Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Dec 2014, 09:24 (Ref:3484628)   #1226
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I don't feel he has yet broken through that threshold that detirmines paying or being paid.

The longer he keeps a fulltime gig for, the closer he'll get to that point.
The story as written Here shows that Mr Pye suggests he should be paid for his driving skills.

One of the big things that counts against him is having Mr Dane in the management chair. Just as it does with WP being Mr Percat's management crew as well.

Each on reported one year deals with their overlords, the pair of these guys will likely be pinched back at the end of the season to place in their main programs the following years.

It would be hard to explain to a sponsor that this young fella we sold you on 12 months ago is now going back to the mother ship, and wont represent your brand ongoing

Whichever way you slice the onion, Mr Pye has had his fair share of accidents. Whether his fault or not, he was the fella at the wheel.. and in a game where budgets are so squeezed... perhaps team owners arent quite willing to take a risk on that.
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 13 Dec 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3484632)   #1227
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmx868 View Post
He should be paid this is supposed to be a professional sport not a rent a ride series. The fact a large portion of the grid is paying shows the health of the series.
Name me a 'professional' series where every driver on the grid is getting paid?

It's the teams that make a sport professional, not the drivers. 30 full-time mechanics preparing a car for a driver kicking the tin i would say is more professional than having a driver being paid while the car is crewed by volunteers...
Old 13 Dec 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3484634)   #1228
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pye just hasn't built up his value like Scotty Mac or Chaz, or Percat for that matter. All next gen drivers. Percats clearly maturing well this year.

As I said in a previous post, he should get a drive somewhere, but he needs to be patient. Look at Whincup as a bloke who stuttered at the start of his career...a very good example of persistence.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 17:05 (Ref:3484703)   #1229
cruizn4abruisn
Rookie

cruizn4abruisn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Name me a 'professional' series where every driver on the grid is getting paid?

It's the teams that make a sport professional, not the drivers. 30 full-time mechanics preparing a car for a driver kicking the tin i would say is more professional than having a driver being paid while the car is crewed by volunteers...
DTM is entirely professional factory drivers and teams.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3484759)   #1230
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
He should be paid this is supposed to be a professional sport not a rent a ride series. The fact a large portion of the grid is paying shows the health of the series.
Where was that ever written into the deal??

It's never been the case, that's for sure.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 23:14 (Ref:3484799)   #1231
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Based on this years drivers alone, I'd be surprised who's actually on the team's payroll. There can't be that many.

I don't think even Mostert and McLaughlin are being paid as actual race drivers. Pretty sure they're on apprenticeship wages with a top-up.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 23:21 (Ref:3484803)   #1232
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Based on this years drivers alone, I'd be surprised who's actually on the team's payroll. There can't be that many.

I don't think even Mostert and McLaughlin are being paid as actual race drivers. Pretty sure they're on apprenticeship wages with a top-up.
I get the feeling Mr McLaughlin is earning a little (lot?) more than that, given the new house he just picked up...

...but you are likely right.. the $350k a year that seemed to be de rigeur just a couple of years ago isnt where a lot of the current series of pilots are earning right now..

The big thing to note is that very few seem to have personal sponsors that dont come from the car, or go onto the car.

Frosty has been strong in this regard, with Target, Monroe, Safety amongst others taking up a lot of space on his helmet. Back in the day, there were all kinds of brands appearing there, which helped top up the personal income..
“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 14 Dec 2014, 00:21 (Ref:3484811)   #1233
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the likes of Hogs Breath and Visa Logistics on Mr Pyes helmet, plus the free pushbikes from Trek, are his complaints justified?
Old 14 Dec 2014, 02:07 (Ref:3484828)   #1234
Bmx868
Rookie

Bmx868 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't feel he has yet broken through that threshold that detirmines paying or being paid.

The longer he keeps a fulltime gig for, the closer he'll get to that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
Where was that ever written into the deal??

It's never been the case, that's for sure.
In an ideal word it should be all professional however as we know in all motor sport series pay drivers prop up the back of the grid. However when the amount of pay drivers are more than 3-4 it shows a lack of health in the series. Imo in an ideal world pye should of done enough by now to be getting a paid gig.if the series was healthy
Old 14 Dec 2014, 02:40 (Ref:3484829)   #1235
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't get me wrong I do like Scott Pye as a person and a driver but at the end of the day there is only two possible reasons that he is not getting a paid drive for a team.
1. He isn't Performing to a standard required (top ten finishes, race wins, Public persona to name a few.
2. His management is failing to sell him as a driver who deserves to be paid.

To be honest I think it is a bit of both and while it is hard to get a sponsor To commit to funding a team for the whole year at the level required many teams will take the easier option to have a driver with a decent dowry come in and be a part of the team to ease the financial burden. I think unless you are stumping up your hard earned cash to finance a team or driver then really we don't have anything to complain about.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 02:44 (Ref:3484831)   #1236
Umai Naa
Veteran

But Mr Pye is statistically accident -prone. For a small team, barely making ends meet, he'd be a liability. I like the guy, and I think he's got huge potential, especially dragging the dog of a underdeveloped DJR car up the grid, but he's not as desirable as the likes of Mr McLaughlin. Adding a DVS championship to his credentials might raise his stocks.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 06:45 (Ref:3484850)   #1237
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tbh as much as I like Pye he has the public persona of a house brick for starters and that makes him hard to market or sponsors want to get on him.

as others have mentioned his fault or not he has been involved in his fair share of acco's and that makes teams weary.

having one of the most loved blokes in pitlane in Roland (note sarcasm) managing doesn't help much like Percat with Walkinshaw.

while the equipment has counted against him Scott has no podiums or real stand out results other then a couple promising flashes & compared to Nick Percat who has got 2 podiums one at the biggest event of the year upstaged his more fancied teammate in Tim Slade in the championship and narrowly missed the top 10 and IMO has a more appealing public persona. so to be brutally honnest I think Nick should get a drive before Scott.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 06:53 (Ref:3484851)   #1238
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In an ideal word it should be all professional however as we know in all motor sport series pay drivers prop up the back of the grid. However when the amount of pay drivers are more than 3-4 it shows a lack of health in the series. Imo in an ideal world pye should of done enough by now to be getting a paid gig.if the series was healthy
If people are willing to pay to be a part of a series, is that not a sign of healthiness to the people pulling the $$ out of their pockets?
Old 14 Dec 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3484855)   #1239
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I get the feeling Mr McLaughlin is earning a little (lot?) more than that, given the new house he just picked up...

...but you are likely right.. the $350k a year that seemed to be de rigeur just a couple of years ago isnt where a lot of the current series of pilots are earning right now..

The big thing to note is that very few seem to have personal sponsors that dont come from the car, or go onto the car.

Frosty has been strong in this regard, with Target, Monroe, Safety amongst others taking up a lot of space on his helmet. Back in the day, there were all kinds of brands appearing there, which helped top up the personal income..
The young guns/semi-rookies are getting their wage From their sponsors. Not the team from my understanding. As Scott once alluded to, the prize money goes back to the team, not the driver per se.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3484871)   #1240
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

So does Tekno have a shot at the title?
Old 14 Dec 2014, 09:40 (Ref:3484874)   #1241
Umai Naa
Veteran

With some luck, and ZERO mistakes, they'll come VERY close I reckon.
Old 14 Dec 2014, 09:57 (Ref:3484884)   #1242
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
If Mr Webb codrives again, he will likely need seat time in something else to resist the rust...
Old 14 Dec 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3484916)   #1243
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If Mr Webb codrives again, he will likely need seat time in something else to resist the rust...
He did a damn sight better than some of the full time pilots, who seemed to take a liking to the wall and using other people as cushions, after berating them all for driving like maniacs……………. You could do a lot worse the Mr Webb for an endurance co-driver next year, a lot lot worse. I'd choose him before about half the current full time pilots, and certainly before most of the DVS pilots.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 00:41 (Ref:3485073)   #1244
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, what's going to happen to Mr. Morris? Even though he won Bathurst (imo, was a fluke) he put the car in the wall, and his job at Sandown and the GC was far From special. Could we see a new driver?
Old 15 Dec 2014, 01:11 (Ref:3485076)   #1245
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ummmmm common thought is Cameron Waters has the gig already
Old 15 Dec 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3485084)   #1246
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
So, what's going to happen to Mr. Morris? Even though he won Bathurst (imo, was a fluke) he put the car in the wall, and his job at Sandown and the GC was far From special. Could we see a new driver?
From memory Paul Morris had announced his retirement prior to the Bathurst 1000

and

LEADING TEAMS LOCK IN ENDURANCE CO-DRIVERS

Quote:
Elsewhere, there will be change at Ford Performance Racing, with Bathurst winning co-driver Paul Morris stepping aside.
Cameron Waters and Steve Owen are set to co-drive the two Pepsi FPR entries next year, although the exact pairings alongside Mark Winterbottom and Chaz Mostert are yet to be decided.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 01:45 (Ref:3485085)   #1247
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Unfortunately for all the speed he has I don't think Shane has a mistake free year in him. He did amazingly to get 2nd in the series but Frosty did manage to drop 700 points on Whincup in the last half of the year too so it was a bit like a free kick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
ummmmm common thought is Cameron Waters has the gig already
Correct.
Old 15 Dec 2014, 02:39 (Ref:3485097)   #1248
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
'2 Cars Will Make Us More Competitive' - LDM

Is it just me, or does this seem like an ad, 'Drives available, apply within' ?
Old 15 Dec 2014, 03:18 (Ref:3485103)   #1249
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Jeromy Moore to Leave 888

Will an injection of new blood reinvigorate Mr Lowndes, or knock him for a 6?

Congratulations to Mr Moore, if he had indeed cracked a gig in DTM..
Old 15 Dec 2014, 05:23 (Ref:3485113)   #1250
Umai Naa
Veteran

Did anybody bother to proof read that?

Interesting times ahead for the Triple Eight squad.