Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2168933)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
GP2 Asia - Bahrain weekend thread

Well the weekend is almost upon us.

Can anyone stop Grosjean? Valles, Filippi, Senna, Fauzy and Petrov are the guys most likely too.....

Big news of the weekend so far is that according to what i've read on their schedules; Eurosport is showing Saturday's race but not Sunday's?!! Strange.....
Old 4 Apr 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2169447)   #2
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the schedule on Eurosport's site, they are showing Sunday's race at 9am.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2169500)   #3
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only both GP2 races, but both Speedcar and Porsche Supercup races. A motorsport overload this weekend with F1, IRL, WTCC, Nascar, LMS, ALMS, BSB, and WSBK as well.

Grosjean fastest in practice, half a second faster than the rest of the field.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2169517)   #4
Speedfreak
Rookie

Speedfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happend to pastor?
Old 4 Apr 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2169599)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Maldonado?

He isn't in Asia series. Only signed up for main series with Piquet Sports or whatever their called now.

Once again Grosjean is miles clear so far, let's see if he can replicate that pace in qualy.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2169601)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pastor??? But if he don't race in GP2 Asia. He will start at GP2 Series season at the end of this month.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2169622)   #7
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the average level (driving standards) of GP2 Asia is disappointing me.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 18:48 (Ref:2169767)   #8
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are no dominators in GP2 at the moment, but the series still brings spectacle. It could be good for formula racing that the series can continue with its peculiar attraction. Maybe Grosjean could give us a surprise this year.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2169789)   #9
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did something happen to Jelley, or is the keyword "slow"?
Old 4 Apr 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2169827)   #10
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Jelley is just plain slow.

But damn, qualifying times are in here, and damn Grosjean is good at qualifying.

Once he gets used to the GP2 car, and on tracks he knows...I really find it hard to bet against him winning the main GP2 series. His average qualifying time must be getting on for .5 of a second faster than his next closest rival.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2169885)   #11
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Calm down Sev, for main series you've Maldonado, Zuber, Pantano and Filippi as main rivals, they do not do Asian rounds. Filippi will be strong oposition in ART GP2, much stronger than Jelley, who's main activities are BTCC rounds this days. Ofc he is strong, but I doubt he'll be that much stronger in the main series.
Old 5 Apr 2008, 06:04 (Ref:2170020)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Looks like I-Sport could be in for good weekend, 2nd and 3rd on grid but strange to see Filippi and both Campos cars so far back?
Old 5 Apr 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2170141)   #13
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where do you guys get the coverage because there's nothing over here, Speed's not even talking about it? Any video feeds around or...?
Old 5 Apr 2008, 14:39 (Ref:2170359)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
And Grosjean won again! Buemi second and Kobayashi third on the first race.
Old 5 Apr 2008, 15:38 (Ref:2170395)   #15
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Dominant race by Grosjean once he got out front. I thought it was pretty entertaining throughout the field. Buemi and Senna drove well, especially with Senna recovering from the delay in the pits. I can't understand why people still stay out during a safety car; it's never going to be successful unless you have an incredibly fast car and can pull out a 20-30 second gap.

Chandok on pole tomorrow, despite another amateur mistake coming out of the pits. He seems quick enough to hold the lead at first, but for me Grosjean will come through, with Valles, Senna and Buemi in pursuit. With Grosjean only needing a top three finish to clinch the title, it's likely we'll have the first GP2 Asia Champion crowned tomorrow morning.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 03:47 (Ref:2170834)   #16
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i preview one asian victory for tomorrow. grosjean will be champion too.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2170966)   #17
Race to Win
Rookie

Race to Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You got an asian victory but I guess not the one expected!!!
Grosjean keeps it alive!!
Old 6 Apr 2008, 10:07 (Ref:2170976)   #18
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't think so, the GP2 Asia series has been won by Grosjean with one event remaining.

Dominance.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2170981)   #19
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Congratulations to Grosjean for winning the title, but let's hope that he has a little more competition in the main series. He'll start as favourite, and unfortunately none of his rivals, while sometimes having the speed to challenge him, seem to have the consistency over a season. On the form of GP2 Asia I don't see a Kovalainen or Piquet to keep him honest.

Some good racing this weekend, with plenty of overtaking. While Bahrain may have all the character of a car park, it produces some excellent racing.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2170987)   #20
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Very entertaining race. Never really saw Grosjean after he got in front, pretty terrible start though. Suprising to see Valles so slow, I expected him to at least podium.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2171179)   #21
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies for the technical problems during the broadcast - hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment of the (estimated) 742 over-taking manoeuvres!!

Too much to keep up with, with only one TV in the lounge, I suspect...
Old 6 Apr 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2171302)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for the thoughts Martin, appreciate that. When I checked schedules earlier in week, there was no listing of race 2 being shown. Shame I missed what you're referring to!

Hats off to Grosjean then. Really looks a cut above the others. Could have 2 Frenchmen in F1 next year then?!!!
Old 6 Apr 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2171393)   #23
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
The live feed suddenly switched to a World Superbike logo for about thirty seconds. I presume we missed a few dozen manoeuvres Martin?

Given his previous performance in Dubai Romain should have a successful weekend there, but I suppose Luca Filippi might pose more of a challenge to Grosjean than Jelley come Barcelona and GP2 proper.

Last edited by Charlies; 6 Apr 2008 at 15:36.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2171461)   #24
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes, I agree Filippi holds our main hope.

But I'm really dissapointed in Senna/Chandhok/Buemi. I had them marked as title challengers, but in the same teams as they are in for the main GP2 event, they were no where near Grosjean.

Basically, we're left with Filippi, the Piquet drivers (Zuber and Maldonado), or the RE drivers (Villa). And my one concern is that all of those drivers are experienced in GP2, in teams of similar capability to what they are in next year. In those top class teams, none of them managed to challenge for a title. Villa is about the only one who can really claim inexperience either.

I think GP2 may be about to witness its first uncontested season.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2171821)   #25
damien.tyler
Rookie

damien.tyler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont think we should get ahead of ourselves here....the European series is a fresh start and anything can happen again.....the isport boys have had some terrible luck go their way..have been on the ball in terms of pace but unlucky with the races themselves...Nunes climbing the curb to t-bone chandhok (for which i think he was penalised) and Senna not even starting....and we should see more competition with Pantano, Villa etc....im really looking forward to it