Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Closed Thread

Old 5 Apr 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2433668)   #1
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Posting youtube videos

Is it not possible to post youtube videos within threads in this forum?
other vbulletin forum sites I frequent have this featured activated....just wondering. (searched this subforum and the FAQ's but couldn't see any guidance)

Thanks.
Old 5 Apr 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2434217)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Why bother when we just post the link ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Apr 2009, 20:38 (Ref:2434577)   #3
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've no problem with people posting links where it's relevant, same was as links to external websites. However, if the whole point of the post is "Hey, check out this cool vid" then most likely the post will be removed.

http://tentenths.com/forum/faq.php?f..._rules_content
Old 5 Apr 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2434645)   #4
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Why bother when we just post the link ?
why bother? well I only asked because it's faster, easier and better for other people to view. We do it for images. It makes for a better forum experience.

You dont have to open a new tab or window, you view it within the forum page, you can see the title of the video, a still image of it, the length of the video and the rating. You can instantly decide if you wish to view it or not.

here is a random screenshot of a youtube video from anther forum (not motor rcaing - just an example)

MagnetON: I was asking about this advanced links, I know about the guideline on links, I was wondering the policy or thoughts on the embedded video links?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2434676)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Could there be a copyright issue in it, though?

If you give a link to something showing material which breaches copyright, well, Ten-Tenths hasn't done anything. The site which the link is to has commited the act.

If you embed it in the forum, would that mean Ten-Tenths would be considered to be hosting the copyrighted material?

I don't know the details of these things regarding the internet, but just a thought.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 07:52 (Ref:2434831)   #6
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also embedding video like that can make the forum take an age to load. Not much of a consideration these days, but people still on narrow connections (and there are quite a few) will suffer when opening these pages.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2434961)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I hope I am not alone in saying that personally I wouldn't want to post videos in this forum. We have our YouTube thread in parc ferme that we can virtually post anything within reason and I don't see any need to alter it.
Although I maybe in advanced years, anybody that knows me knows that I am not an old "fuddy duddy"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Apr 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2434981)   #8
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaRobster View Post
Also embedding video like that can make the forum take an age to load. Not much of a consideration these days, but people still on narrow connections (and there are quite a few) will suffer when opening these pages.
That would be my concern, although would the page take any longer to load than an existing thread with images embedded?

IIRC, when a video is embedded, the actual video itself (and hence the hosting server) is not included in the page load.

The video only loads when the viewer clicks the video, which then streams from the hosting site. In this setup, tenths have not hosted the video and so would be exempt from breaches of copyright etc.

I do agree though that any video link should only be used to add content to an existing discussion, or maybe to validate a point.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2434998)   #9
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I hope I am not alone in saying that personally I wouldn't want to post videos in this forum. We have our YouTube thread in parc ferme that we can virtually post anything within reason and I don't see any need to alter it.
Although I maybe in advanced years, anybody that knows me knows that I am not an old "fuddy duddy"
I'm with Gordon.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2435002)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That would be my concern, although would the page take any longer to load than an existing thread with images embedded?

IIRC, when a video is embedded, the actual video itself (and hence the hosting server) is not included in the page load.
From what I've seen, there is a load operation associated with the video, to produce the opening frame of the video, the associated Flash player, and the other details.

I know a lot of Tenths users read the site at work, many places have YouTube (etc.) on their content filterning list, so it may cause even slower loading times for these users.

Quote:
The video only loads when the viewer clicks the video, which then streams from the hosting site. In this setup, tenths have not hosted the video and so would be exempt from breaches of copyright etc.
This is correct, although there's always a perception that when an image or video appears on a site that it's hosted there and thus leads to us getting complaints about usage!

Quote:
I do agree though that any video link should only be used to add content to an existing discussion, or maybe to validate a point.
and I'm happy enough that simply having a link to any relevant video rather than embedding is the right way to do it for now.
Closed Thread