Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Nov 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2987779)   #851
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No ALMS program has been announced. All seem to be waiting for the others to confirm, which could result in self-destruction if nobody acts
If they are planning no racing in LMP 2 next year doesn't mean they already have a are or need to think about putting an order in for one
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:35 (Ref:2987839)   #852
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
If they are planning no racing in LMP 2 next year doesn't mean they already have a are or need to think about putting an order in for one
Me fail english? Unpossible!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2988011)   #853
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Pardon my asking, but which meetings are you referring to? and who is Mr. Viper?
Quote:
Riley boss Bill Riley, who attended last week's Le Mans rule meetings on behalf of Dodge, would not comment on his relationship with Dodge.
Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...#ixzz1e0hcymmU
Old 18 Nov 2011, 00:01 (Ref:2988012)   #854
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Had to read that a few times...

Well surely 1-2 of the potential 4-5 cars are Level 5. They aren't going to race alone, and won't announce where they'll be until someone else does.

It seems that the others don't want to announce and order, until someone else does, so that they can ensure that there are cars in the class to race. Perhaps someone can arrange to get these people in a room together, and they can all announce at the same time? It is highly improbable that these cars will be Riley's, as Riley has to have TWO orders to even bother building a car, and crash testing it. It would seem as though the best option would be Oreca Nissan, in my opinion.

So, 4-5 cars in LMP2, is more cars than expected in LMP1 then if I read Dagys right. So, assume 5 LMP2 cars in Dagys statement, and you come out with a maximum of FOUR LMP1 cars. So Dyson x2, Cytosport and maybe Autocon?

Woot!!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 00:08 (Ref:2988015)   #855
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
So, 4-5 cars in LMP2, is more cars than expected in LMP1 then if I read Dagys right. So, assume 5 LMP2 cars in Dagys statement, and you come out with a maximum of FOUR LMP1 cars. So Dyson x2, Cytosport and maybe Autocon?
Dagys did say this a few minutes ago:

Quote:
Pickett Racing is expected to announce its ALMS plans shortly, including a likely second full-season entry to go along with the purchase of a new LMP1 car.

It's believed the team is leaning towards Wirth Research's HPD ARX-03a, which Strakka Racing will also campaign in the new FIA World Endurance Championship.
In the same story is this:

Quote:
It came at a time of uncertainty in the future of the prototype regulations in the ALMS, which have since been confirmed as remaining open to grandfathered LMP1 cars but also under more control from IMSA.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...olex-24-plans/

Now two cars does not mean two LMP1s or even one LMP1 and one LMP2. It could be a LMP1 and LMPC. So who knows, but maybe there is hope for two LMP1s.

As for the uncertainty in the regulations, I wonder how far the ALMS will go in changing their regs from the ACO regs aside from the continued grandfathering. I guess that is the million dollar question at the moment. I wonder if there is anyone hoping that the ALMS will let their cars rip and then commit to running a car. That may not happen in 2012, but what about 2013 and so forth. We'll see.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 00:13 (Ref:2988017)   #856
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am still convinced that one of the teams looking at P2 is Black Swan.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 01:40 (Ref:2988040)   #857
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Thanks Jag, I wasn't sure if you were referring to another meeting past that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Had to read that a few times...

Well surely 1-2 of the potential 4-5 cars are Level 5. They aren't going to race alone, and won't announce where they'll be until someone else does.

It seems that the others don't want to announce and order, until someone else does, so that they can ensure that there are cars in the class to race. Perhaps someone can arrange to get these people in a room together, and they can all announce at the same time? It is highly improbable that these cars will be Riley's, as Riley has to have TWO orders to even bother building a car, and crash testing it. It would seem as though the best option would be Oreca Nissan, in my opinion.
I think somebody is also planning a P2 program with an Oak chassis, if the rumblings of Oak establishing a US distributor turn out correct. And, 4 P1's and 4 P2's would still be better than last season! Woot Woot! The best the ALMS can hope for in 2012, is getting 1 or 2 more cars in P1 and maybe actually having a P2 class. If that works, then it is something to build on for 2013. As much as I want to see the P classes grow, I think it will only happen incrementally.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2988042)   #858
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
With four or five teams considering P2 entries, and zero confirmed, I would hope it's a priority to get people talking and signed up.

Perceptions and momentum count for so much, often people come out of the woodwork if they see a good thing building, if things drag, you not only put them off, you can be left high and dry if the entrants you're counting on pull their programs.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2988063)   #859
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry studying for college exams for 8 hours fried my brain

If they are planning on racing in LMP 2 next year doesn't that mean they already have a car or need to think about putting an order in for one
Old 18 Nov 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2988283)   #860
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Now two cars does not mean two LMP1s or even one LMP1 and one LMP2. It could be a LMP1 and LMPC. So who knows, but maybe there is hope for two LMP1s.
I don't think they will run a P2 car as well as P1, and two P1s is certainly out of the question... they just don't exist and that is too much money for that little team. I would expect a P1 and a PC car... maybe with pay drivers.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2988292)   #861
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I would expect a P1 and a PC car... maybe with pay drivers.
Me too but with Drissi (already sponsored by Muscle Milk) and Marcelli in the LMPC car making the switch from Intersport. Should be favorites for the title then. Would like to see Marcelli in a P1 car but he will end up in one pretty soon anyway.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2988304)   #862
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I don't think they will run a P2 car as well as P1, and two P1s is certainly out of the question... they just don't exist and that is too much money for that little team. I would expect a P1 and a PC car... maybe with pay drivers.
They already have the Porsche Cup car they ran in IMSA GT3 Cup. Maybe they'll just move up to GTC with that in addition to a P1.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2988346)   #863
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think somebody is also planning a P2 program with an Oak chassis,.
Wouldnt that be United Autosports then . They ran one at PLM already with the intention of a 2012 campaign .
Old 18 Nov 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2988347)   #864
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dagys said it isn't United.
Old 19 Nov 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2988716)   #865
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
New cup team to swell the ranks .

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-8812.html
Old 19 Nov 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2988748)   #866
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Doesn't sound too different from their program from 2011. Perhaps more races?

Chris
Old 20 Nov 2011, 00:46 (Ref:2988974)   #867
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good story from Dagys.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ar-superstorm/
Old 20 Nov 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2989076)   #868
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
In all honesty, I'll be very excited to see what the IMSA does after the contract expires in 2013 (?). I think they'll do something special to react to Bahrain (entrywise), but they'll save the big movements for after the contract expires. I think Dr Panoz has at least one trick left for the future
Old 20 Nov 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2989307)   #869
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Baltimore for 2012 is looking a little iffy if the Baltimore Sun is to be believed. Apparently, the organizer of this year's race is far behind in their payments and the Mayor is setting a deadline for full payment sometime in December. So somebody better come up with the loot or else. Sad to see this as I attended the race this year and the crowds were huge and the event was very well received by the fans. Both race days went well. I'm not sure how the organizer managed to foul this up. Stay tuned!

DK
Old 20 Nov 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2989352)   #870
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Both race days went well. I'm not sure how the organizer managed to foul this up. Stay tuned!
Regardless of what the attendance is, street races in the US are almost always mega money losers. That's why the list of failed events is so long. With the fall TBD looking dead, Baltimore looking dead, and Petit on the verge of death without a reschedule, I wonder if the ALMS will consider moving Petit up significantly to avoid the large gaps in the schedule that Dagys was talking about. The France family and the FIA are obviously are bringing their hammers to work from now on out so the ALMS may need to go back and rethink prior commitments.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2990167)   #871
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
In all honesty, I'll be very excited to see what the IMSA does after the contract expires in 2013 (?). I think they'll do something special to react to Bahrain (entrywise), but they'll save the big movements for after the contract expires. I think Dr Panoz has at least one trick left for the future
I hope his next trick is better than this one.

Old 22 Nov 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2990170)   #872
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Please let's not rehash this discussion... it's been done to death ever since it's been first announced. We get it, opinions are very much split on this subject, some people want to see this car in action, some people want to see this car burn in the fiery depths of hell.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2990207)   #873
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
I hope his next trick is better than this one.
Well, let's evaluate Panoz' last two moves. Ok, we know about the DeltaWang and we know about the Assbuttzi. What possibly could be next? I'm thinking he'll build a GT car reminiscent of the Edsel. It would compliment the perfect trio of unclassy (not to mention unclassified) erotic racing cars.

But, hey, maybe we can derive some comedic value from Panoz' latest erections after we hang our heads in shame for being under the thumb of the French Inquinate Association.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2990214)   #874
JAG
Veteran

England
Be interesting to see if the engine partner gives support to the DW, as opposed to only supply, given the four likely candidates are Ford, VAG, PSA and BMW.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2990228)   #875
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Be interesting to see if the engine partner gives support to the DW, as opposed to only supply, given the four likely candidates are Ford, VAG, PSA and BMW.
I'm sure Panoz will take factory money if someone is willing to offer it, but this whole program is nothing but Panoz' personal money grab (I'm not saying other factory type programs aren't, but at least others try to make a race car to race and others generally don't invent their own rulebooks when they come to race) so I'm guessing Panoz/Elan would want exclusive engine rebuild rights or whatever for the 'Wang. Ahh, the glorious situation of a spec-car money grab. Don't you just love it?