Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:03 (Ref:2055077)   #51
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Use the EDIT option next time.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:25 (Ref:2055168)   #52
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite frankly, IMO DTM is screwed. It's unlikely get to 2009, and their new tech regs have no chance becoming a world formula.

And why would a single seater driver want to go to sportscars? (Because that's basically what the DTM is).
Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:31 (Ref:2055173)   #53
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Quite frankly, IMO DTM is screwed. It's unlikely get to 2009, and their new tech regs have no chance becoming a world formula.
I'm not so sure. Despite all it's flaws the name DTM is still very powerful, and Mercedes and Audi have invested millions of Euros to turn it into a powerfull marketing tool. I doubt that they would throw that all away without a very good reason.
I thought after Barcelona that this might have been the end, but it looks like I was proven wrong. So if they survived the disaster at Barcelona there's no real reason why they should not survive next year. After all it would as well be a huge loss of face for Audi and Merc if they had their series end halfway through the season.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 18:15 (Ref:2055209)   #54
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Emma Kimiläinen to test DTM Audi

Audi is looking for a female driver to replace Vanina Ickx. Five girls will test the car and 18-year-old Finn Emma Kimiläinen is one of them.
Old 30 Oct 2007, 18:24 (Ref:2055217)   #55
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Think same way, DTM is where the money is. Why wouldn't youg hot shoes want to go there for money. To be honest, this is the best series after Formula 1 to be in, because of the mney involved, look at the sponsorship availability, most drivers are signed by Manufacturer, every entry has got its own brand.

It's te same opportunity for young bloke as contract with BMW Motorsport or SEAT Sport.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 04:25 (Ref:2055550)   #56
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Emma Kimiläinen to test DTM Audi

Audi is looking for a female driver to replace Vanina Ickx. Five girls will test the car and 18-year-old Finn Emma Kimiläinen is one of them.
maybe she will become a new Raikkonen, and if she had success with Audi, Dr. Ulrich will let her drive in the Audi SportsCar effort and win Le Mans
Old 31 Oct 2007, 05:47 (Ref:2055565)   #57
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What is she famous for?
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:16 (Ref:2055586)   #58
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She won the Swedish Radical championship this year.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:30 (Ref:2055598)   #59
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner
She won the Swedish Radical championship this year.
She raced in it, but didn't win it... You should know better Johan, they race at all the STCC weekends!
Old 31 Oct 2007, 07:52 (Ref:2055610)   #60
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.radicalmotorsport.se/poan...ing.php?c_id=1
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:22 (Ref:2055659)   #61
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They haven't included the dropped points in that table. Lovén won both the championships, at least that was what Radical Motorsport told me when I asked them.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2055686)   #62
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Not confusing at all. At the final race they said in the speakers that she won.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2055691)   #63
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hey, the Swedish Radical Poängställning. Now there's something you don't see everyday.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 10:32 (Ref:2055719)   #64
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not confusing at all. At the final race they said in the speakers that she won.
Yeah, I know.

I was going to add the final results to my web page and read the press releases that Lovén had clinched both the Riksmästerskap and Elite championsionship. And then I went to check the championship tables and... well... it didn't add up.

Anders Gabrielsson at Radical did confirm though that Lovén was champion and that the points from the worst weekend was dropped from the final tables. He should know what he was talking about, I hope.

Why they choose to keep the championship tables without dropped scores on their site is a bit weird.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 23:10 (Ref:2056416)   #65
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
I live only 5 miles from Radical factory, I can ask them for you? ;-)
Old 1 Nov 2007, 10:44 (Ref:2056715)   #66
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope,BMW bosses have enough grey cells to make a right decision...
Old 1 Nov 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2056761)   #67
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi
I hope,BMW bosses have enough grey cells to make a right decision...
The best thing you can IMO hope for is the DTM allowing privateers and someone stepping up and running a BMW engine on their own in a TOT (Tourenwagen of Tomorrow).

BMW have been a driving force behind 2l-Touring cars since more than a decade and I think they are quite happy with all the cars they sell. So I wouldn't expect them to jump ships.

Last edited by Speed-King; 1 Nov 2007 at 11:22.
Old 1 Nov 2007, 12:15 (Ref:2056821)   #68
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, it obvious, that now existed DTM-format does impossible any new make entrance. DTM needs changes in all ways - new tech regulations, new team and makes policy, and for the last new race reglament (I think it quite difficult to name the best driver after only ten starts)
Old 1 Nov 2007, 17:05 (Ref:2057050)   #69
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
We've discussed it yet somewhere Private teams,more events etc. I don't think,BMW will come with a works team. It will be possible only with a private team. So,2009 will be a turning moment.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 04:54 (Ref:2057420)   #70
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if BMW will continue in....WTCC !
Old 2 Nov 2007, 11:13 (Ref:2057628)   #71
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
As for technical reglament. We've discussed possible variants at russian forums. There's an interesting idea,I think. The fuel tanks' capasity allows pilot to drive only 2/3 distance. So,there will be a "natural' pit-stop window.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 00:53 (Ref:2058336)   #72
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
That's one of possibilities, but look at today's reg's, are they different on fuel cell capasity?

DTM needs revolution.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 01:53 (Ref:2058358)   #73
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is an unsolvable problem, really. No technical regulations will improve the show with the current sporting regulations - team orders will remain. Unfortunantly, banning team orders won't make the problem go away either. The Audis will keep helping each other and so will the Mercs, nature of the animal really. You could force the makes to accept independents, but that doesn't solve anything: they will of course want to help their parent manufacteror. If they even are independents; getting around those regs would be quite easy. Independent teams racing each other works in V8 Supercars, but that is a whole other cup of tea. Ford and Holden doesn't have the same need to defeat the rival manufacteror. They both have their fans and they won't be switching allegiance any time soon (just head over the Aussie section and look for yourselves!). Had that need existed, V8's would have been very DTM-like. Add to that that the regulating body of the series makes sure that there is parity between the cars and there is little reason to go all bonkers trying to find that little edge. The teams will do that because they race for themselves, not the make.
I cannot imagine that any manufacteror will be interested in going DTM racing while there ise 8-10 factory backed cars from both Mercedes and Audi in the series. It is really the same problem that the WTCC suffers from, but to a much larger extent. And because of the fact that the series is, despite its international races, only really big in Germany, that better be were you want to sell your cars. I can see the sense in a make from the Ford concern racing there (Ford/Jag/Volvo all have Germany as a major market I believe?), but it's not as if they've got a lot of cash to spend. Truth be told it would probably make little difference to their budget, but you have to convince the investors/marketing people/economics to begin with...
Other than that, if you're a manufacteror and want to spend not so big bucks targeting the European market (i.e. no F1), Le Mans would be my main choice. It's well-known, easily marketable and affordable (well, relatively), and you'll reach people all over Europe and more. What would you rather have, "Le Mans winner" or "DTM winner" on your car outside of Germany? I know what I would pick.
And without more manufacterors the DTM will stay as it is. Tempting more manufacterors in would mean seriously clipping the wings of Audi and Merc, and that's not likely to please either of them; both gain truckloads of PR from the series as it is now. If manufacteror teams were outlawed I'd wager both would find a way around it rather than adopt the V8 route.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 09:30 (Ref:2058485)   #74
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Well,even Jeeves wouldn't be able to solve the problem... DTM was reborned for advertising.It's not a championship.Everything depends on big bosses' decisions.If they're going to shake the series with their 'refining thunderstorms',DTM has no future.The problem is in the basement.Should they demolish thin walls of new DTM,and reconstruct it in Australian way? Revolution is the worse thing.We know it well in Russia.Deep evolution is much better.
Old 3 Nov 2007, 13:47 (Ref:2058581)   #75
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hakkinen retires from racing
Mika Hakkinen has decided to retire from racing in the DTM, the Finn announced on Saturday.

The former Formula One world champion has competed in the series for the past three years with Mercedes, scoring a total of three victories in that time.

"It's time for me to stop racing in the DTM," Hakkinen said at the Mercedes-Benz 'Stars & Cars’ event in Stuttgart. “That's the bad news.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63767

Last edited by FIRE; 3 Nov 2007 at 13:50.
Closed Thread