Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Feb 2009, 23:38 (Ref:2395770)   #1
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1983-85 Austin Rover Rallysprints @ Donington Park

This end-of-season 'friendly' event saw the leading Grand Prix drivers of the time, take on the top International rally drivers of the time on a variety of disciplines. It usually involved a rally stage, a circuit race and an autotest - the winner being the driver with the best result combined from each discipline - but the 1983-1985 era always inolved Austin Rover cars for obvious reasons. Over the years the event used various combinations of Metros, Maestros, Montegos for the races and autotests, but the more powerful Rover Vitesse and MG Metro 6R4 for the 'mock' rally stage.

In those days, I hadn't yet really grasped the benefits of photography, or obtaining the event results at the time, but just wondered if anyone has any photographs, results or recollections of these events between 1983 and 1985?

I appreciate this is a continuation of the late 1970s / early 1980s rallysprints, but it is primarily the Austin Rover sponsored versions that I am interested in. When I get home this evening I'll dig out some Rover and Metro photos and get them scanned in.

Some of the Rover related information will have been included within the (current) 57 pages of the thread concerning the Group A Rover SD1/3500 Vitesse - History & Whereabouts - http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81326

Old 12 Feb 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2396059)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Just to move things on a bit, some YouTube clips from the rally stage- Plenty of sideways Rover action,

In 2 parts, the caption says it's 83, but some of the comments posted suggest it might be '84...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0gGZsObqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...YnIBUQ6Y&gl=GB
Old 12 Feb 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2396061)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Nice idea for thread David!! This ought to go well.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2396096)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Just to move things on a bit, some YouTube clips from the rally stage- Plenty of sideways Rover action,

In 2 parts, the caption says it's 83, but some of the comments posted suggest it might be '84...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0gGZsObqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...YnIBUQ6Y&gl=GB
What a fantastic find those videos are. Sideways Rover V8's and Michelle Mouton being flirtatious - The stuff that dreams are made of!
Old 12 Feb 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2396097)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
A couple more pics- Mansell in the 'Sandvik'-backed Rover, as seen in the video
http://flickr.com/photos/27880036@N07/2611511606/

From the same Flickr album, a few shots that seem to have been taken at the same event-
Mansell demonstrating a Williams...
http://flickr.com/photos/27880036@N07/2611578732/

...and Austin Rover taking the opportunity to show off one of the prototype 6R4s....
http://flickr.com/photos/27880036@N0...n/photostream/
http://flickr.com/photos/27880036@N07/2661974124/
http://flickr.com/photos/27880036@N07/2661930236/
http://flickr.com/photos/27880036@N07/2661104455/

...and another Rover shot
http://flickr.com/photos/estoril/2146117784/

Last edited by KA; 12 Feb 2009 at 13:47.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 13:50 (Ref:2396107)   #6
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Totally off topic for this thread, but these 6R4 pictures have reminded me. Does anyone remember the short film shown on the Grandstand of Tony Pond 'testing' a prototype red & silver 6R4 (probably this one repainted in Computervision colours?).
Old 12 Feb 2009, 14:56 (Ref:2396153)   #7
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
Totally off topic for this thread, but these 6R4 pictures have reminded me. Does anyone remember the short film shown on the Grandstand of Tony Pond 'testing' a prototype red & silver 6R4 (probably this one repainted in Computervision colours?).
First prototypes were red....
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5fXytpBE6FY/R2...WillWR0009.jpg

...later gaining the 60's BMC-style white roof

http://6r4.net/mg/images/stories/york.jpg

...and eventually Computervision colours (or 'Ternco Fuels' blue/yellow for the ITV drama series 'Winning Streak'
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/4536/ternco1ez5.jpg )

I don't think I ever saw the Grandstand piece though

Last edited by KA; 12 Feb 2009 at 14:59.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2396177)   #8
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
If I could have predicted three forum members that would definitely contribute to this thread, then you guys would have been the three that I'd have chosen! I am glad it is a topic of interest.

Many thanks for the links posted so far. I think most of us have seen these before elsewhere (!), but they are still very relevant to this topic, so please keep them coming. I am hoping for some new material to be found.

Regarding 6R4s - that really is another topic in itself! - but that clip that VIVA GT mentions is also used on the Austin Rover commissioned 'From Genesis to Revelation' video/DVD. I gather this is still available, and the film showed one of the first three prototypes (A656 NJO to A658 NJO) being thrashed around the Gaydon test track by Pond himself.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2396238)   #9
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport
If I could have predicted three forum members that would definitely contribute to this thread, then you guys would have been the three that I'd have chosen! I am glad it is a topic of interest.

Many thanks for the links posted so far. I think most of us have seen these before elsewhere (!), but they are still very relevant to this topic, so please keep them coming. I am hoping for some new material to be found.

Regarding 6R4s - that really is another topic in itself! - but that clip that VIVA GT mentions is also used on the Austin Rover commissioned 'From Genesis to Revelation' video/DVD. I gather this is still available, and the film showed one of the first three prototypes (A656 NJO to A658 NJO) being thrashed around the Gaydon test track by Pond himself.
David, am I really THAT predictable? (I suppose you knew I was going to ask that!)
Oh, and unfortunately, the first link (to the red prototype) doesn't appear to work, sorry...
Old 12 Feb 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2396255)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I only remember watching the '84 even on 'Grandstand' Mansell was joined by Jones, Watson, Rosberg from memory from F1 and then there was Pond, Brookes, Vatanen, Airrikala? from rallying or something.

The Rovers were good TV because the rear ends were all over the place.

It was also quality seeing Maestro's or Montego's getting absolutely hammered!!!
Old 12 Feb 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2396406)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The '83 event was the first motorsport event I ever visited, and I went to all three.

I'm sure I remember someone rolling one of the 6R4s - can anyone confirm that?

I also remember the foggy event where the cars - Montegos - disappeared for an age. The commentator commented that they'd probably stopped to look for directions.

I also remember some poor spectator on the rally stage standing on a tree stump for a better view. The first car came past, threw up a load of stones and he stepped backwards landing headfirst in the hedge.

Somewhere in the loft I have a few photos, but whether I can find them is another matter.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2396417)   #12
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
David, am I really THAT predictable? (I suppose you knew I was going to ask that!)
Oh, and unfortunately, the first link (to the red prototype) doesn't appear to work, sorry...
Hi VIVA GT - knew you'd say that!

The link wasn't something that I posted though, it is KA's task to resolve your issue.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2396435)   #13
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I only remember watching the '84 even on 'Grandstand' Mansell was joined by Jones, Watson, Rosberg from memory from F1 and then there was Pond, Brookes, Vatanen, Airrikala? from rallying or something.
1983 was Nigel Mansell 1, Jimmy McRae 2, John Watson 3, Pentti Arrikala 4, Derek Warwick 5, Stig Blomqvist 6, Danny Sulivan 7, and Tony Pond 8.

1984 was Nigel Mansell 1, Michele Mouton 2, Martin Brundle 3, Marc Duez 4, Jimmy McRae 5, Keke Rosberg 6, Per Eklund 7 and John Watson 8.

1985 was Nigel Mansell 1, Kalle Grundel 2, Juha Kankkunen 3, John Watson 4, Thiery Boutsen 5, Martin Brundle 6, Malcolm Wilson 7, and Stig Blomqvist 8.

I'm pretty sure I have copies of all of the old Autosport / Motoring News reports around here somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them out, along with the programmes from each event.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 22:11 (Ref:2396436)   #14
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
The '83 event was the first motorsport event I ever visited, and I went to all three.

I'm sure I remember someone rolling one of the 6R4s - can anyone confirm that?

I also remember the foggy event where the cars - Montegos - disappeared for an age. The commentator commented that they'd probably stopped to look for directions.

I also remember some poor spectator on the rally stage standing on a tree stump for a better view. The first car came past, threw up a load of stones and he stepped backwards landing headfirst in the hedge.

Somewhere in the loft I have a few photos, but whether I can find them is another matter.
I too went to all three Woolley, however I didn't take any photos of the 1983 event for some reason.

I have photos of the £40,000 brand new Clubman MG Mtero 6R4 that John Watson rolled in 1985 with a mere 22.1 miles on the clock! Yes I even tool a photo of the dash where you can make out the mileage. Colin Malkin informed me that it would be stripped for spares and the bodyshell written off!

This was the foggy event that you remember as well, 1985.

I'd love to see some of those photos you mention, just hope you can find them after dangling a carrot in front of us like that!
Old 12 Feb 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2396450)   #15
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I went to the first rallysprint at Donny, but the dates have escaped me a bit. I know he has his detractors, but I love Nige. Always balls out whatever he drove, a true racer.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2396473)   #16
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
I couldn't agree more with you 'paddy' - he was a racer amongst drivers!

I found the photo below earlier this evening, which although it concerns a demonstration of an MG Metro Turbo and a Rover Vitesse at the 1984 Rallysprint, I'm sure the contributors on the Group A Rover Vitesse thread will be very interested to see the Rover, and identify which car it is...

Old 13 Feb 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2396495)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Rover Sport
I have photos of the £40,000 brand new Clubman MG Mtero 6R4 that John Watson rolled in 1985 with a mere 22.1 miles on the clock!
Thank you. I was thinking Watson even as I was typing it, but despite the fact it happened almost right in front of me, I couldn't recall it in enough detail to be certain this was where I'd seen it.

Quote:
I'd love to see some of those photos you mention, just hope you can find them after dangling a carrot in front of us like that!
You haven't seen my loft... IIRC, mainly pictures of the autotest section, but maybe some of the rallying. They're probably at the bottom of one of several boxes buried under goodness know what up there, next to the Japanese soldier who doesn't know the war's over! It's cold up there, too. And I wasn't too good at photography back then, so who knows what quality they'll be.

Just trying to put you off. I may just venture up on Sunday and see what I can find. I may even have the programme from at least one of them - not too sure on that, though.

I could have sworn Duez won in '83, since I'd never heard of him back then and the name stuck in my head, so I was quite surprised to see the results posted above.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2396599)   #18
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
...next to the Japanese soldier who doesn't know the war's over! It's cold up there, too.
Absolute classic!

Quote:
I could have sworn Duez won in '83, since I'd never heard of him back then and the name stuck in my head, so I was quite surprised to see the results posted above.
Sorry, I should have made it clearer - those numbers after each name areb the actual Start Nos rather than where they actually finished. Sorry about that, I should have clarified that at the time of posting!

You are indeed correct, Marc Duez won in 1984! Nigel Mansell won the 1983 event, and Stig Blomqvist the 1985 event if I remember right. Apologies for any confusion caused.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2396749)   #19
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Link still seems to work for me, but if it isn't working for you, the same pic and more can be found here
http://williams.latphoto.co.uk/?page=Images&cat=14
and here....
http://picasaweb.google.com/fomenkoa...781984Williams#
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2396791)   #20
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Link still seems to work for me, but if it isn't working for you, the same pic and more can be found here
http://williams.latphoto.co.uk/?page=Images&cat=14
and here....
http://picasaweb.google.com/fomenkoa...781984Williams#
Thanks KA, that's done the trick.
That must have been one hell of a noisy thing to drive, there doesn't appear to be a bulkhead between the driver and engine like there was in the production version, and people used to wear headphones when they drove those!
Old 13 Feb 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2396822)   #21
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
The 'look' that the Metro 6R4 had back then in 1983 was exactly as it was designed by Williams, and exactly like it was handed over to Austin Rover Motorsport. The latter decided to badge it as an MG, and add the white roof reminiscent of the 1960s Coopers and Healeys.

I have two sets of those panels in my loft at present, and always wanted to put them back on one of the prototypes, or alternatively build a replica based on one of the later Clubman bodyshells. One day maybe...

...back on topic!

1984 programme cover and flyer...

1985 programme cover and flyer...

Old 13 Feb 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2396824)   #22
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If i remember correctly the first rallysprint at Doony was earlier than 83. Can someone jog my memory as I'm sure it wasn't restricted to just leyland cars? I may be wrong about that though.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2396884)   #23
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
I'm not sure off the top of my head at the moment 'paddy', you may well be right. We'll have to do a little more searching.

However, I do know that the 1982 Pace Petroleum Rallysprint was at Esgair Daffyd in Wales - that event wasn't sponsored by Austin Rover though.

I think that year, and the earlier ones, were only open to rally drivers though - the F1 drivers came later. The rally drivers even used their own cars as well - if I remember right Pond was in a Rover, McRae in a Chevette, and then there was a Stratos, Escort, etc.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2396965)   #24
KA
Veteran

A quick Google search suggests rallysprints ran at Donington in 1978 and 80. Both featured F1 and rally drivers AFAIK, and used a variety of rallycars. The 1978 event, Texaco-backed, seems to have been won by Andy Dawson in the Chequered Flag Stratos. The race element of this one was done in Fiestas and won by John Watson. The lineup included John Watson, Jody Scheckter, Patrick Depailler, Alan Jones, Patrick Tambay, Russell Brookes, Bjorn Waldegaard, Ari Vatanen, Andy Dawson and Brian Nelson, and rally cars used included a TR8, Stratos, Escort and Mazda.

1980 seems to have been won by Tony Pond in a TR8- not sure about the race part of the event, but again a variety of rallycars featured- TR8 Stratos, Escort, Sunbeam Lotus, Saab Turbo. Not surprising the rally guys won when they were presumably using familiar cars on the rally stage elelment....

The Pace Rallysprint at Esgair Dafydd- wasn't that the 'rally' debut for the Rover?
Old 13 Feb 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2396971)   #25
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
The Pace Rallysprint at Esgair Dafydd- wasn't that the 'rally' debut for the Rover?
It was indeed KA - originally the Unipart sponsored 'GJW' that went on to become the Golden Wonder sponsored 'OOC'.