Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jun 2000, 14:17 (Ref:17995)   #1
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curious about this one...

Would you miss F1 if it were somehow disbanded and all the other teams and drivers went back to 'honest' racing in various areas of the sport ?

Would it really be that bad not to see a procession every Sunday ?

Would it really be that bad not to see who has the biggest motorhome/truck/airplane this week ?

Would it really be that bad not to see team orders deciding race results before the lights go green - hell we wouldn't even be missing that, cause we don't have green lights anymore!

Would it really be that bad. Fullstop ?
Old 19 Jun 2000, 14:31 (Ref:18005)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes.
Besides, there is already "honest racing in various other" formulae.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 15:10 (Ref:18023)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will always be a need for a showcase for stuck up pretty boys and those who dance attendance on them. And people who think style is substance will always need a place to go play and stay out of the way of people who want to watch racing.

No, don't disband it. Just quietly go play somewhere they are really racing.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 15:28 (Ref:18033)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am still exhausted from being at the Canadian GP. While the F1 race featuring all of the stuck up pretty boys and the bigger cars was what everybody was waiting for, there were some other good "honest" racing series there to provide the balance. And the good thing is that about 85% of the people who go to a GP weekend don't even bother to watch them. That is why you can get up close to some of the most exciting racing from the little F1600s and Formula Atlantics you will see all weekend. But, in the end F1 is still what we are all waiting to see.

Point is, don't get rid of F1. It may be a procession of stuck up pretty boys in cars that are ridiculously expensive, but we still like it. And if you want "real" racing, there are usually a few other series at each race that provide it.
Old 19 Jun 2000, 17:26 (Ref:18059)   #5
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get too carried away, Jay, Bernie will catch up with that soon too... At the British GP, we got the GP, Porsche Supercup and some old historic thing with Frank Sytner The best fun we had all day was getting out of the car park
Old 19 Jun 2000, 23:17 (Ref:18131)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disband F1??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There's another intellectual comment from moi.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 18:32 (Ref:18550)   #7
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like God, if Formula One did not exist, it would be necessary for us to invent it.

I have no idea what that means. It just sounded good.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 18:58 (Ref:18555)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...Another quote from the collected writings of NeilC.

Actually Neil has a point, if it didn't exist now, it would invent itself.

I had a close woman friend who once said that the essence of being Male was "Going Fast, Being Loud, and Breaking Things". ergo; Formula One.

Whenever people have too much money, they dream up irresponsible and wonderous ways to blow it. And I say "Amen!"
Old 21 Jun 2000, 19:39 (Ref:18564)   #9
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well. To tell you the truth I do like to see the difference between the teams and I like to see all this super Hi-tech stuff and all the glamour and everything that F1 has. Perhaps I would like the difference between the teams be more progressive. I mean. This year we have Mclaren and ferrari with like 70+ points on the constructors and behind them there's benetton with 18 (i think). That's what really makes it boring because unless you're driving a silver or red car you have no chance. But I have high hopes for the future with the arival of Renault and the Improovement on the long term of Williams-BMW.

But I still like to see that performance difference between the teams (mainly because of the technical aspect. Take CART for instance. Everybody has more or less the same car and it's not a rare thing to see 3 or 4 cars fighting for the lead and I'm not gonna lie....there have been some pretty exciting races....but it still lacks that "something" that F1 has.
Old 22 Jun 2000, 00:06 (Ref:18639)   #10
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART does seem to lack something. It's not as compelling I guess, for some reason.
Old 22 Jun 2000, 03:18 (Ref:18664)   #11
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that CART mainly lacks.....let me put it this way. CART is race day with the drivers and the cars and everything. That part is great. But it lacks all that "behind the scenes" world. The speculation, the rumors, the controvertial declarations, the top secret world....I think you guys know what I mean.

I mean....I participated in many CARt forums and there was a lot of discussion about the race and drivers but there was none for the "other world".

And...also the yellow flags and that it's still pretty local...although it's become more global in recent year...But the series is still great...So I watch both (F1 and CART) and have twice the fun!
Old 22 Jun 2000, 04:28 (Ref:18671)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Sharky. F1 has something that makes you excited to go to the track each day. Cart doesn't have that. The only day I get excited for in Cart is raceday. The rest of the time is all just practice, and is usually boring.

Although I have to give it to Cart. For about $230CAD (about $155 USD) total, you can have the most expensive seats, paddock access, and pit access at Molson Indy Toronto.

The most expensive seats at Montreal cost, I believe $350 CAD, which is cheap by international standards. And I believe pit and paddock access run you up over $1000.
Now there is the real difference between the two series!!
[Edited by Jay on 22nd June 2000]
Old 26 Jun 2000, 10:50 (Ref:19561)   #13
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YEs I would miss it a hell of a lot F1 just has something that CART and other racing dosn't don't know why?