

I wish it wasn't compulsory that the drivers had to stop - that'd be good.

Selby
Old 14 Feb 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2831136)   #165
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
The only problem with that is the super softs would genuinely be completely useless in race conditions.
Probably best not to qualify on them then ?

I don't think that they are that bad. It's just that it appears you've only really got one shot at a good lap on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I wish it wasn't compulsory that the drivers had to stop - that'd be good.

Selby
Indeed it would.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2831205)   #166
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fine then...
Old 16 Feb 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2832078)   #167
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Pirelli have allocated the tyres for the first four races. They have also decided to 'gap' the compounds in the same way that Bridgestone did, on occasion.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89506
Old 16 Feb 2011, 13:37 (Ref:2832116)   #168
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Old 16 Feb 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2832246)   #169
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Well, I guess that they are just the 'round black things' after all.

I'll go and see what's happening in one of those 'driver threads' because it's that sort of thing that makes F1 different from all of the rest.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2832282)   #170
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Go for it, kid !
Old 16 Feb 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2832297)   #171
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Damn, there isn't one any more.

The other interesting thing about the Pirelli tyres is that.....
Old 16 Feb 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2832347)   #172
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Damn, there isn't one any more.

The other interesting thing about the Pirelli tyres is that.....

Do not despair yet - they are Pirelli after all ...
Old 17 Feb 2011, 02:28 (Ref:2832474)   #173
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well, I guess that they are just the 'round black things' after all.

I'll go and see what's happening in one of those 'driver threads' because it's that sort of thing that makes F1 different from all of the rest.
What are we going to do with U.....
Old 18 Feb 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2833466)   #174
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Pirelli makes durable, but low grip intermediate tyre. Whose hands will that play into, I wonder?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89559
Old 18 Feb 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2833482)   #175
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Pirelli makes durable, but low grip intermediate tyre. Whose hands will that play into, I wonder?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89559
Hmm, low grip? Meaning lots of moaning drivers when its wet "don't start the race, its too wet, I have no grip etc"?