Old 10 Dec 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2597246)   #1
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 Teams to have joint launch?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80509

Sounds like a good idea and will certainly provide more bang for their bucks when it comes to entertaining potential sponsors, or in McLaren's case, commercial partners.

Have to say though, I did always love waiting to see the cars launched and how protracted it could be at times. Having them all launched at once kind of takes away that fun for me but I see no reason as to why it couldn't be a great idea.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2597261)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh i'll be interested in seeing how they execute this. Sounds like they've got something up their sleeve, but let's not get too excited now :P

By the sounds of recent activity, we'll have a simulator ride of the new cars, followed by a live performance by Cheryl Cole.

Selby
Old 10 Dec 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2597263)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's quite a cool idea - the idea of one big event where the teams launch together. Yes, we lose the anticipation of waiting for each launch, but it would make a fantastic spectacle, and it'll save quite a bit in some cases. Hopefully it'll be a bit more fan-friendly too - it would be great if they could do a big demo like the DTM do

But its location does show where the money is...well, at least it's not in Abu Dhabi, I suppose. I hope they vary the location every year

Wonder what the new teams will do, though. A couple aren't planning on testing until February

Oh, and on the subject of Cheryl Cole - reminds me of the all-star McLaren launch from 97
Old 10 Dec 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2597283)   #4
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Yeh i'll be interested in seeing how they execute this. Sounds like they've got something up their sleeve, but let's not get too excited now :P

By the sounds of recent activity, we'll have a simulator ride of the new cars, followed by a live performance by Cheryl Cole.

Selby
Nah! She'll probably Lip Sync!

In principle this is a good idea. They really should do it at the Birmingham NEC at Autosport Interational hosted by Tiff Needell in the live action arena
Old 10 Dec 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2597309)   #5
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The less Tiff Needell has to do with F1, the better.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2597332)   #6
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post
The less Tiff Needell has to do with F1, the better.
hear hear

If it saves money to have a joint launch at or near the first test venue, I'd go along with it.
And as pointed out it could be quite a spectacle, irrespective of Mrs Cole.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2597433)   #7
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting article on roughly how it's going to work - looks like it's not all going to be crammed into one day, and there may be a demo on the last day
Old 10 Dec 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2597459)   #8
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Find it funny that this is claimed to be another way to save money. Yet the teams will still have to ship their new cars out to this chosen destination, so how does that work? P&P payed for by Bernie and the FIA, perhaps?

I think this is a good idea, but only if it got a mainstream TV/Internet deal. Otherwise, I doubt other than the pictures that and interviews in text form that we normally get on a car release, it won't really acchieve much.

Maybe BBC could cover it as part of their 2010 build up. After each car has been revealed, they could talk about what they think about that team's goals for 2010 is and general chat about what has happened since Abu Dhabi to fill in the in-between breaks.
Old 10 Dec 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2597463)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
P&P payed for by Bernie and the FIA, perhaps?
Actually, yes!
Old 10 Dec 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2597481)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who would MC the event? I would have thought that Will Buxton, being the FOM interviewer, might be a good option ...
Old 10 Dec 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2597491)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Who would MC the event? I would have thought that Will Buxton, being the FOM interviewer, might be a good option ...
James Allen's doing the Monte Carlo MSBF...
Old 10 Dec 2009, 21:43 (Ref:2597497)   #12
Daniel Pinnegar
Racer

United Kingdom
Southampton UK
Daniel Pinnegar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This'll be good, no more of Ferrari's leaked shots!

Always preferred the more extravagant launches!!
Old 11 Dec 2009, 00:14 (Ref:2597583)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Find it funny that this is claimed to be another way to save money. Yet the teams will still have to ship their new cars out to this chosen destination, so how does that work? P&P payed for by Bernie and the FIA, perhaps?

I think this is a good idea, but only if it got a mainstream TV/Internet deal. Otherwise, I doubt other than the pictures that and interviews in text form that we normally get on a car release, it won't really acchieve much.

Maybe BBC could cover it as part of their 2010 build up. After each car has been revealed, they could talk about what they think about that team's goals for 2010 is and general chat about what has happened since Abu Dhabi to fill in the in-between breaks.
It will not be expensive if it is followed by a four day test at the same venue for all the teams....
Old 11 Dec 2009, 02:38 (Ref:2597650)   #14
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed Lotus saying they won't be there:

Tony Fernandes indicated his team supports the initiative, but revealed that the 2010 Lotus will not be ready to launch in late January.

"I won't have a
car at that time. I could come with a Matchbox car," he joked.

source: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...common-launch/

My guess is USF1 won't be there either, fingers crossed on the first race....
Old 11 Dec 2009, 02:44 (Ref:2597652)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What is the latest roll-call with FOTA? With all the new teams arriving and aold ones leaving, or changing hands, I've lost track of who is in (or going to soon be in), and who is staying out.

Anyone know the latest?
Old 11 Dec 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2597786)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
They're all in AFAIK.

Also: Virgin to do a pre-launch on Dec 15th.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=39667

Last edited by Marbot; 11 Dec 2009 at 09:38.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 02:46 (Ref:2598305)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Hehe, so this is the future I wonder? They all agree to a communal launch date to show "unity", but then have individual "pre-launches"?
Old 12 Dec 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2598549)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I wonder how the teams will think they will save money by having a joint launch? when you can launch your 2010 contender at home and not have to travel with crew,cars etc..

Why don't they just do a low key launch of their car at the factory...
Old 12 Dec 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2598553)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I wonder how the teams will think they will save money by having a joint launch? when you can launch your 2010 contender at home and not have to travel with crew,cars etc..

I suppose the launch also coincides with a test at the Valencia circuit or at least it should!
Old 12 Dec 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2598560)   #20
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

That's what I was hinting to in my first post. I find it funny that the teams still want to reduce costs, yet teams shipping their new cars from all over to this one place would surely only make costs worse?
Old 12 Dec 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2598567)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
That's what I was hinting to in my first post. I find it funny that the teams still want to reduce costs, yet teams shipping their new cars from all over to this one place would surely only make costs worse?
Bernie (FOM) pays for transport, and if it's a large media event, then you can be sure that Bernie will have those costs covered.

Also (from Autosport article):

"It is understood that the event will take place in Valencia in late January, prior to the first official 2010 test at the Spanish city's nearby track a few days later".
Old 12 Dec 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2598573)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Bernie (FOM) pays for transport, and if it's a large media event, then you can be sure that Bernie will have those costs covered.

Also (from Autosport article):

"It is understood that the event will take place in Valencia in late January, prior to the first official 2010 test at the Spanish city's nearby track a few days later".

Okay well I am sure they know what they are doing...
Old 12 Dec 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2598584)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShenise View Post
I enjoyed Lotus saying they won't be there:

Tony Fernandes indicated his team supports the initiative, but revealed that the 2010 Lotus will not be ready to launch in late January.

"I won't have a
car at that time. I could come with a Matchbox car," he joked.

source: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...common-launch/

My guess is USF1 won't be there either, fingers crossed on the first race....
I assume that is some sort of a joke?

I find it hard to believe that they can't even produce a rolling chassis to show the media.

If they don't have a chassis built by Jan then they are already in a world of hurt.
Old 12 Dec 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2598661)   #24
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I assume that is some sort of a joke?

I find it hard to believe that they can't even produce a rolling chassis to show the media.

If they don't have a chassis built by Jan then they are already in a world of hurt.
It's top secret though! Early they show their car, more time for other teams to copy.

Common launch, demo => old car painted in new liveries doing burnouts in a city centre. Sorted then.
Old 23 Dec 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2604218)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Good day to bury bad news, don't you think