Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Apr 2003, 20:55 (Ref:557710)   #1
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Marlboro ads on the Ferraris this weekend?

Just looked at a couple of pre race pics at f1 live and the Ferrari cars and drivers have no ciggie sponsorship.. but west is clearly visible on the teeshirt of rakkionnen. is this a situation similar to america where a particular sponsor can only display their adverts on one brand of sporting activity, or have the brazillian goverment banned it. If so what does this mean for the long term prospects for the brazillian gp
Old 3 Apr 2003, 20:59 (Ref:557714)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Marlboro usually advertise around the circuit? Wasn't it a Marlboro hording that virtually dropped on Alesi's head as he went into turn 1?
Old 3 Apr 2003, 21:00 (Ref:557715)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope the whole world bans sigarette sponsoring for good, and then we'll see what happens with Bernie and his shenanigans (spelling?)
Old 3 Apr 2003, 21:25 (Ref:557738)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may get your wish. Phillip Morris, owners of many of the major cigarette names, is threatening to go Chapter 11(bankruptsy)if they are forced to pay out the huge sums of money in lawsuits they lost here in the states. The pay-outs amount to billions to individual states, and they claim they can't afford it.

So its a catch-22 for racing, we may hate smoking, and are trying to erradicate it around the world, but the loss of a multi-billion dollar industry could be bad news for sports like F1.

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Apr 2003, 21:28 (Ref:557741)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look at CART, they're (almost) siggy free and they don't do so bad?

Okay, not so good as it used to be but still...
Old 3 Apr 2003, 22:27 (Ref:557776)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART is dying for some big time sponsorship! There are quite a few cars racing that don't have any sponsors yet. I don't think thats doing to well, do you?

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Apr 2003, 22:38 (Ref:557784)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah, but ban smoking and you can add a huge £ to your tax bill.

I don't smoke, im a anti-smoker, I hate people smoking, yet I actually like the cigarrete sponsorship on the F1 cars, I think it looks really nice. My favs are / were the Rothmans/Williams and the old Malboro Ferrari (pre-orange)

I learned a lot at university about advertising after doing media and advertising at degree level.
When will people realise that cigarrete ads don't make people start smoking, they merely try and make people swap brands (which is why ciggy companies ally themselves with a team in the hope that the F1 fan will support the team and "change their allegance")
The actual adverts themselves do NOT encourage smoking, nor do they target non smokers. The only reason the FIA and the EU want to ban cig advertising is to appease the misguided fools that actually believe its directed at non-smokers.

I have been an avid F1 fan since the age of about 5, and I have never smoked once.

People should stop blaming advertising and start to look at how they raise their children.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 22:38 (Ref:557785)   #8
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the pics that I refer to are (much too big - Adam) http://tentenths.com/forum/misc.php?...age=2#pictures
http://a324.g.akamai.net/f/324/3126/.../diapo_010.jpg
http://a324.g.akamai.net/f/324/3126/.../diapo_012.jpg
http://a324.g.akamai.net/f/324/3126/.../diapo_013.jpg
see the west signage on Kimi none on Rubens (they look reallllly happy to be there dont they...)

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Apr 2003 at 12:51.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 22:44 (Ref:557790)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Rubens needs to get rid of that goatie really soon.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 01:55 (Ref:557890)   #10
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OOOOO ya but notice its not in the last picture.
I honeslty don't care how a company, even a cigarette one, spends its money to advertise. Everyone knows smoking is bad for you, so if you smoke its your own fault what happens. As fr second hand smoke, the single study used to support the death rate was thrown out in federal court as drawing conclusions which where completely unsupported and in fact nearly the opposite of what the actual data showed
Old 4 Apr 2003, 06:29 (Ref:557967)   #11
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IT would be nice to see the cars without so much advertising on them, even for one race. Remember after the Sept. 11 attacks when the Ferrari's were just red, with no other sponsorship. That's the way GP cars should be! Not moving billboards. I guess I'll venture back to reality now.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 08:11 (Ref:558053)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is Massa in that picture, is TGF not racing?
Old 4 Apr 2003, 09:12 (Ref:558087)   #13
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have a reserve driver 'just in case' don't they?
Old 4 Apr 2003, 09:45 (Ref:558111)   #14
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, the biggest sponsor in CART, Players - must be Players, the paperclip manufacturer from Chipping Sodbury then, is it?
Old 4 Apr 2003, 09:55 (Ref:558118)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

Ofcourse it is!
Old 4 Apr 2003, 10:57 (Ref:558173)   #16
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
'friad not, but Massa is from Brazil, I'd imagine thats why he is there.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 10:59 (Ref:558175)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I find most interesting is that ALL the Ferraris there are 2002s. Rmember, last year they ran 2001s PLUS one 2002. Odd.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 12:00 (Ref:558238)   #18
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There appears to be some confusion in Brazil regarding whether tobacco advertising will be allowed this weekend.

If I understand correctly, there is a law in Brazil now which only allows tobacco sponsorship at indoor events; obviously the GP is not run indoors. The Brazilian Parliament (or their equivalent) are trying to find a compromise before the race on Sunday.

This means that there is a lot of confusion - Ferrari have removed all tobacco references but the other teams are still sporting theirs. According to BAR team manager, Ron Meadows: "So far we haven't heard there's any problem with using the Lucky Strike livery. We have to race with it, but if there's a change we simply remove the logos from the cars. That's the easy part."

Obviously, if the teams ARE forced to remove the tobacco logos then it will have sponsorship ramifications. Who knows: maybe Brazil will go the same way as Spa
Old 4 Apr 2003, 12:31 (Ref:558278)   #19
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you'd think any sensible businessmen would be looking for, and spending their money on, finding alternative sponsorship...not trying to sandbag for another year.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 12:51 (Ref:558290)   #20
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yea, wouldn't it be nice to see the 2002 or 2003GA in straight true Ferrari red from all angles to get the sense of the design flow?
Old 4 Apr 2003, 17:21 (Ref:558575)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
The thursday press conference was given over to the Brazilian drivers - including Massa.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 18:06 (Ref:558606)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
There appears to be some confusion in Brazil regarding whether tobacco advertising will be allowed this weekend.

If I understand correctly, there is a law in Brazil now which only allows tobacco sponsorship at indoor events; obviously the GP is not run indoors. The Brazilian Parliament (or their equivalent) are trying to find a compromise before the race on Sunday.

This means that there is a lot of confusion - Ferrari have removed all tobacco references but the other teams are still sporting theirs. According to BAR team manager, Ron Meadows: "So far we haven't heard there's any problem with using the Lucky Strike livery. We have to race with it, but if there's a change we simply remove the logos from the cars. That's the easy part."

Obviously, if the teams ARE forced to remove the tobacco logos then it will have sponsorship ramifications. Who knows: maybe Brazil will go the same way as Spa
Exactly Suzy !

The Congress understood that the GP is an unique event, and have allowed the tobacco advertising in the cars. BUT the TV (local broadcast) will display messages during the transmission (a very big, I must say ),like "The ministry of Health advises : Smoking causes throat cancer", from time to time.