Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Nov 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3329913)   #1376
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
And just what is this delusion based on?

Delusion?

How about the number of GTLM cars competing annually vs. a decade ago. The expense of it has basically lead it to be a manufacturers class, with some amateurs buying used cars. Most amateurs are buying GTD/GT3 cars though. That isn't to say that GTLM racing isn't fantastic, just as the cars are fantastic.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 14:01 (Ref:3329943)   #1377
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/ex...audi-for-2014/

Lizards are going with Audi in GTD, going to be strange but those cars should look GREAT!
Old 11 Nov 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3329946)   #1378
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

Lizards are going with Audi in GTD, going to be strange but those cars should look GREAT!
Good to see that confirmed. Added variety will be nice in the class.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3329949)   #1379
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think there was any problem with either GT3 or GTE-GTLM which rendered the class nonviable---I do think that manufacturers were frustrated that they had to design and build two versions of their cars, and then support both, in order to run in all the major series.

Audi, for instance, never got around to building a GTE version of the R8, and I am sure all GTE fans really wanted to see one. Same with Mercedes SLS, Lamborghini Gallardo (West Racing did try and failed utterly,) and McLaren MP12 ... too much money involved in developing a GTE version, but at the same time the lack of one shut them out of some top-tier series.

Combining the two classes should allow manufacturers to reach more customers with more cars for more profit, which will strengthen all the series and provide a better spectacle for fans.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3329961)   #1380
canciaro
Racer

Canada
Windsor
canciaro is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Same delusion that makes Ncrdbl1 think LMP2 is dieing globally?
I really think that guy is doing some consulting work for Grand-Am people and just trying to **** off a majority of the fan base

Michigan Football & Basketball, Oregon Football, Detroit Tigers
Old 11 Nov 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3329963)   #1381
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post

Any idea who the drivers might be (other than Seth?). RIP the days of Long and Bergmeister in the FLM Porsche.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3329966)   #1382
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Any idea who the drivers might be (other than Seth?).
Spencer Pumpelly tweeted the press release announcing the Audi switch, so I'm hopeful that he'll be a part of it... and that he'll not be teamed w/ Bossman.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 15:47 (Ref:3329974)   #1383
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Despite being a massive Porsche fan, I am happy to see FLM going with the Audi R8. A quality team, bringing some needed diversity to the grid. It bodes well for the class overall.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3329977)   #1384
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have been attempting to keep track of announcements regarding entries and here is what I have for GTD now. Admittedly I have probably missed a few.

#GTDCar
1AF CorseFerrari
2AIMFerrari
3AJRPorsche
4AJR (Team Seattle)Porsche
5DempseyPorsche
6DempseyPorsche
7Flying LizardAudi
9Flying LizardAudi
10GMGAudi
11Keating ViperViper
12MagnusPorsche
13MuehlnerPorsche
14NGTPorsche
15Park PlacePorsche
16Scuderia CorsaFerrari
17TRG AstonAston
?AF Corse - 2nd CarFerrari
?Fall lineAudi
?JDXPorsche
?Muehlner - 2nd CarPorsche
?Park Place - 2nd CarPorsche
?Paul MillerPorsche
?Scuderia Corsa - 2nd CarFerrari
?TRG Aston - 2nd CarAston
?Turner?

Last edited by joeb; 11 Nov 2013 at 16:06.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3329979)   #1385
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Proto list as well:

#ProtoCar
1Action ExpressCorvettte DP
2DeltawingDeltawing
3GainscoCorvettte DP
4GanassiFord Riley
5ShankFord Riley
6Spirit of DaytonaCorvettte DP
7Wayne TaylorCorvettte DP
9WhelenCorvettte DP
10ESMHPD ARX-02
11ESMHPD ARX-02
12P2 team (speedsource?)Lola Mazda
13P2 team (speedsource?)Lola Mazda
NAECAction ExpressCorvettte DP
NAECADR DeltaCorvettte DP/Oreca 03
NAECOakMorgan Nissan
?8 Star DPCorvette DP
?8 Star P2?
?Ganassi - 2nd CarFord Riley
?GreavesZytek Nissan
?Muscle Milk?
?PecomOreca Nissan
?Shank - 2nd CarFord Riley
?StarworksBMW Riley
?Starworks - 2nd CarBMW Riley
?Wayne Taylor - 2nd CarCorvette DP
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3329981)   #1386
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Delusion?

How about the number of GTLM cars competing annually vs. a decade ago. The expense of it has basically lead it to be a manufacturers class, with some amateurs buying used cars. Most amateurs are buying GTD/GT3 cars though. That isn't to say that GTLM racing isn't fantastic, just as the cars are fantastic.
R.I.F.! What did I quote? The most recent plan is NOT for a single GT class.

"My understanding is that we'll have two GT classes,” said Romolo Liebchen, Head of Audi Sport customer racing. “I think this approach is good. For the first approach, for the customer side, I think we have something to offer. And for the professional approach, we'll have to see what we can do and how we can do it.

L.P.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3329985)   #1387
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I don't think there was any problem with either GT3 or GTE-GTLM which rendered the class nonviable---I do think that manufacturers were frustrated that they had to design and build two versions of their cars, and then support both, in order to run in all the major series.

Audi, for instance, never got around to building a GTE version of the R8, and I am sure all GTE fans really wanted to see one. Same with Mercedes SLS, Lamborghini Gallardo (West Racing did try and failed utterly,) and McLaren MP12 ... too much money involved in developing a GTE version, but at the same time the lack of one shut them out of some top-tier series.

Combining the two classes should allow manufacturers to reach more customers with more cars for more profit, which will strengthen all the series and provide a better spectacle for fans.
The mfgs do not want the 'classes' combined. A single platform (car) yes, but they will have different 'kits' to make them into separate classes.

"The proposal to merge the two platforms, set forth back in October, was vetoed by manufacturers on the grounds of costs, particularly for privateers wanting a reasonably priced way to go racing.

Instead, talks have since centered on the concept of a base car but with different “kits” being made available to adapt the car for either a cost-effective privateer class or a fully fledged factory-based category. The two proposed classes are being known as “GT” and “GT+” internally."

L.P.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3329986)   #1388
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
I think it is a good thing for FLM to be going with the R8.

L.P.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3329987)   #1389
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
What we still don't know about GT and GT+ are the respective performance envelopes.

Is their goal to simply streamline car development but having a very small spread between the classes as it is today, or are the GT-base cars suppossed to be significantly slower than they are today?
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:36 (Ref:3329991)   #1390
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Despite being a massive Porsche fan, I am happy to see FLM going with the Audi R8. A quality team, bringing some needed diversity to the grid. It bodes well for the class overall.
I agree.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3329994)   #1391
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any idea who the drivers might be (other than Seth?). RIP the days of Long and Bergmeister in the FLM Porsche.
I'm sure that Dion von Moltke will be retained, as he already has massive experience in the R8, having driven it in all the 2012 ROLEX races with APR, and was part of the winning team in this year's Daytona 24 hrs.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3330029)   #1392
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
It does often provide a better spectacle, but then again if there were cautions every five minutes in the WEC - so would that.
There's much more to it than the spectacle.

ALMS GT in 2013 had five different manufacturers, while WEC GTE-PRO had three.

ALMS GT in 2013 had three different tire manufacturers, WEC only had one.

And as far as the racing is concerned, if it's just the cautions that make ALMS GT better, how did the ALMS race at COTA happen?

Oh well, matter of opinion, I guess.

As for the Lizards announcement, I wonder if we'll see one silver and red car, and one silver and black car like in the early days of the team?

I'm guessing Pumpelly and Von Moltke will probably both be back, but the other amateur driver is a good question, considering the Venezuela driver problems.

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 11 Nov 2013 at 18:47.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 18:36 (Ref:3330032)   #1393
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think it is a good thing for FLM to be going with the R8.

L.P.
Livery is going to look really strange on an R8.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3330033)   #1394
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
And as far as the racing is concerned, if it's just the cautions that make ALMS GT better, how did the ALMS race at COTA happen?
Lots of paved run-off with no gravel traps.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3330048)   #1395
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Livery is going to look really strange on an R8.

Looks ok to me, in this mock up.

L.P.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3330049)   #1396
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I'm sure Audi will provide a few of their factory drivers
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3330051)   #1397
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Looks ok to me, in this mock up.

L.P.
Awesome
Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3330064)   #1398
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I've just never found the R8 (road car) to be a terribly attractive looker.

One year, maybe 2009, Phoenix had one at the Spa 24, which I thought looked comparatively alright. The primarily blue one running Grand-Am this year didn't look bad either.

One thing that didn't help get the rules out was the unplanned shutdown of the wind tunnel (Windsheer facility?) where the full-scale tests were to be held. And, I suppose, by the time that bombshell hit, a lot of potential tracks that could have been used for live testing were booked up.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3330080)   #1399
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
Lots of paved run-off with no gravel traps.
Well the WEC runs F1 circuits in every round but Le Mans at circuits with oceans of pavement runoff.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3330090)   #1400
somebodysb2
Racer

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
somebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsomebodysb2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R8's are famed for being the easiest-to-drive GT3 car on the grid. Outstanding stability compared to say, the Nismo GT3 that is plagued with rear traction issues. Seth should be able to drive at the limit much easily than on the old GTC Cup car.