Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 1 Feb 2002, 04:12 (Ref:208007)   #51
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just have to put my 10 cents in here, on behalf of our XF Falcon.

Now, I am a Holden girl, always have been - BUT (and its a big one) after having to rely on our Falcon for the past little while, as our day to day car, I can not sit back at watch them getting canned here!!

You will see, anywhere on Australian roads, lots of early 80's Falcons. Why? Because they keep going! Any early model car, if abused and uncared for, will rust - much like the one in the photo (perfect size btw ) that Ray took.

However, there are LOTS of them still getting around, in good order, which are cheap to buy and run. We travel 120kms per day to work and back, and our Falcon never lets us down - yes the darn door handles fall off..but to spend $20 a year (average) to replace them - heck - I dont care!!

It has to tow horse floats, it has to put up with peak hour traffic and the aforementioned kms, it has to live outside (no garage - the HQ gets that), it gets driven around the paddocks with a gate dragging off the tow bar to spread horse mess (until we get a Tractor), goes on dirt roads and tracks with ease....all of this, and everyday, all day, it still drives like a dream, and never lets us down.

We take good care of it - it never misses a service, is washed regularly and oil/water checked daily(ish).

No - you would never do this to a decent new car...which is WHY the Falcon, and similar type cars, are invaluable.

*grins and steps off soap box*
Old 1 Feb 2002, 06:56 (Ref:208034)   #52
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Diabando
... yes the darn door handles fall off..but to spend $20 a year (average) to replace them - heck - I dont care!!
The doorhandles are an easy fix, and you're getting out of it lightly indeed if it's only $20 a year. They're about $15 each, I believe, so just one a year is good going...

The trick is to lean on the door before lifting the handle. This unloads the lock so the handles meets less resistance.

I'd post a photo but...

The other things I'll say in support of your post are these:

The Falcons are gutsy enough to tow well, surefooted enough to get the job done, but they do need a couple of little mods to make life easier.

Better camber adjustment bolts are a must. K-Mac make them, and I guess others do too... hitting a few decent bumps will knock the camber out, this puts the toe-in out, the tyres wear and they're heavy to steer.

Keep an eye on valve timing. The keyways flog out in the crankshaft, so the timing gears move... leaving them a bit gutless.

Dampers, like with all cars, should be kept up to scratch.
Old 1 Feb 2002, 13:28 (Ref:208141)   #53
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ray...

OK - so I replaced two door handles in nearly 300,000 klicks. Not at all bad. Sure it leaked like the Exon tanker at the end. But it still went every day.

No great rust problem, despite the sea side address.

I used to joke to the kids that it was a Harley Riders Car. And I guess that was true.

I saw the car a year ago in Beautific Bellingen (think country atmosphere, hippies, George Negus and Jack Thompson) and it had a four speed manual tranny instead of the auto, some more rust, and no grill.

Very impressive indeed.
Old 1 Feb 2002, 13:33 (Ref:208144)   #54
Ray Bell
Veteran

How you can possibly mention the most beautiful area in Australia in the same breath as a Falcon... can I ever forgive you?
Old 1 Feb 2002, 20:11 (Ref:208369)   #55
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats enough Falcon bashing for now, thanks!
Old 1 Feb 2002, 21:04 (Ref:208454)   #56
Ray Bell
Veteran

Oh? Why is that?
Old 1 Feb 2002, 21:31 (Ref:208522)   #57
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Because it's starting to get boring perhaps ?
Old 1 Feb 2002, 21:45 (Ref:208551)   #58
Ray Bell
Veteran

Funny? I haven't seen much of it at all, and mostly just banter between Crash Test and a couple of others... this must surely be the first post I've ever made that could be construed as Falcon bashing at all...
Old 1 Feb 2002, 22:38 (Ref:208618)   #59
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
zzzzz...