Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Mar 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1533806)   #1
MikeBz
Racer

MikeBz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fire extinguishers for 2006 (again...)

Blue Book for 2006 states that AFFF extinguishers must be FIA/MSA homologated. Does anyone know if this can be identified by a sticker or marking on the device? I have a plumbed in SPA Fireeater 2.25l bottle, but can't find anything on it to say it's FIA/MSA approved.

Also, how will this be checked at scrutineering? The bottle is under the base of the drivers seat which is bolted down. The only bit of it visible is the lever mechanism at the top of the bottle (so you can see if the pin is in or not).

Mike
Old 1 Mar 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1534094)   #2
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't answer your question directly as regards your particular extinguisher. The extinguisher was well buried in my last car - I was only ever asked once to expose it to the extent scrutineer could check date and weight but they usually require to check the pressure gauge reads full. A mirror on a telescopic stick will usually do the job but don't expect the scrutineer to provide it!
If the master cylinder tops are tight and restricted also something to get them undone without running back to the padddock so fluid levels can be checked. Chances are if you are prepared to be able to do it it will never be asked for - but I wasn't and it was. Fortunately BTDT in the car behind had a big screwdriver to knock them undone.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1534127)   #3
MikeBz
Racer

Thanks Mark. Excuse my ignorance, so do you go to scrutineering with bodywork, nosecone etc off so that they have access to fluid reservoirs and such?

Mike
Old 1 Mar 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1534135)   #4
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mike
Not sure if you are new to racing or just new to single seaters. A list of FIA/MSA extinguisher's are available from either the MSA/FIA and as far as I know are on there website although sometimes it does take a bit of looking for.
As scrutineers we can ask to see the whole bottle, and even as mentioned take it out to weigh it. And it is up to you as the driver to prove that your gear is up to the job. And you must turn up with ALL of the body work for the car as we need to make sure that the stickers ect are all in the right place.
But most of the time we are happy with being able to see the dial (in the green ) and if possible a service log.
Any questions just drop me a quick PM
P.S
I have my own mirror on a stick LOL
Old 1 Mar 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1534169)   #5
MikeBz
Racer

Thanks! I'm new to both.

Mike
Old 1 Mar 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1534238)   #6
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful things, mirrors on sticks.........every toolbox should have one. And a magnet on a stick too.

The other favourite Mike is throttle return springs. Usual recommendation if you are running twin Webers is two springs for the throttle linkage - usually to the throttle lever operating arm between the two carbs with an additional spring on the opposite end of each spindle giving 4 in total. This will usually pass without further comment. Any fewer may lead to discussion about various theoretically possible but improbable failure modes that could leave you with one or more throttles stuck open. Different scrutineers have different ideas of what is required - fit the 4 and save yourself the stress and argument. Arguing with scrutineer is seriously uncool and won't improve his or your day. I've PM'd my phone no. if you want any more advice on what needs doing and when on you first few race days.