Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jan 2002, 22:56 (Ref:193002)   #1
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV would like Ferrari chance

Jacques - Ferrari ?

Jacques Villeneuve has once more hinted that he would like to drive for Ferrari before the end of his career.

The French Canadian will decide on his future with BAR Honda at next week’s Barcelona test session after his mentor and manager Craig Pollock was sacked from his position as team boss.

Villeneuve was angry at not being consulted and may consider other options if the new BAR 004 does not show enough promise.

However, although Villeneueve would like to race for Ferrari he would almost certainly have to wait until 2004 when Michael Schumacher’s contract expires. It’s unlikely that Schumacher would accept Villleneuve as a team-mate.

Speaking at the recent launch of BAR’s new car Villeneuve stated he would relish the chance of going head-to-head with the German. He said: "I would be very happy to have Michael as a team-mate, definitely."

Villeneuve went on to talk up Ferrari’s chances for the new season. He said: "Ferrari will certainly be in front. They have car that was superior to everybody elses last year. Even if they make no progress next year they will be in front."

Villeneuve’s father Gilles was one of Ferrari’s best-loved and most charismatic drivers. He was killed in an accident in qualifying for the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story.php3?mediaid=8506

Last edited by Schumacher; 2 Jan 2002 at 22:57.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 23:04 (Ref:193006)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i don't think ferrari would take jv on....even if schu agreed to it!!!! he hasn't exactly done alot lately!!!
Old 2 Jan 2002, 23:05 (Ref:193008)   #3
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"I would be very happy to have Michael as a team-mate, definitely."
We will never see a response of Schumacher to this. Unless Villeneuve agrees to be his slave...LOL
Old 3 Jan 2002, 00:34 (Ref:193049)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JV and TGF in the same team would create the same problems as Prost v Senna, Mansell v Piquet. It would be detrimental to their chances of a title.

But that is assuming they were on a level playing field.

JV could end up at Ferrari one day, but it won't be as a team-mate to TGF.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 03:36 (Ref:193073)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hah...Sodemo...this is what you call hypocritical... Isn't this the same Jacques who a couple of years ago said no to being Michael's team mate, saying something extremely close to the line "I will never go to Ferrari as long as Michael's there" using the excuse that he do not want to play Number 2. Obviously, he is making a big U-turn...

If i would attempt to be a cynic for once, i'd say that now his seat in BAR is shaky, he would want to leap to another top team. But with his bad history with Ron, and Williams having 3 drivers for 2 seats...Ferrari is THE only option left for him. And so all he can do is sweet talk Ferrari in the press begging for Ferrari to be impressed. And what's his chances against Michael in Ferrari? Sure...maybe a couple of inspiring drives...but if anybody expects a Prost vs Senna story to unfold...they have bought the wrong novel.

It's very straight forward with this...but ONE i think Jacques should keep his word and get out of BAR since that's what he promised his fans and Pollock. TWO...Jacques still is a good driver... but he has to accept the fact that his value as a driver is no longer what he commands in the past. Wake Up... and perhaps, aim to replace Eddie in Jaguar would be a more practical choice.

I do not mind seeing Jacques in Ferrari..(in fact in a way i do anticipate him doing 1 season for Ferrari for history's sake)...if he would accept the way Ferrari work with keeping all problems inside, and the importance of team-work... However, if all Jacques can do is to create chaos, internal friction, and dismay to Ferrari camp by talking too much to the public, and criticise the way Ferrari handles issues...i'd rather not see him inside.

Last edited by Gt_R; 3 Jan 2002 at 03:38.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 07:59 (Ref:193101)   #6
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps he'd be content with the chance to win a GP after 5 years?
Old 3 Jan 2002, 08:31 (Ref:193107)   #7
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever it takes to get JV in a competitive car is alright by me!
Old 3 Jan 2002, 13:57 (Ref:193232)   #8
facco
Racer

facco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, JV 'd like to be at Ferrari, and I'd like to get 1 million dollars by Friday, for free.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:42 (Ref:193262)   #9
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
I do not mind seeing Jacques in Ferrari..(in fact in a way i do anticipate him doing 1 season for Ferrari for history's sake)...if he would accept the way Ferrari work with keeping all problems inside, and the importance of team-work... However, if all Jacques can do is to create chaos, internal friction, and dismay to Ferrari camp by talking too much to the public, and criticise the way Ferrari handles issues...i'd rather not see him inside.
Enzo Ferrari, the man himself, let his beloved Gilles fight against Scheckter for the title. Both end up with 3 victories and Scheckter won the title with 51 points against 47 for Gilles. If then Ferrari had the current concept of a team-work then Scheckter would have been ordered to play slave to Gilles who had won 2 races before the Belgian GP where Scheckter got his first victory.

It is more accurate to talk about a Schumacher's team-work concept. It is based on having a 3rd class teammate with no right to finish in front of Schumacher.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 15:25 (Ref:193277)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
JV and TGF in the same team would create the same problems as Prost v Senna.... It would be detrimental to their chances of a title.
When Prost and Senna were together at McLaren, McLaren cleaned up. Prost got out because Senna had him rattled and had replaced him in the eyes of Ron.

Much has been said about how they didn't get on but when it came to doing their job for the team they were as professional as anyone. they discussed setups et al but away from work they rarely spoke.

Whether TGF and JV could do the same is another matter but I don't think Senna and Prosts rivalry diminished their title chances. IMO it probably strengthened Sennas as his motivation to beat Prost took on new meaning.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 16:21 (Ref:193307)   #11
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BB, I'm afraid you're mistaken about Scheckter's title. Quite the opposite, really. That was Gilles title, but he was the No. 2 and Jody the No. 1, so Jody was the WDC for the prancing horse. Without team orders, it is an almost certainty that Gilles would have been champion, especially since Jody defeated Gilles by less than half a second at Monza near the end of the year.

That turn of events, indirectly, led the fatal events of a few years later when Gilles crashed after being furious with his teammate Didier Pironi and the events at the 1982 San Marino GP. Gilles was the No. 1, and team orders were for him to take the checkered flag. But, unlike Gilles a few years earlier, Didier looked out for himself instead of being a good team player and took the victory for himself.

Ferrari has a history of having a No. 1 and a No. 2, and the rule is the No. 2 will not beat the No. 1 when it counts.

Last edited by zealot; 3 Jan 2002 at 16:22.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 18:19 (Ref:193359)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles was furious not only with Pironi, who cheated and then lied about it, but with Ferrari who backed him up and not Gilles.

These days there is no question that anybody in the No. 2 car will not have the full support of the team and will be required to shut up and give way at all times regardless.

Contrast this: " Villeneuve’s father Gilles was one of Ferrari’s best-loved and most charismatic drivers. He was killed in an accident in qualifying for the 1982 Belgian Grand Prix. " with the headlines that would surely be written about Jacques being so desperate for a drive that he is willing to drag the family reputation in the dirt if that's what it takes ...

When we were at Montreal this year, the vast majority of people who spoke of Jacques added, "He's not the man his father was." Think of Jacques seeing this headlined in the Gazetta after every public appearance as TGF's lackey ... and explain to me why he'd be that stupid.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 20:19 (Ref:193437)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Jacques in a Ferrari? Luca, Jean, Ross, and the gang are MUCH MUCH more intelligent than that!!!
Old 3 Jan 2002, 20:40 (Ref:193456)   #14
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what does TGF mean?
Old 3 Jan 2002, 21:16 (Ref:193491)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That German Fellow. Coined after Hockenheim 1999 when TGF was seen on wide screen television at the track wishing good luck to all the German drivers in the race, pointedly ignoring his (Irish) teammate who was the only one driving a Ferrari at the time.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 03:26 (Ref:193623)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've read in some other forum that Jacques is sounding a little desperate to get a top seat and seem to be sucking up to the Ferrari management. And i'm sorry to have a tingling suspicious that it may be true...what makes it all the more sorry is that he is no longer the character he used to be where he have the final say, and he knows that.

As for the Gilles/Pironi incident.. its not a matter that Gilles was given No.1 priority or not. Instead Ferrari's policy is that if their cars are leading the race in first and second position, both cars are ordered to hold station and not fight for the lead. They do not want to risk the 2 drivers taking each other out. In that incident, Gilles was leading...Pironi overtook him...Gilles expected Pironi to obey the orders when he retook the lead...only for Pironi to break the trust by overtaking GIlles again for the win.

Enzo likes disciplined drivers...unless Jacques watch his behavoir at times, he doesn't fit the Ferrari (or Mclaren) 's mould of drivers. As for Jacques being made slave...bulls to that... if he can pull out the results and beat Michael flat in the first portion of the season, Michael will be asked to back him up later. The same situation would arise with Barrichello...but the point that Michael's teammates are always made to play 2nd fiddle to Michael is a simple fact that many chose to ignore - that Michael trashes his teammate - which is what leads to the difference in treatment (of course any sensible people would take extra care of their diamond than their glass)
Old 4 Jan 2002, 10:04 (Ref:193691)   #17
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep.
Sounds like Jacques is desperate and unashamed.

Wish the babyface "top-six-finisher" Barryfello wud move over.
Im sure Michael will want to thrash Jacques in the same team and clear any doubts people had/have.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 11:16 (Ref:193704)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since, as has been pointed out, Jaques is not exactly the Ferrari or Mclaren type of guy I would have thought it pretty unlikely that he'd ever get in with either of those teams... Replace Button at Renault perhaps (hope not - hope Button extracts his finger this year and does good things), or replace Eddie at Jaguar?
Old 4 Jan 2002, 23:46 (Ref:194106)   #19
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques sounds a bit like desperate dan. Understandable actually, given all thats going on around him at the moment. I think he's finally realizing how his career has gone down the drain. Just last year he once again stated he would never partner Michael Schumacher anywhere but now he has made a total about turn.

Maybe he understands how shaky Barrichelo's future at Ferrari is and he is therefore making a pitch to grab the 2nd seat at Ferrari in 2003. I think Ferrari will give him due consideration - but Jacques only chance to land the Ferrari seat is if Montoya stays at Williams. Should be one hell of a silly season.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 05:09 (Ref:194162)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It will be very interesting to see where JPM will race next year. All the perms and coms will then start after JPM has landed his next drive. He might stay at Williams, and then the others can fight it out for the minor placings.
Old 5 Jan 2002, 13:44 (Ref:194318)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i reckon jpm will be at williams in 03. sir frank and the head chappie may not have the best of track record with their previous drivers, but jpm, is the driver they most certainly want to keep!
Old 5 Jan 2002, 15:27 (Ref:194349)   #22
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure that Williams will keep Juan Paplo .....as he has got the one main quality that Frank and Patrick look for in a driver....HE'S A TRUE RACER !!

just like Jones , Rosberg , Mansell , Villenueve ..
Old 5 Jan 2002, 17:01 (Ref:194398)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

There is no doubt that Frank and Head will want JPM in their driver's line up next year. JPM has shown great potential and the talent..which i don't think will be lost... and Williams itself is a top team... don't think JPM would leave for anyone else unless he finds the pay too low! So JPM in 2003 is almost for certain...but as Murray said...nothing in F1 is for sure...anything can happen...

But yes, JPM is the type Williams go for. But u'd be surprised that Head admitted that he and Williams, if given the choice, would go for Schumacher...
Old 5 Jan 2002, 17:11 (Ref:194404)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
what he said was that every team would go for tgf if they could (money permitting i suppose)..bet he'd have jpm in the other seat before any other driver tho...and on equal status
Old 5 Jan 2002, 18:35 (Ref:194441)   #25
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How far will Jaques go to save his F1 career...it's possible he may even start complimenting Schumacher soon.

If he can't give Panis a whipping next season, then it will probably be his last.