Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1637615)   #1
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Geoff Willis Sacked?

Honda's top brass have finally grown impatient with the lack of results from their Formula One Racing team and the axe has fallen. Technical director Geoff Willis has been replaced by former engineering director Shuhei Nakamoto and a future role in the team remains uncertain.

http://www.hondaracingf1.com/en/inde...em=1588&type=1
Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1637643)   #2
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well he was always going to be first in the firing line, wasn't he?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1637662)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think Willis has been sacked yet.

Just demoted as things stand, but it doesn't look good.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1637681)   #4
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see that his title is "Senior Technical Director" as opposed to Geoff's lowly "Technical Director"! Also, "Discussions are currently taking place with Geoff Willis, Technical Director, regarding his future role with the team." Ha! His biography sounds worrying, he's been Engineering Director of HRD since 2002, but only directly involved with the F1 team since December? Successful technical directors have generally worked their way up the ranks actually within F1 teams, right?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1637683)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any space for Mr Willis at Williams??
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1637686)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Or Prodrive maybe?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1637714)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After Silverstone comments... it was obvious something like this would happen. I don't think Willis will remain with Honda, as it seemed to be some crucial move to the staff.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1637718)   #8
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
i think there is going to be a huge shift around at honda resulting in more job sacking
Old 20 Jun 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1637790)   #9
GeeRam
Racer

England
London, UK.
GeeRam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
i think there is going to be a huge shift around at honda resulting in more job sacking
I suppose something was going to happen sooner or later.

I'm sceptical though of motorsport guys being replaced by corporate company car men, only a backward step IMHO, Ford/Jaguar failed in this way, Toyota arn't doing to well on it either, and it's funny how BAR/Honda have been generally rubbish since Honda got shot of DR, which I was convinced would be the case....

Renault seem to be have it sussed.......
Old 20 Jun 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1637804)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Renault seem to be have it sussed
It would seem to be the case; Renault purchased Benetton and have tended to focus on their area of expertise (i.e. engines), leaving the other activities in the hands of the experienced racers. That said Shuhei Nakamoto appears to have a title, which suggests that he will oversee technical activity and therefore it may be possible that an individual, of comparable F1 experience to Willis may be employed.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1637843)   #11
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
It would seem to be the case; Renault purchased Benetton and have tended to focus on their area of expertise (i.e. engines), leaving the other activities in the hands of the experienced racers. That said Shuhei Nakamoto appears to have a title, which suggests that he will oversee technical activity and therefore it may be possible that an individual, of comparable F1 experience to Willis may be employed.

Agreed

Honda put to many eggs in one basket and this is why they are all over the place.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 17:00 (Ref:1637854)   #12
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading the other reports, I didn't read this as Willis being sacked...but it'll probably come. Shame.

We always use his name for answers at pub quizzes when we haven't got a clue what it is...its become our standard 'haven't got the foggiest' answer. Not sure why. We just like his name I think.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1637867)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes,when all else fails (including your engines) kick out the guy who at least got you a few podiums and replace him with a guy who knows a lot about motorbikes.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1637897)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remind me to never join goodhorsehymn on a quiz team.

Seems like Geoff is the scapegoat for the team's problems, which is a shame whe he was involved in the successful 2004 car and Nakamoto was not. Removing ex-BAR people makes it look like Honda are making gradual progress.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1637898)   #15
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I have to say this 'reshuffle' doesn't fill me with any kind of optimism. I'm afraid it's going to take more than a few staff changes to alter my opinion that Honda's current biggest asset is their ability to talk themselves up without any evidence to suggest why. I hate to be so negative, but the team really should have built on 2004 by now and I'm tired of being promised endless false dawns. Previous posts have been spot on: getting rid of Dave Richards was a mistake, and Renault really have shown how it should be done. I can't add anything to what's already been said about Willis' 'replacement', but if GW does eventually end up leaving then I think the team will have made a real mistake. What next, a space found for Mike Gascoyne in the team in a hopeful attempt to get one over Toyota?
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1637907)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Honda are Toyota.

Certainly, they are becoming hard to distinguish these days.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1637915)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing is certain... both are japanese.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1637917)   #18
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Any space for Mr Willis at Williams??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Or Prodrive?
Why would a person being ostensibly and allegedly "sacked" for non-performance become so attractive to other teams? Williams aren't usually the "welcome back with open arms" kind of team, and David Richards is fully aware of Willis's capabilities from previous times.

I assume that if he does turn up at Prodrive it can be taken that DR won't be holding Willis responsible for the fiasco at Honda....
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1637922)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Williams fell out with Willis over a twin keel issue, that I can't be bothered going into. Basically, Patrick Head felt he mislead the design team and set them back. SO he ain't going there.

Prodrive? Perhaps. Willis, after all, has done a largely excellent job for BAR and Honda. This season hasn't been great, but it hasn't been a train crash. It's as much about the people around him as himself.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1637932)   #20
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Prodrive? Perhaps. Willis, after all, has done a largely excellent job for BAR and Honda. This season hasn't been great, but it hasn't been a train crash. It's as much about the people around him as himself.
I wasn't suggesting that Willis is to blame solely for Honda's season, but all these guys live and die by their reputation.

My point being that unless an insider (such as DR) knows for a fact that Willis isn't to blame it would be strange to assume that any of the other teams would rush to give him a job, having been let go from his previous team for lack of success..
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1637933)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I think stuff like that happens a lot.

And DR knows Willis well enough and always rated him highly.

Remember, Willis' main contribution to BAR was to organise the design team into a cohesive unit. It worked brilliantly and it would be ideal for a new team like Prodrive.

That's my thoughts on it anyways...
Old 20 Jun 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1638085)   #22
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Honda's first measure to improve situation: to rename Senior Ultra Tech Director to Nakacar.

Second measure: to renew contract of second driver Dr. Frasier Crane, formerly known as Rubinho.

With sound measures like those, how they are not going to have success? After all a team which director is named Fry is going to be brilliant , now they just need a driver with one eye! ("obscure" Futurama allusion )

(Ok, ok, I know I again need my pills)
Old 20 Jun 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1638120)   #23
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I don't think Willis has been sacked yet.

Just demoted as things stand, but it doesn't look good.
The old cultral gap again, in Japan, if you are demoted, you are sacked, simple as that.
He will now be out of the loop, and any work that he does do will be very specific and controlled, and probably not very interesting.

If/when he leaves it will be of his own choosing, which saves face for Honda and for Willis. Otherwise he will be able to stay until the natural end of his contract, which will not be renewed. To outright sack him would be admitting that made a mistake for keeping him on. People who left after BAR are OK, because they are not Honda people.

Toyota IS very different to Honda, as their business was set up on more western lines, however, they seem to be moving to Japanese ways.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 01:34 (Ref:1638139)   #24
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm... that is a very interesting explanation and it seems to make perfect sense. I spend about 2 weeks in japan last year and its an extremely fascinating place to me.

I would like your opinion on what will happen to Nick Fry. Everyone on the motorsport forums considers him a failure as a team Principlal and he is generally regarded as an ineffectual leader. Do you think that Honda is aware of the general public opinion or is Nick Fry just a puppet and someone in Japan makes all of the "Team Principal" decisions anyway?
Old 21 Jun 2006, 03:32 (Ref:1638158)   #25
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see a certain J Button wanting to leave once they get rid of willis.