Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Oct 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1736498)   #51
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It works for me I went to both the DTM and WTCC meetings at Brands and the DTM is way more spectacular. The cars look better and sound better. The racing was on a par. The format could be improved by having two races at a single meeting like the WTCC.

In its current form you're right - it's not really viable (if Mercedes pulled out it would die in an instant). But surely it's possible to make the principle viable? Cars with big grunty engines, rear wheel drive, no traction control, ABS or fancy gizmos. Silhouettes are fine by me.
Old 19 Oct 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1742160)   #52
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport today says that Dario Franchitti will not be racing DTM in '07, just in case anyone was interested...
Old 22 Oct 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1744935)   #53
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
Alfa for their '07 DTM season with the 159s???
2007 or, 2008? dtm.de coverage suggests Alfa Romeo DTM in 2008. Did I miss something?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1745021)   #54
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
2007 or, 2008? dtm.de coverage suggests Alfa Romeo DTM in 2008. Did I miss something?
Were did you read this? I can't find the article.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1745250)   #55
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Were did you read this? I can't find the article.
Announcer's commentary half way through the Le Mans video highlights Fire. Didn't sound like a done deal though.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1745576)   #56
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Their comeback has been rumored for at least 2 years so I think most of us fans will believe it when we see a 169 line up on the DTM starting grid.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1745879)   #57
Tibbett
Rookie

Tibbett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ITR's arrogance will kill DTM unfortunately. They are spreading rumours about a new manufacturer for over 3 years now, but with the current technical regulations it's not interesting for any manufacturer at all.

They should go to the Super Touring reg's. Still different from S2000, but much less b*llsh*t.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1746592)   #58
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Super Touring? No way. Its dead, and would never recover. Having Super 2000 as the headline series in Germany might be a good idea though.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1746808)   #59
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
Super Touring? No way. Its dead, and would never recover. Having Super 2000 as the headline series in Germany might be a good idea though.
That would involve a merge/assination of Procar though. It may die on it's own anyway, but I can't see things being that deperate for the DTM yet.

We've likened to two national makes thing in the DTM to V8 Supercars before, and I think it's very apt. It doesn't appear to have done V8's that much harm...they may need to seperate the teams a bit more though.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1746873)   #60
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, in V8 Supercars although there are 2 manufacturers, there are 7-8 teams per manufacturer so you don't get quite the orchestrations you sometimes see in the DTM where although there are 3-4 teams running each manufacturers' cars, team orders and tactics seem much more prevailant.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1748093)   #61
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I think we are going off-topic but it's an interesting subject so may I suggest to go further in the "Your ultimate touring car championship" topic?

Last edited by FIRE; 24 Oct 2006 at 20:33.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1751874)   #62
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
It works for me I went to both the DTM and WTCC meetings at Brands and the DTM is way more spectacular. The cars look better and sound better. The racing was on a par.
I've never been to either a WTCC or a DTM race, but gotta say that watching DTM is pretty good. The cars, the sound, the racing, it's all good stuff; touring car or not. So for what it's worth I think that's me agreeing with you Bert.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1752768)   #63
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow Frentzen is really ****ed :P
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1752771)   #64
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
wow Frentzen is really ****ed :P
He should be, but I didn't see...what did he do?

Ekstrom might have just walked out of his Audi drive there.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1752774)   #65
Tibbett
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
He should be, but I didn't see...what did he do?

Ekstrom might have just walked out of his Audi drive there.
You're kidding right? Ekström will not leave Audi, nor will he be fired. Look how many bad years Tomczyk had and he's still there.

Frentzen on the other hand will leave Audi, i'm sure.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1752776)   #66
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbett
You're kidding right? Ekström will not leave Audi, nor will he be fired. Look how many bad years Tomczyk had and he's still there.

Frentzen on the other hand will leave Audi, i'm sure.
Nope. (Though I never said fired)

Ekstrom has other options he's been looking at (Rallying)...but both of the Red Bull Audi drivers were appalling at the start of this year as Tom lead they way.

But Tomczyk's turned what looked like being his worst year around in the last half of this season.

Frentzen's performances have been as average as Alesi's & Hakkinen's, but he carries the ex-F1 tag which is worth quite a bit. If he wants to stay and a sponsor is there for the car, he'll stay.

Question really is more whether Kristensen will stay for another year, or go back to a sportscars ride.

(post to go to silly season when done)
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1752779)   #67
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HHF said in an interview after the race that he never felt welcome in his team
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1752783)   #68
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Really?

Alright, that does sound a bit like a leaving speech then. Will watch closely.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1752798)   #69
Tibbett
Rookie

Quote:
Ekstrom has other options he's been looking at (Rallying)...but both of the Red Bull Audi drivers were appalling at the start of this year as Tom lead they way.
Ekström always said he wanted to stay at least 5 more years in DTM before going rallying, so I think he still feels that way
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1752799)   #70
Tibbett
Rookie

Quote:
Really?

Alright, that does sound a bit like a leaving speech then. Will watch closely.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=799
Old 29 Oct 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1752800)   #71
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Still, 4 top drives for Audi to be had next year. Kristensen certainly has one IF he wants it. Maybe he'll go to ALMS.

Tomczyk and Ekstrom could keep their seats since Frentzen looks to be walking.

But Scheider, Kaffer & Abt are waiting in the wings, and seem to have been really hampered by their cars this season. We know some of these guys true pace (Scheider was easily the top Opel in '04 over Frentzen, Fassler etc.) - so they could be given their shot in the real wheels.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 15:41 (Ref:1752806)   #72
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Do they need Frentzen if they sign Schumacher?
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1752863)   #73
Tibbett
Rookie

Abt recently said he has shown he was worthy of a 2007 car, but i'm afraid if missed him showing that. Scheider was the best driver of the 2005 cars this year, so should someone get the last 2007 car from the current field, it should be him. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone new would get it.

I think Kristensen, Ekström and Tomczyk will stay on for next year and will all be getting a 2007 car.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1752872)   #74
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Frentzen will go to Mercedes - bringing his career full circle
Old 29 Oct 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1752904)   #75
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbett
Abt recently said he has shown he was worthy of a 2007 car, but i'm afraid if missed him showing that. Scheider was the best driver of the 2005 cars this year, so should someone get the last 2007 car from the current field, it should be him. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone new would get it.

I think Kristensen, Ekström and Tomczyk will stay on for next year and will all be getting a 2007 car.
Hmmm, new? Audi have run through their entire sportscar stable in DTM and only Kristensen has pulled it off. Lehto & Herbert are looking possible for ALMS drives next year which can only free up two of McNish, Capello, Biela & Pirro - I'm doubtful if ANY of those fancy another go at DTM. (Marco Werner?)

So maybe someone completely new to Audi? Or maybe a pinch from Mercedes if they can't lay enough cars for their camp.

The hardest one to call.

What next for Frentzen? Speeches like that aren't exactly setting him up for an Audi sportscar ride either. Maybe he'll follow Bartels to FIA GT - or he'd be a top grab in the WTCC for the second Schnitzer BMW if Dirk Muller is leaving.