Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Aug 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2944100)   #451
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The shared races with ILMC/LMS and ILMC/ALMS are working really fine - big grids, well-attended and the mix of the big fishes and the smaller ones fighting together - so I think it isn't a very good idea to skip these type of events... but we will see what will happen and still nothing is fixed definitively...

Old 22 Aug 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2944235)   #452
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Providing budgets and schedules allow I don't see why LMS entrants wouldn't enter European WEC rounds.

I don't know if it will happen but it would be good if the South American WEC round was part of the ALMS, or at least provision made for ALMS teams to enter.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2944392)   #453
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I don't know if it will happen but it would be good if the South American WEC round was part of the ALMS, or at least provision made for ALMS teams to enter.
Hopefully so. They'll probably want the additional car count.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2944715)   #454
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Rather than an ALMS round in South America, I'd do an American Le Mans Cup with Sebring, South America and Long Beach. That way, poorer ALMS teams wouldn't be at disadvantage.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2944809)   #455
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did you mean Road America instead of South America?

highly doubt Long Beach.

Maybe Sebring, Road America and Petit, but still wishful thinking.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2944831)   #456
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And add a Canadian round at Mosport!
Old 24 Aug 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2945099)   #457
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Unfortunately Mosport isn't up to FIA standards.

However there have been rumours that the Nascar/Grand-Am weekend at Montreal might not gone in the next year or two.

With Montreal only allowed to hold two race weekends a year I can't help but think that WEC would make a good replacement.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 24 Aug 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2945129)   #458
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Unfortunately Mosport isn't up to FIA standards.

However there have been rumours that the Nascar/Grand-Am weekend at Montreal might not gone in the next year or two.

With Montreal only allowed to hold two race weekends a year I can't help but think that WEC would make a good replacement.
+1
Old 24 Aug 2011, 17:00 (Ref:2945230)   #459
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Here is something that shouldnt be allowed to happen .

Oreca did all the races up to and including Le mans , but hasnt showed up since with the Pug .
They are also planning on doing PLM .

I raised this question at the start of the thread . Whats to stop a team from competing in the events up to Le Mans , and pulling out afterwards ..... the answer was given : "unless they want a workshop full of chassis and gear and no place to race it" might prevent this , obviously not .

Oreca came out with the excuse of a lack of spares ..... I reckon thats a crap excuse , considering that Pug must have had at least 4 tubs available , 3 for Le Mans plus a spare , and Oreca would not have commited to a series if the parts were not there to do the season . They would have known this when they originaly announced their plans .

So , again , how do you stop this from happening in the WEC ?
Old 24 Aug 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2945246)   #460
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Here is something that shouldnt be allowed to happen .

Oreca did all the races up to and including Le mans , but hasnt showed up since with the Pug .
They are also planning on doing PLM .

I raised this question at the start of the thread . Whats to stop a team from competing in the events up to Le Mans , and pulling out afterwards ..... the answer was given : "unless they want a workshop full of chassis and gear and no place to race it" might prevent this , obviously not .

Oreca came out with the excuse of a lack of spares ..... I reckon thats a crap excuse , considering that Pug must have had at least 4 tubs available , 3 for Le Mans plus a spare , and Oreca would not have commited to a series if the parts were not there to do the season . They would have known this when they originaly announced their plans .

So , again , how do you stop this from happening in the WEC ?
I don't know, tougher fines? I don't think that Oreca used an ILMC entry to guarantee a spot at Le Mans. I'm pretty sure they would have been given an entry even if that was the only race they ran. Oreca seems to have other things going on...
Old 24 Aug 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2945248)   #461
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
No , I dont think they did either , at least not on porpose , but it certainly panned out that way with respect to the ILMC .
Old 24 Aug 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2945262)   #462
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://translate.google.com/translat...%2F250897.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turun Sanomat
Räikköstä on kaavailtu jo Pedro Lamyn tai Nicolas Minassianin tilalle Peugeotin Le Mans -miehistöön. 24 tunnin kisan lisäksi mahdollinen sopimus edellyttäisi muitakin kestävyyskoitoksia.
– Jos menisin Peugeotille, tulisi ainakin kolme testikisaa varsinaisen Le Mansin lisäksi, Räikkönen selvitti.
Ignore the rest but this indicates that there should be at least three WEC rounds before Le Mans next year. Unless Pug goes whacko and does an extra ALMS round
Old 24 Aug 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2945266)   #463
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I don't think that Oreca used an ILMC entry to guarantee a spot at Le Mans. I'm pretty sure they would have been given an entry even if that was the only race they ran.
Agreed, but I still think there's a big loophole in the rules. Unless you have a really good reason that you can prove 100%, there should be larger sanctions than fines or whatever kitty litter ACO might or might not give. Like excluding you from next year's Le Mans, taking off all your championship points or dismissing automic entry you might have gotten

Bad excuses include
"Our car is ready but not properly tested yet!!!"
"Our car belongs to someone else who needs it so we must miss the next rounds, but we'll come back next year"
"We are too busy/concerned so we'll be missing the next few races"
"We just lost one of our sponsors so it's goodbye I guess"
"BoP doesn't favour us so bye"
"Logistics make it impossible for us to travel there"
"Results haven't been what we expected"
"We realised endurance racing isn't for us"

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Aug 2011 at 19:24.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2945272)   #464
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
No , I dont think they did either , at least not on porpose , but it certainly panned out that way with respect to the ILMC .
ORECA aren't competing because they are putting together a (semi) factory deal for 2012, something the ACO will likely be aware of.

There's a difference between a team with a long-term commitment and some rich individual who enters the WEC to guarantee a Le Mans entry before bolting.
Old 24 Aug 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2945316)   #465
The Badger
Veteran

Ask Larbre about long term commitments ..... supporters of ACO races for eons ..... shafted (a few years back) for doing no less than others are doing .

But yes , I generally agree with your comment Jag
Old 24 Aug 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2945319)   #466
Deleted
Veteran

You mean 2009 with the Saleen? Yeah that was pretty pitiful from ACO
Old 24 Aug 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2945343)   #467
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oreca had an LMP1 auto-invite this year at Le Mans due to their 2010 LMS championship. Their ILMC entry wasn't some sort of scam to back into the 24 hours.

The fact that Oreca even entered the ILMC was a bit of a surprise. At first it seemed like Oreca did not have the money and/or their sponsors did not want to race overseas. Something like that, I think there were even quotes on that topic. Then they announced they were in. Maybe Oreca (perhaps with Peugeot's help) had a secret backroom deal with the ACO to do a partial season anyway.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 02:42 (Ref:2945422)   #468
JAG
Veteran

England
Looks like Sebring and PLM will both be in the WEC according to Atherton in Autosport. The deadlines getting a bit tight to include a South American round for 2012 given the calender will be announced in September.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 05:29 (Ref:2945447)   #469
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like Sebring and PLM will both be in the WEC according to Atherton in Autosport. The deadlines getting a bit tight to include a South American round for 2012 given the calender will be announced in September.
That would be fantastic if true. Ok, maybe not for Peugeot and the South American fans, but it's good news for the rest of us. Of course, this could just be empty optimism from Atherton. We'll have to see, but it would be great for Petit to score another miracle inclusion.

How would Petit work with the penciled in Fuji date? Are there any issues in that regard?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2945534)   #470
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
That would be fantastic if true. Ok, maybe not for Peugeot and the South American fans, but it's good news for the rest of us. Of course, this could just be empty optimism from Atherton. We'll have to see, but it would be great for Petit to score another miracle inclusion.

How would Petit work with the penciled in Fuji date? Are there any issues in that regard?
Put the Petit back a couple of weeks and run it second half of October, done before. Or change the Fuji date. Either way: great news if true!
Old 25 Aug 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2945731)   #471
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF31 View Post
Did you mean Road America instead of South America?
No, I really meant South America (or Brazil, to make it clearer). It would run from March to April/May as a tour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Only if ti moved to right after Long Beach. But I prefer three races.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2945747)   #472
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think Im going to wait until the schedule is announced.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2945806)   #473
JAG
Veteran

England
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110825/ALMS/110829915
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2945808)   #474
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
So Atherton **thinks/hopes** they will be on the schedule, but isn't certain as of yet. (Or can't say)
Old 25 Aug 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2945823)   #475
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
On this one, I think Scott could actually have the ball in his court. That is, he could tell them that the two come as a package. Also, the WEC organizers must know that they probably can't get all that great a grid here unless they partner with the ALMS. So, they can either take it, or Scott can just about scuttle the World Championship status of the WEC right there.

Honestly, I'm NOT holding my breath on a Brazilian round materializing, and without LMS/ALMS support/entries, they can't expect a great turnout for a race down there. Even if they do get a round, you can bet they will be calling in back-up from entries in the Itaipava GT Brasil series to fill out the field with GT3s.