Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jun 2001, 09:06 (Ref:109875)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
2001 Predictions - Mika

Did anyone think predict Mika to do so poorly this year (in print).
Quote:
from autorace.com
"I can win, I know how to win. Our team definitely will get stronger and better in the future so I see no reason why I could not win races."
After the last 3 seasons, if someone had told me these words would come from Mika's mouth this season I would never have believed them. It would have sounded more appropriate coming from a Jordan or BAR drivers mouth than a double world champion.

Poor Mika
Old 26 Jun 2001, 10:15 (Ref:109882)   #2
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would hve thought he need not say any such thing. He would have won a GP this year if engine had not ventilated itself. As I have said in another thread, there would be guys on the grid that would love some of Mikas results. Even from this season.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 10:53 (Ref:109892)   #3
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not if they had Mika's car!
Old 26 Jun 2001, 17:45 (Ref:110011)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's true. However, the race he lost due to engine failure was cruel!
Old 26 Jun 2001, 17:54 (Ref:110018)   #5
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just watched an MPEG of Mika's last lap...*sniff sniff*

Dunno why, but TGF reminds me of Darth Vader in a TIE Fighter in that clip...whilst Mika shakes his head and prods away at the buttons on his steering wheel, Darth comes chasing along
Old 27 Jun 2001, 14:15 (Ref:110286)   #6
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika just doesn't have the emotional boost he's got before. If someone else was in that mclaren, Say Jacques Villeneuve, They would be winning races every time out.
No offense to MIka, I think he's a top driver, It's just that I think he's lost it a little bit, He used to slaughter DC in qualifying, and now, He just, I dunno, it's sad really, to see him like this.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 02:00 (Ref:110571)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I adore him and it pains a long-time fan to say it, but its over. I really believe he doesn't have that little bit extra any more. DC has raised his game as Mika's has slipped.
I become more convinced with every race that his mind is made up and he will be quitting at the end of the season. It won't be public until the last race is run, but I expect Wurz to be in that seat next year.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 02:19 (Ref:110575)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
I become more convinced with every race that his mind is made up and he will be quitting at the end of the season. It won't be public until the last race is run, but I expect Wurz to be in that seat next year.
Nothing against Alex Wurz but I hope not. Mika has been consistently quick in the right machinery. I think that the time to bid him farewell has not come yet. But I can't see him driving for another team nor can I see Ron firing him.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 09:56 (Ref:110678)   #9
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's real loss for the sport when deserving driver has to drag behind or get off. Mika made F1 worth watching last 3 years. David, behind the weak car and without real team's support, may turn the championship into one-hourse race.

Hope, he'll wake up and return to the first line, but it's more likely he's leaving.
Old 28 Jun 2001, 23:07 (Ref:110964)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I have said it once and I will say it again..The 2001 McLaren is not cutting it..Mika Hakkinen is a fantastic driver..Two WDC prove it!
Old 28 Jun 2001, 23:14 (Ref:110966)   #11
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
In my very biased opinion, if TGF is going to get at least 4 WDCs, then Mika should get at least 3. Although this is probably not in Bernie's script

I wonder what will happen when it becomes mathematically impossible for Mika to win this year - an announcement regarding his future then, perhaps?
Old 29 Jun 2001, 04:36 (Ref:111046)   #12
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by mjstallard
In my very biased opinion, if TGF is going to get at least 4 WDCs, then Mika should get at least 3.
Based on the logic of .......?

Quote:
Although this is probably not in Bernie's script
Again with the script, *People, People* , is Bernie really causing the mac to be a slug and Mika to drive slowly?

Quote:
I wonder what will happen when it becomes mathematically impossible for Mika to win this year - an announcement regarding his future then, perhaps?
There is mathematical possibility and then there's reality. It's already over for Mika. If he had David's points he'd still be a long shot.

It's time Mika, you don't need this, leave now and be remembered as the flying finn, don't do a Damon on us.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 07:32 (Ref:111075)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrex said:
Quote:
It's time Mika, you don't need this, leave now and be remembered as the flying finn, don't do a Damon on us.
Wrex, you have hit the nail on the head. Big fan of Mika , especially when interviewed!, but since last season he has not seemed to have the same self belief in his ability and he doesn't seem as motivated. I hope he doesn't stay unless he is out there trying to win, no matter current position on the track. Damon's demise was extremely painful to watch.Also, if he doesn't try and help DC, they will need a driver who will agree to team rules at all times, not just when it is in their favour to do so.
Old 1 Jul 2001, 00:26 (Ref:111635)   #14
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No ones said it yet, but maybe the burdens of fatherhood have taken their tole on Mika. Hes reportly enraputured with his new kid, maybe the he's beginning to see racing as dangerous rather than exciting. Signs of aging! I think everyone will miss him
Old 1 Jul 2001, 04:48 (Ref:111656)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by davebreen
No ones said it yet, but maybe the burdens of fatherhood have taken their tole on Mika. Hes reportly enraputured with his new kid, maybe the he's beginning to see racing as dangerous rather than exciting. Signs of aging! I think everyone will miss him
I think I heard that Hugo came to the GP in Canada. I don't know whether this is a regular habit, but I think that this is not the best way to focus on a GP qualifying session or a race. Just looking at his cute baby could make him wonder, if only for a split second, why the hell he is stepping into an F1 car. In such a hazardous sport, I think that the competitors should put all other things out of their minds, and just focus on the task at hand. Sure, I think that MIka's qualifying session at Mangy Corse was an improvement and perhaps he will make it back to the front of the grid - only time or a few more races will tell. I don't think he will suffer the ignominy that Damon went through - if Ron Dennis fired him, I am sure he would quit F1. The sad thing about Damon was that he was fired after winning the WDC for Frank, and it is difficult for any driver to quit when he has just been crowned champion for the first time.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 1 Jul 2001 at 04:54.
Old 2 Jul 2001, 12:29 (Ref:112070)   #16
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Based on the logic of .......?
I did say "my very biased opinion"...hence, logic goes out the window!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Again with the script, *People, People* , is Bernie really causing the mac to be a slug and Mika to drive slowly?
Not really, just a combination of me being facetious and clutching at non-existant straws

I'm still undecided as to whether I'd want to see Mika go for it again next year - to my mind, there are at least 3 races this year so far that Mika could have won (note the italicised "could") this year, but the absolutely fantastic mechanical reliability of this year's mac (I wonder if they designed the car for half-distance races or something... ) has resulted in nil points. As each race goes by, I think "surely his luck has to change", but it doesn't - maybe he should give the rest of this year to Wurz, and wait for next year's evolution of the Newey/Mercedes combo. Neweygate should be forgotten by then, and Big Ron can let Adrian play with his crayons and his desk fan again. Sorry, my facetiousness got the better of me again

But, Mika is slower than DC this year - my straw clutching says that it is a facet of the poo handling of the car, but common sense dictates that Mika's car doesn't suit having a baby seat fitted to it...
Old 4 Jul 2001, 17:40 (Ref:113034)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles had his family with him almost every race. He said it helped stabilize him.

But I too think Mika has passed his sell-by date and if he is the gracious and sensible man he seems to be, he will bow out soon and allow the rest of the season to be a "farewell tour" and go home and do something else. Maybe create more little Mikas?
Old 4 Jul 2001, 18:31 (Ref:113064)   #18
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
Go for it Mika...Hugo Hakkinen, WDC 2026!