Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Feb 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2639716)   #551
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good points frostie.

And welcome to the forum.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2639718)   #552
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Good points frostie.

And welcome to the forum.
Cheers, been a long time lurker so thought it was about time to jump in and post!
Old 24 Feb 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2639740)   #553
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I can agree to a certain extent with Ferrari on the new teams, but would they have said the the same thing if Lola, Dallara (as a works effort), Prodrive and NTech had been given the gig instead of the current "new blood"?

Incidentally, I would love it if the Campos squad did just become "Dallara", though that would obviously involve Dallara pumping money into the team itself.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 10:11 (Ref:2640815)   #554
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I can agree to a certain extent with Ferrari on the new teams, but would they have said the the same thing if Lola, Dallara (as a works effort), Prodrive and NTech had been given the gig instead of the current "new blood"?

Incidentally, I would love it if the Campos squad did just become "Dallara", though that would obviously involve Dallara pumping money into the team itself.
Yes, it would have been logical to offer the available slots to those teams as their experience would have allowed them to put in a realistic bid. As we never saw the propositions however and have no knowledge of the real process we don't know why the choices were made.

Lotus is OK, and I suppose one could say that Campos got in because it was perceived to be Dallara, USF1 I suspected was because the FIA and FOM wanted an American involvement but I never did understand why Manor got the place, Virgin came on board with them later. It was not exactly a transparent process though and we now await CW's findings with interest.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2641206)   #555
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
Yes, it would have been logical to offer the available slots to those teams as their experience would have allowed them to put in a realistic bid. As we never saw the propositions however and have no knowledge of the real process we don't know why the choices were made.

Lotus is OK, and I suppose one could say that Campos got in because it was perceived to be Dallara, USF1 I suspected was because the FIA and FOM wanted an American involvement but I never did understand why Manor got the place, Virgin came on board with them later. It was not exactly a transparent process though and we now await CW's findings with interest.
I think Manor and Campos both got in for the same reason and were both logical choices at the time. Both are teams with a history of success in junior formulae with a major design firm behind them (Wirth Research, Dallara). Since the entry was announced, the only difference between the 2 teams is that Manor got sponsorship, Campos didn't.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2641370)   #556
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Stefan moaning about F1 rules...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81751

Interesting quote here in this rant from Branson;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Branson
"I think it was a pity that they were resistant and I think it is foolish actually," he said. "I think the one thing the Virgin team will prove is that you can have a really good racing team, running very fast, within a very tight budget. There is no need to do massively expensive windtunnel testing, or all the other things that they do to get the extra second or two."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81748

So it seems to me that Branson is quite happy to be merely present on the grid (for PR) and has no ambitions for success? Surely clawing back those "seconds or two" is what the sport is all about?
Old 27 Feb 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2641394)   #557
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Interesting quote here in this rant from Branson;

So it seems to me that Branson is quite happy to be merely present on the grid (for PR) and has no ambitions for success? Surely clawing back those "seconds or two" is what the sport is all about?
It's comments like this that could lead to Branson alienating some potential fans, as you say gaining time is what the sport is all about. It's one thing to ultilise your budget more effectively but quite another to just accept where you are on the grid.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 11:20 (Ref:2641402)   #558
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Stefan moaning about F1 rules...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81751

Quote:
StefanGP would like to inform the public that the containers we sent on the beginning of February arrived in Bahrain. In the corner of the page you will see official check from DHL and the confirmation that freight arrived. During next week we will show our Stefan Formula 1 car to the press as the final evidence that should put us on the grid in Bahrain.

If case we don’t receive the chance to compete in Bahrain, and also when some of the teams fail to show up, somebody should be in a trouble explaining what is happen to all of us.

And dreamers from USA will have to explain their actions, because they are deliberately weakening F1 with dreaming of perfect world and fairytales about success. And success doesn’t come by talking but with hard work and lot of guts.

This is the kind of "English" that could only have been written by Mr Stefanovic himself. Says a lot about his organisation.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2641411)   #559
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Scans of their DHL papers are on their website if anyone is interested:

http://www.stefangp.com/news008.html

I wish the FIA would just boot USF1 out already. Stefan are ready to go, US F1 are clearly not...
Old 27 Feb 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2641418)   #560
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
There's only one way to find out who should enter...
Old 27 Feb 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2641436)   #561
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Yep, there is something I don't quite like about the whole Stefan team/idea, can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it leaves a but of a sour taste in my mouth.

He really hasn't done himself any favours either with the things he has done and said. First issuing legal action against the FIA, then shipping the containers to Bahrain in some kind of act of defiance or "to prove something", then coming out and saying effectively "if they don't give us a place on the grid then it will be their fault that I will have to close the team and sack everyone". However it was only a few weeks ago he was saying he was happy to spend 2010 testing with an entry for the 2011 season in prospect.

Something doesn't quite add up, and I think the whole thing is a bit shifty.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2641523)   #562
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81748

I think his point is that there is no need for the sport as a whole to do all the expensive stuff for that extra second or two. He wants to prove that you can still have a premier racing series on a realistic budget without making the cars much slower overall.

Personally I think he was right to attack Ferrari for what they said. Especially his point in regards to "Well the new teams are only struggling because of the rule changes you blocked." That seems like a pretty reasonable comment.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2641603)   #563
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Adam Cooper, Stefan GP might shakedown at the Ford test track in Lommel in Belgium.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2641621)   #564
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought they couldn't find tires.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2641631)   #565
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff View Post
I thought they couldn't find tires.
Autosport reporting they have decided on using a stash of Avons just to get some running done
Old 27 Feb 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2641678)   #566
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It all sounds like a bad joke, and we still have people reasoning on this.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2641688)   #567
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Whether you think the Stefan people are misguided or a bit too pushy, at least they are showing willing and getting on with it, certainly compared with US F1
Old 27 Feb 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2641690)   #568
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Whether you think the Stefan people are misguided or a bit too pushy, at least they are showing willing and getting on with it, certainly compared with US F1
Certainly. But anyone who even thought about buying the MasterCard Lola's is not just a little odd.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2641738)   #569
Senninha24
Rookie

United States
London, UK
Senninha24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do agree there is something fishy about that guy and his organization.

They've giving JV his seat-fitting, so I guess he's sold on it, but I don't know...Stefano Modena anyone? (not the performance, at least I hope, but the behind closed doors :P)
Old 28 Feb 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2641898)   #570
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I dunno, this smacks of opportunism, to some extent. StefanGP's contribution to F1 is to buy old Toyotas. Is there anything more there? What happens come 2011? Or is Stefanovic just going to palm his team off on someone or wind it up? Are there facilities to develop further?

Because the one place where there ARE facilities is USF1. OK, maybe only embryonic, but USF1 are at least capable of designing their own car and having a stab at building it.

Stefan might just have in mind to get into F1 on the cheap. No need for due diligence and whatnot, just present yourself with a couple of second-hand Corollas, steal someone's entry, and then get their otherwise useless assets for a knockdown price.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2641918)   #571
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't Brawn do similar though?
Obviously, there was the difference where RB worked for Honda beforehand.. but it's not too dissimilar. Stefan have a car... from there they can hire staff, evolve, develop...

USF1 have an empty factory.

I know who I'd choose
Old 28 Feb 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2641921)   #572
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Brawn essentially took over the Honda factory though. Have StefanGP done the same with Toyota?
Old 28 Feb 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2641948)   #573
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not quite, but as I understand it there are Toyota staff and facilities included in the deal. I'd provide a link but I don't remember where I read it.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2641952)   #574
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
I dunno, this smacks of opportunism, to some extent. StefanGP's contribution to F1 is to buy old Toyotas. Is there anything more there? What happens come 2011? Or is Stefanovic just going to palm his team off on someone or wind it up? Are there facilities to develop further?

Because the one place where there ARE facilities is USF1. OK, maybe only embryonic, but USF1 are at least capable of designing their own car and having a stab at building it.

Stefan might just have in mind to get into F1 on the cheap. No need for due diligence and whatnot, just present yourself with a couple of second-hand Corollas, steal someone's entry, and then get their otherwise useless assets for a knockdown price.
Well, if the car doesn't turn out, Coughlan can just nick the designs off Ferrari again.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 15:20 (Ref:2641977)   #575
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given that we've not heard anything on US F1 of late, I still stand by my tinfoil hat theory of the FIA letting US F1 keep their entry even though they won't make it to prevent them from selling their entry to Stefan - given that it's thought to be Anderson and Windsor that blocked the deal (as Stefanovic said they'd been talking but it wasn't Hurley that stopped it going ahead), that may be what has happened. They're too deluded to sell up if there is the tiniest of chinks of light, it seems