Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 Sep 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2280703)   #1
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Bibs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Safety Car...

Who drives it, is it a member of the Marshalling team? Can I have a go?
Old 3 Sep 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2280715)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A SC has to be driven by a current competition licence holder.......so unless you have one....NO.
The driver is accompanied by an Observer....usually carried out either by a Chief Observer or Clerk.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2280730)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Bibs, I know you're fresh and keen, but even if you do have a competition licence the clerk of the course would probably want to know you better.
So like Mark says, short answer no, but from me, long term answer, yes, you could give it a go (with the right credentials)
Give it some time. Remember too, you'd be displacing somebody else thats enjoying doing it.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2280746)   #4
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Bibs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher
Bibs, I know you're fresh and keen

Thanks for the answer, I'd like to have a go one day but understand it won't be for a while yet! Just noob curiosity, t'is all
Old 3 Sep 2008, 11:48 (Ref:2280750)   #5
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's one of those "I want to do it" jobs! I have to admit I'd really like to do that myself, but the licence restrictions (can't afford a comp licence) and lack of experience kinda knock it on the head for the foreseeable future.

From experience, the SC is usually driven by an instructor from the resident racing school (most circuits have one), as they are most experienced in driving the circuit - which is another requirement of the driver.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2280841)   #6
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there was something new in the blue book this year about the SC driver must have competed in the class of car, ie GT/saloon drivers may not drive a saftey cars for single seaters.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 3 Sep 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2280864)   #7
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack
I think there was something new in the blue book this year about the SC driver....
Where? I've never been able to find anything about the SC in the Blue Book!

But don't care.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2280930)   #8
toyotamr2
Rookie

toyotamr2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think the rules changed recently and the SC driver must have held a competition licence. So valid licence is no longer required.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2280932)   #9
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
A SC has to be driven by a current competition licence holder.......so unless you have one....NO.
The driver is accompanied by an Observer....usually carried out either by a Chief Observer or Clerk.
Not quite true Mark. It used to be the case that the driver had to hold a licence of the same grade as the event i.e. for a Nat. A race the driver would need to hold a Nat. A race licence.

However, the current wording is "......any driver of a Safety Car during a Race (n.b. not including the driver of any car controlling a formation lap), is a suitably experienced circuit driver who should have or had previously held a Competition Licence............". Reg. B27

A number of events, such as BTCC (& support races), Dunlop Great & British, tend to have a permanent Safety Car driver/observer team for consistency but there are other championships and one-off events that run them and tend to make arrangements locally (from my experience). As Bodysnatcher touched on, I think any clerk would want to be sure that the driver is suitably experienced as the job is definitely not a case of charging around being followed by a load of racing cars!
Old 3 Sep 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2280934)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Masters, ME!
Old 3 Sep 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2280952)   #11
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
As Bodysnatcher touched on, I think any clerk would want to be sure that the driver is suitably experienced as the job is definitely not a case of charging around being followed by a load of racing cars!
The problem is, how do you get experience without doing the job to gain the experience to get the job for which you need the experience to get?

Catch 22 (again!)
Old 3 Sep 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2280971)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Dave!
Old 3 Sep 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2281040)   #13
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
The problem is, how do you get experience without doing the job to gain the experience to get the job for which you need the experience to get?

Catch 22 (again!)
My interpretation of "suitably experienced" is experienced in circuit driving/racing & an experienced marshal or racing driver, as to understand the actual function that the safety car fulfills.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 18:32 (Ref:2281044)   #14
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Rugby
My interpretation of "suitably experienced" is experienced in circuit driving/racing & an experienced marshal or racing driver, as to understand the actual function that the safety car fulfills.
So, you want a marshal who is good at track driving then or a racing driver who understands Safety cars.

I'd better get practicing! in about 10 years I might actually be good.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2281052)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an international "C" license,been racing for 21yrs.Hope this gives an idea of whats required by your friendly CoC.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2281053)   #16
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Catch 22 (again!)
Get some racing experence in !!
Easy.

Think that rules have changed for driving the med car as well.

Think you've got to hold an competion licence and or a rescue licence.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2281069)   #17
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
What was it before?

And getting racing experience in is always good if you can afford it. Can I borrow your Saxo?
Old 3 Sep 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2281088)   #18
speedy jon
Racer

Wales
pencoed
speedy jon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
in about 10 years I might actually be good.

you will need more than 10yrs kev
Old 3 Sep 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2281173)   #19
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy jon
you will need more than 10yrs kev
Charming!
Old 3 Sep 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2281201)   #20
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SC observer will probably be a marshal, usually an experienced regular with the series or organising club. It might be fun but you'll have to sit in the car all afternoon (or day), possibly in the baking sun and perhaps somewhere where you can't really see what's happening on the track. The only time you might see the cars is over your shoulder or in the door mirror, unless you have to stick your arm out (in the rain) to wave a few past - although there was that DTM guy in the 90's who used to stand up through the sun roof (including in the rain?) .
Old 3 Sep 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2281210)   #21
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember a safety car that actually had the observer seat facing backwards, or is just my age catching up with me.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 23:34 (Ref:2281266)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
a racing driver who understands Safety cars.
I'm not absolutely convinced there are any!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieman
It might be fun but you'll have to sit in the car all afternoon (or day), possibly in the baking sun and perhaps somewhere where you can't really see what's happening on the track.
Did the job for ASCAR at Rockingham a few years ago. Sat at the end of pitlane, wearing a helmet, unable to see more than a few yards of track into turn one. On the face of it, it should be the most boring day's marshalling you could have, but it wasn't. It was one of the biggest buzzes I've ever had at a race meeting.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 03:34 (Ref:2281344)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've done it a couple of times at Calder here in Melbourne filling in when the regular guy wasn't available and it's minutes of excitement punctuated by hours of sitting around waiting for something to happen.

It's a weird feeling diving out of pit lane and having a bunch of Formula Holdens (think F3000's with a local 3.8l V6 fitted) come screaming up behind you

The vehicle I got to use was a V8 Monaro which you guys in the UK would be familiar with as a car the Top Gear guys like to drive sideways but of course as a safety car I did not
Old 4 Sep 2008, 03:37 (Ref:2281346)   #24
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes Knakkers, the cruise is your friend.

That Monaro is pretty sweet though
Old 4 Sep 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2281423)   #25
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
There's a LOT of misconceptions about safety car driving (and pace cars for rolling starts). A safety car is almost NEVER driven at racing speeds nor should it be!!! The purpose of the safety car is to neutralise the race, either until an incident is cleared or the weather (usually heavy rain or poor visability) improves.
The reason for having an experienced racing driver behind the wheel is that they have a 'feel' for the right sort of speeds for the conditions and type of cars they're leading. Above all they must have the ability to work with the observer, as a team to speed up, slow down, move over and wave past, all in a smooth and controlled way and, in fact, the last thing you need is a safety car driver who wants to show off or prove that they could actually be leading the race on merit. Fact - very few racing drivers make good safety car drivers!
......and as Terence knows, it's no way as glamourous as one might think! .....and he can't smoke!