Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jun 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2720116)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Pirelli to go "aggressive" with tyres.

And a good thing too! Because, apart from Canada, tyre management hasn't really been an issue this season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84895
Old 30 Jun 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2720245)   #2
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far I think Pirelli and their tires is the only thing to really look forward to next season? Good that they are trying to improve the race in a non-artificial manner.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2720325)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yes its a good sign, making the tyres wider would be the best option, but I guess logic doesn't come into a lot of these decisions.

However the real problem is still yet to be tackled. Downforce will increase again next year and we will be back right back where we started.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2720327)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will it? The diffuser heights are being reduced.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2720336)   #5
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
2009 was supposed to be a huge aero reduction, cars ended up with more downforce than 2008. This season is the same, 2011 the cars will be engineered with more downforce despite 'cutting back on aero'
Old 30 Jun 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2720372)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It's difficult really. I think unless there's a legitimate slash in aero completely (which would mean huge staff lay offs with all the team's aero departments), then I doubt we'll eradicate this issue.

I have no doubt in my mind next season will continue to spout all sorts of winglets and vanes, somehow. And the cars will easily have more downforce than say, 2008. As the old saying goes, you can't unlearn what you've learnt. These cars will get stickier and stickier unless there's a gigantic rule change, but for many reasons, this won't happen.

Selby
Old 30 Jun 2010, 15:23 (Ref:2720399)   #7
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this could be great for F1 if Pirelli can get it right - but it is a big 'if'.

There could be the prospect that a two stop or even a three stop strategy on super softs would be faster than a single stop to change from 'Prime' to 'Option', or the other way round, that we have at the moment. The situation where the difference between different strategies is only slight would make for a more entertaining race for the spectator.

But it is important, I think, that a car on softer tyres should always be able to overtake other cars on a harder tyre regardless of the aero setup. If that isn't possible, then teams will be reluctant to make more pit stops because the chance of ending up in traffic that can't be passed. This will deter teams from choosing tyre/race strategies that are 'theoretically' faster but only work without the traffic lottery so in the main they will 'play safe' to maintain track position, I suspect.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 18:09 (Ref:2720459)   #8
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What isn't artificial about a tyre that degrades fast?

Dump the two compound per race rule and let the teams choose their tyres based on what works best for them. The strategies will be all over the place.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2720519)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

But it is important, I think, that a car on softer tyres should always be able to overtake other cars on a harder tyre regardless of the aero setup. If that isn't possible, then teams will be reluctant to make more pit stops because the chance of ending up in traffic that can't be passed. This will deter teams from choosing tyre/race strategies that are 'theoretically' faster but only work without the traffic lottery so in the main they will 'play safe' to maintain track position, I suspect.
If Kobayashi can overtake Alonso in a Sauber again, then it will be well worth looking forward to.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2720543)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
It's difficult really. I think unless there's a legitimate slash in aero completely (which would mean huge staff lay offs with all the team's aero departments), then I doubt we'll eradicate this issue.

I have no doubt in my mind next season will continue to spout all sorts of winglets and vanes, somehow. And the cars will easily have more downforce than say, 2008. As the old saying goes, you can't unlearn what you've learnt. These cars will get stickier and stickier unless there's a gigantic rule change, but for many reasons, this won't happen.

Selby
I dont really agree with that. If aero was slashed in terms of "generating downforce", the emphasis would be shifted onto creating a car that was as slippery as possible, so the aero guys would still have stuff to do.
Old 30 Jun 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2720544)   #11
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

Dump the two compound per race rule and let the teams choose their tyres based on what works best for them. The strategies will be all over the place.
Well all cars get the same tires, it's up to the drivers to keep them degrading. Better than some lame push to pass.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 04:01 (Ref:2720611)   #12
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post

What is artificial about a tyre that degrades quickly, the option of running the full distance on a harder tyre might be worth the lower position in P3, or maybe 2 or three stops on softer might be the answer.
The only fact is that in our predictions some of us will be right and some of us will be wrong.

PS Where's the spell check on this thing.

Last edited by Tall Chris; 1 Jul 2010 at 04:03. Reason: Should have read it first