Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > The Driver Files

Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1890436)   #1
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Friswell, Geoff

Many of you will (I hope) remember Geoff as a very fast driver of both Clubmans and Formula Atlantic cars in the 1970s. Despite never having much money, he made a very good fist of things and was a front runner in both categories. Unfortunatley, he was one of the many who suffered at the hands of the Southern Organs fiasco.

For those who don't know, Geoff is very much alive and well, and is now back to his first love of two-wheeled motor sport, where he competes in trials and (gulp) speedway. He surfaced recently in the "other place" where he has told some superb stories of his racing days. A super guy by any standards. Any more Geoff-related stories?
Old 14 Apr 2007, 08:49 (Ref:1890903)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No anecdotes, I'm afraid, but Geoff Friswell was born 12 August, 1945, in Coventry, and competed in his first speedway event on his 16th birthday. He graduated to cars about 5 years later racing his own MGB and went onto race a whole range of machinery in Formula 4, Libre, Clubmans, Atlantic and Formula Ford. He had many wins, many fastest laps and a couple of outright lap records. (Source - Ketlewell).

Looking forward to some stories!
Old 25 Apr 2007, 09:41 (Ref:1899951)   #3
Fris the Whizz
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolston, Nr Coventry
Fris the Whizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that John, and indeed “Davemorganfan” so here goes, I’ll try and tell you a little about myself and some of my racing career. I certainly started on motorcycles, but not Speedway. I competed on my 16th birthday at a scramble meeting (Moto-Cross now!) and continued for 5 years in that branch of the sport.

In 1966 I met Bill Nicholson, a former BSA Works rider and the top man in Marque Sports Car racing in his MGB. I too had an MGB as my tow car for scrambling, but got Bill to “breath” on it and raced that, with moderate success in 1967. What I really wanted was to race single seaters, so in 1968 bought a Vixen-Imp and raced that for a year, then a newer model in 1969 (see F4 Forum) In 1970 I bought a Brabham BT21-B to race F3, but decided that as the 1000cc screamers were about to end I would use a Lotus-Twin-Cam and race in the BOC Formula Libre Championship. Again a wrong move, and just as I was beating the other twin-cam in the series, he bought an FVA motor, and those that got beaten by an FVA would buy an FVC and so on. I just couldn’t afford to change mine, but had some fun races anyhow. I decided at that point that I needed to be in a class of racing that was reasonably controlled and that I could afford. Clubmans seemed to fit the bill, they were reasonably cheap and becoming very quick.

I first raced a Clubmans car in 1971; I had become friendly with Ray Mallock, he’s still a very good friend. I built a car identical to Ray’s and had probably my most fun year ever, we would finish half a minute in front of everyone else and be separated by a fifth of a second. Ray usually won as he used his head more! We would carry on the race talking about it in the paddock afterwards. Fun days! I won 8 races that year and was 2nd in the Shell Championship.

With Ray moving on, I won both the Shell and Peter Wingfield Championships in 1972, winning 14 races. I set 12 fastest laps or lap records, and achieved the OUTRIGHT lap record at Cadwell Park, something I repeated in 1975. I don’t believe anyone else has achieved that.

I moved up to F.Atlantic in 1973, firstly in an ex-works Surtees TS10, which for me was a disaster, and then a March 73B, both with the same Brian Hart engine. The Surtees was what I’d describe as a “Works” car, very difficult to set up, and with 50 bhp less in Atlantic trim I just kept going off, I couldn’t afford to test, and eventually I demolished it at Mallory, ironically when one of the very fragile Mel-Mag wheels, which were bonded together, came apart half way round Gerrards! It actually did me a favour, as thanks to my dear old Dad, I bought a used 73B from the March works direct. This was a different animal, easy to drive and set up, even I could do it! With that I was a front runner from the off, but I didn’t achieve that elusive first win ‘till late August when I beat Colin Vandervell at Snetterton. I actually lead my second race in the car, by 3 seconds on the 11th lap of 15 at Oulton Park in early July, when the throttle jammed going up to the Esso hairpin, I scraped round but clipped the barrier and damaged a wheel…………….but suddenly I knew that I could beat everyone out there. I finished 3rd in my next race, moving up from 12th after taking avoiding action from a start line shunt, at the Yellow Pages Silverstone British GP meeting. Eventually, on 9th July, I won the final Yellow Pages Championship round at Oulton Park, winning by 12 seconds from Colin Vandervell. I set a new lap record, won the BP driver of the day award and would eventually receive a Grovewood Award Commendation for my efforts. I had no sponsorship and used the same set of slicks for the whole year, some wag commended me for making up such a story but it was absolutely true. They were originally on the Surtees and were a set from the Temporada series and were thus very hard. I only competed in 2 of the 6 Yellow Pages races and finished 3rd in the Championship, courtesy of the final double pointer! I think I was about 6th in the BP series, but unfortunately I had missed too many races. As well as my Grovewood Award I won the Chris Bristow Trophy for setting the fastest lap of the year on Silverstone Club Circuit. My friend Tom Pryce won the Grovewood that year, with Tony Brise second, both had competed in Atlantic that year.

In 1974 I kept the same car and won the first race, and went on to lead the Championship until about August I think, due to some consistent finishes, but I ran out of money and missed some races. Eventually the infamous Sid Miller of Southern Organs fame came in and helped me finish the series, but it was too late by then. Another problem I had was that at one Brands meeting Tony Brise practiced ok, but come the race he was 1•5 seconds a lap quicker than anyone else…………..he had used special F2 qualifying tyres. At the next meeting, 6 drivers were using them, and it was just two separate races, them and us! At the time Firestone owed me £200 bonus money for 2 races I had won, a set of tyres was about £136 if I remember correctly, and since I was leading the Championship I said that I would take a set of those tyres instead………absolutely no chance they said, don’t know how they are getting them!

For 1975 Sid Miller asked me to return to Clubmans, something I didn’t really want to do, but he said that if I won the Championship he would run me in F2 in 1976. With that on offer I obliterated the opposition, winning 22 races, setting one outright and another 12 lap records, with another 7 fastest laps, 3 of which equalled my own lap record. I had two 2nds, two 3rds and two 4ths, and 4 retirements due to diff failure, the Achilles heel of the Mallock in those days………..they always let go on the grid when starting, so I was lucky not to have been shunted from behind!

My car was a Mallock-U2 Mk16 (I think) with a Brian Hart Engine. Brian had prepared my F.Atlantic engine in 73/74, and whilst at the Grovewood Award ceremony in London I asked him if he would build me a Clubmans engine. At the time we were talking with Max Mosley, a former Clubmans driver himself (and very quick). Brian said he would build one and let me know when it was ready. I offered him £100 as a deposit but he wouldn’t take it, we had always had a good relationship. Brian phoned me later to say that Max almost had a heart attack, he couldn’t believe that Brian was so trusting (Max is a Barrister by profession). I still see Brian regularly, he’s a very great friend.

Well, of course, Sid Miller did a moonlight flit and the only memorable thing I have from it is my “Sidney Miller Portable Organ Award” for winning the Championship, and presented to me in a brown paper bag by Derek Bell………….. I can’t even display it, but I can tell you that it is 14 inches long and becoming very perished. Peter Evans, “De General” had some difficulty trying to persuade the nice lady at the sex shop that it was only a joke and not for his, or his lady friends own gratification!!!!! I also won the Alcoa Driver of the Year award. Unfortunately I had to sell my Mallock to pay off some of the debts which Sid Miller had forged and fiddled. Clubmans driver and my solicitor Rob Cochran managed to lessen the blow by getting me off some of the debts due to legal technicalities.

Rob was a solicitor at Burton-on-Trent but became very disillusioned with the business and got out many years ago. He now spends all his days skiing or ferrying parties of rich guests around the Scottish highlands, or working in a ski shop and making occasional guest radio appearances from his second home at Val d’Isere. His Bladon car always carried the type number as BRL…. (something). BRL is the designer and builder Brian Lisles. Brian is now MD or something similar at Newman-Hass Racing, when he went there he was chief engineer for Mario Andretti, and before that was Assistant Chief Designer at Tyrell. At the time of the Bladon he worked in Coventry at Chrysler, or whatever they were called then.

In 1976 Roy Bates read of my plight and came to my rescue. He managed to get me the works assisted Hawke FF2000, to partner Tiff Needel in the Mac McInsray car. I actually won my first race at Mallory Park, and I have a picture of Ari Vatinen presenting me with my garland. I lead the Championship most of the year, and with 4 races to go lead by 18 points (9 then for a win). Unfortunately I had a bad accident whilst practicing in my March-Hart 420R 742, and badly injured a leg due to severe frost damage from the fire extinguisher. I didn’t score in the last four races and finished 3rd in the Championship behind Ian Taylor and Tiff. They were given the works Unipart F3 drives, one of which eventually went to some guy called Nigel Mansell…………Ah, well!!!!!!

In 1980 I had a bad accident at Mallory Park in a FF2000 race, breaking my back. I was only doing it for fun by then, and although I made a comeback in 1981 I just didn’t enjoy it any more, so retired. It didn’t take long to get fed up, I was 36 by then and had raced motorbikes or cars since I was 16, so I took up Grass Track racing on a 500cc Jawa, which I loved but after three years got fed up of hurting myself, so bought a fast road bike and enjoyed that ‘till recently, but there are too many anti-speeding devices now to enjoy it, so this year I sold my road bike.

Part 2 to follow

Cheers,

Geoff Friswell
Old 25 Apr 2007, 09:43 (Ref:1899953)   #4
Fris the Whizz
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolston, Nr Coventry
Part 2 (Continued from above story)

In 2000 I took up Speedway, riding in the Veteran class on a 1950’s JAP engined machine, still too quick for us oldies! And it’s a great adrenalin rush having no brakes and a fence to hit! Also it’s cheap, no entry fees, we get invited, and an engine rebuild will cost about £150 and last for a couple of years (40 races), my local track at Brandon, Nr Coventry is only in the next village to me just 1 mile away. Anyhow I’ve done about 110 races and won 34, that was ‘till the end of 2004. I took up Trials riding to keep fit for the speedway, but in February 2005 I had the worst accident ever, when I fell off at 1 mph (yes ONE) and fell on a frozen rut which half demolished my shoulder! I had it operated on in September ’05, and then 6 months to get over it, loads of physio etc! I am back riding now, I ride in the British MotorCycle Association (BMCA) series, for old Brit bikes built before 1965. I ride a 1963 BSA “C15” 250cc and a 1962 Triumph “Tiger Cub” 200cc. I’m absolutely useless at it but its really good fun and no pressure, and a great group of people involved.

Latest update, I rode at a Speedway meeting last week, April 13th 2007, my first ride for over 2 years. It was at Brandon, my local track, and I won 2 of my 3 races so was well pleased! My shoulder was perfect, no problems at all.

Well, I think that about covers it, I’m sure my old friends will spot some errors, but I’ve looked at my old entry book and tried to be accurate, but it’s a few years back now! Anyhow if you have any questions fire away, I’ll try to answer them. I’ve enjoyed doing this, it’s brought back many happy memories, I always raced for the pleasure, even when it got more serious, one of my problems was I could never sell myself, I thought my results would talk but they didn’t, but that’s life, at least I’m still here enjoying myself, several of my friends weren’t so lucky.

That's it folks

Cheers,

Geoff Friswell
Old 25 Apr 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1899976)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Geoff, wonderful stuff; thanks for sharing it. Now maybe some of your friends will come on here with some racing anecdotes that you have (maybe deliberately!) left out!
Old 25 Apr 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1900243)   #6
Fris the Whizz
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolston, Nr Coventry
I will try and post a couple of photos, past and present. Firstly one of my favourites, leading Colin Vandervell at Oulton Park in 1973, my best ever win at the final Yellow Pages race that year.

The second was taken at Brandon last week, riding my Erskin/Staride-JAP speedway bike.

Here goes, I hope it works, if not I'll seek help!

Oulton Park. 9th September 1973

Brandon Speedway, Coventry. 13th April 2007

Cheers,

Geoff Friswell
Old 25 Apr 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1900268)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Geoff,

Thanks for the Bio it brings back lots of happy memories. You probably raced in Clubmans and Atlantics when they were at their best and very competitive. Good grids with an awful lot of talent on display. The fact you did so well on not the biggest budget around must give you great satisfaction. Some of the better times of UK motor racing!

I was at Mallory when you had your accident in the Reynard. I didn't see it but heard it wasn't good, so I'm glad to hear you are well and still competing.

One question. Why did Atlantics bite the dust? was it bad management or did the Southern Organs fiasco do the real damage?

Last edited by Alan Raine; 25 Apr 2007 at 16:59.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 21:16 (Ref:1900455)   #8
Fris the Whizz
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolston, Nr Coventry
Mallory Crash

Thanks for your comments Alan. Yes, it was a big accident, really I'm lucky to have got away with it, albeit with a broken back. The Roll-over bar collapsed, and I still have the helmet which is almost worn through on the top, just like someone got a great big file to it! I enclose a couple of shots, before and after. I have pictures of the accident in progress so to speak, but will post them later. Also I'll discuss the Atlantic issue.

Roy Bates "New" car before the meeting

............and after!

Cheers,

Geoff Friswell

Last edited by Fris the Whizz; 25 Apr 2007 at 21:19.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 16:40 (Ref:1901046)   #9
Fris the Whizz
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolston, Nr Coventry
Mallory Crash

Hi Alan,

Here are the pictures I promised of the accident actually happening! In the first photo Roy Goff (#8) is leading, behind him I am on the inside entering Devils Elbow (#98), if you look closely there is a car on my right and then another (#9), so we were 3 abreast into the corner, which in a 2000 was flat anyhow, still accellerating. Somehow Roy Goff managed to spin and I couldn't move out of the way, actually I thought that he would go off to the right due to the camber etc, but unfortunately he just slid sideways and I think I hit his back wheel. I apparently did about 3 sumersaults before hitting the outside barrier. In the second photo you can see the side pod coming off, and in the third it is flying over the fence! Fortunately you will see that I was able still to get some advertising for Roy Bates, the nose cone flying at just the correct angle for the photo! Incidentally, Richard Trott led into the bend and is already out of camera shot. This was actually my first race in FF2000 since 1977, and my last as it happened.

I was unconsious for about 15 minutes and then taken to Leicester Royal who promptly threw me out after about a 2 minute examination..........I couldn't walk and my wife Frances and Roy had to get a wheel chair to get me in the car. I went back a week later, after the concussion had subsided. I had severe back pain but they wouldn't even look at me! Another week later, after seeing my doctor, who had been away on holiday, I was sent to Rugby who instantly found two crushed vertebrae and told me that I was lucky not to have severed my spinal cord just walking! Fortunately, they told me that by that time the bones would have stabalised.

Anyhow, here are the pictures.

Entering Devils Elbow on lap 1

The side pod is coming away.

Getting in the advertising. I've just hit the armco in an explosion of dust and debris!

Regarding the demise of F.Atlantic, I don't really know. I was concentrating on winning the Clubmans Championship, thinking it would lead to a Formula 2 drive. I wished that there had been a control tyre when I did it, but I think they messed around with back to front grids and all sorts, and I don't think people took it seriously. What I do know is that the cars were fantastic to drive, good power and speed etc. I once won a race at the start of 1974 using skinny F3 wheels and tyres (Robin Herd asked me to) and if you wanted you could drive sideways everywhere, but that wasn't the quickest way, but good fun anyhow. I think in the end the powers that be just didn't want F3 and F.Atlantic.

Cheers,

Geoff Friswell
Old 26 Jan 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2113880)   #10
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I well recall your clubman's exploits with the 11B U2, At Croft the best guys were trying to get into the 10s and you came and posted an 8 or something, really upset the Northern Cubmans register, finger out time!!
Old 29 Jan 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2116514)   #11
Fris the Whizz
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolston, Nr Coventry
"Old Man" you certainly have a good memory, I just checked and discovered that I drove twice at Croft in 1972, both NSCC meetings. On 30th July I set a Lap Record in 1m 9.6sec. and on 17th September lowered it slightly to 1m 9.4sec. I remember that the first time I came the Scrutineers tried to throw me out because of the little winglets I had on the rear, but we had been using them "down south" nearly all year.............and they did make a difference, along with the full width nose, which I had designed. Eventually, after a Northern driver had intervened on my behalf I was allowed to race. I didn't know the driver at the time, but thought to myself, I can't believe how like Rob Cochran he sounds. Rob was a good Clubmans driver in our Championships, and a good friend to me, as well as being my Solicitor. This man turned out to be Malc. Cochran, Robs brother, and an eminent Surgeon! I got to know him well after that.

I enclose a photo of said car earlier in the season, on Pole Position at Silverstone, with my good friend John Smart, also a Clubmans driver, spannering for me that day, and Dick Mallock, chatting to me before the off. I won the race!

Last edited by Fris the Whizz; 29 Jan 2008 at 19:27.
Old 7 Aug 2009, 12:13 (Ref:2517324)   #12
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly Geoff Friswell succumbed to Leukemia a few days ago.

I have happy memories of his racing days especially in Clubmans and Atlantics. A good driver and by all accounts a genuinely nice bloke. I really enjoyed his positive contribution here.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends
Old 11 Aug 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2519737)   #13
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Sadly Geoff Friswell succumbed to Leukemia a few days ago.

I have happy memories of his racing days especially in Clubmans and Atlantics. A good driver and by all accounts a genuinely nice bloke. I really enjoyed his positive contribution here.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends

So sorry to hear that. He really was a quick driver.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2519760)   #14
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really sorry to hear of Geoff dying. I saw him a lot at Mallory in the seventies during what were great days of racing. I loved Atlantics and I remember the Needell, Taylor FF2000 decider very well. My friends wife has also just lost her battle against Leukemia so this really hits home.