Another great has passed away.

hope there's no more this year, it's been terrible for the hillclimbing family
Old 14 Oct 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2561278)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sad news. He was known to many motorsport enthusiasts even if they weren't into hillclimbing.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2561282)   #3
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad indeed.

RIP.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2561354)   #4
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Wow. It's rare that the term "Legend of the sport" gets used correctly. It's difficult to overstate how much Roy will be missed. RIP
Old 14 Oct 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2561355)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
How sad. My uncle used to take me to Hillclimbs when i was ickle and Roy Lane was 'THE MAN' on the scene at the time.

RIP
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2561416)   #6
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good Grief.
Just when will this all stop.

Fantastic competitor, great bloke, and always had time for me to chat about the cars I was hillclimbing.

He suffered for a very long time after such a spell in the sport.

THE top hillclimber.

I had the fortune to be on startline marshal at a very wet Loton and his car control of the big Judd was sublime and miles ahead of the others. Skilled indeed.

What a shock.

Peace be with him now.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2561538)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uncle Roy to all of us in the hillclimbing fraternity. A fantastic racer, the epitome of speed and precision, he was my hero when I first started spectating. Later, through the marshalling, I got to know him and was overjoyed that with Roy you could ignore the usual rule of 'never meet your heros in case you're disappointed'. He proved to be a hero in personality as well - charming, friendly, always approachable and often a source of a great quote. In fact one of my most memorable moments involved both Roy and Bob Dayson, ironically.

At a sporting trial a couple of years ago, Bob was competing, Roy spectating. Bob's exhaust had broken and was making a right racket, and as he ascended my hill I congratulated him on the day's noisiest climb.

"You can hear the talent for miles", said Bob, to which Roy replied in a flash "No, Bob, your exhaust is drowning it out!"

A remarkable man in every way, if there is a heaven you can be sure Roy got there quickest.

Condolences to Betty and all of the family, enjoy your stay in the top paddock, Roy.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2561539)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

RIP a TRUE gentleman.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2561879)   #9
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am so shocked and saddened to read that Roy has died, and so close to Bob Dayson's passing away. How devastating for the hillclimb and sporting car trial fraternities to lose two such popular characters. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and friends.
Old 15 Oct 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2561900)   #10
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy was a friend of a friend who used to help prepare cars for him and on his day he was unbeatable on the hills, I was shocked and saddened at his passing, he will be much missed.

Bladders..................
Old 15 Oct 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2562150)   #11
euromarshal
Rookie

euromarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP
Old 15 Oct 2009, 20:01 (Ref:2562232)   #12
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roy was also a regular at MAC Race meetings some years ago. His single seaters managed an odd win or two in Formula Libre races. A great bloke who will be missed.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 13:50 (Ref:2562721)   #13
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funeral of Roy Lane

From Martyn Griffiths

At the request of the Lane family there will be a private funeral for Roy during the week commencing 19th October.

There will be a service of celebration of his life on Tuesday 10 November 2009 at 12 o’clock at St. Mary’s Church in Warwick when all are welcome.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2562754)   #14
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Once again, thanks for the message Ed. Once again, I'm sure hillclimbers will make their feelings known by force of numbers at this event.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2563341)   #15
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shame, I saw him many times at Shelsley & Loton.

True Legend of Hillclimbing.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2570955)   #16
mallockman24
Rookie

mallockman24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy Lane and Bob Dayson

What a joy to see them both at Shelsley. Conversation with Roy punctuated with breaks as he concentrated on the next 'big banger' leaving the line, always totally immersed in the technicalities of the search for perfection. Shouted greetings with Bob across a crowded paddock and to my eternal regret his having to leave before we could put the world to rights. Charming, witty, self effacing, I hope he has taken his tool box as I'm sure he will find something that he requires fixing in his new garage. Each a star in their own way, I am honored to have known them.