Old 17 Jan 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2614623)   #1
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stefan and Campos illegal?

Hey guys,

Just a quick thought that I've had concerning these new teams. We know for 2010 that ALL teams have to BUILD their cars (which has had a bad effect on STR as they have to build a car for the first time) but this leads me to my query. Surely Stefan GP and Campos are not complying to the rules with this?

Stefan GP have reportedly bought the Toyota 2010 car, so they haven't built their own car....
Campos are having their's built by Dallara....

Whata re your thoughts on this? I certainly don't think Stefan are legal if it's the Toyota cars because Toyota have built them and (most likely) sold them to Stefan.

Last edited by Jamesy-18; 17 Jan 2010 at 12:49.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2614633)   #2
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'll be the case that Stefan GP will have purchase the IP of the Toyota '10 designs, not any physical cars - so they'll probably be alright.

As for Campos...its possible the F1 entry is some other legal entity that includes Campos and Dallara, so they're both under the same 'umbrella' if you will.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2614641)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All they need to do is own the IP, if I remember correctly. My issue with STR is a different one (owning two teams).
Old 17 Jan 2010, 13:16 (Ref:2614650)   #4
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Campos are legal as they have subcontracted the design and construction of the car to Dallara.

If Dallara were offering the car as a customer chassis for any team to buy, then that would be illegal.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 17 Jan 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2614656)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Aren't Lola doing that with their design?
Old 17 Jan 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2614663)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as you own the IP, you can get anyone to build it for you. Toyota will be building and developing the Stefan but if Stefan own the rights, that's fine. Same for Campos, same for Lola if they want to flog theirs

The problem for Larrousse back in the early 1990s (1990, I think) when they lost their prize money was that they didn't own the IP
Old 17 Jan 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2614673)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post

Stefan GP have reportedly bought the Toyota 2010 car, so they haven't built their own car....
Campos are having their's built by Dallara....
Would that not have made the Brawn car illegal for 09 in that case?

Selby
Old 17 Jan 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2614718)   #8
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Basically the IP for a car can be bought and sold freely but only as long as one pair of hands has a hold of it at any one time. And just as Selby mentioned, if you applied your logic to brawn in '09 then they would be illegal, as would the up coming Mercedes and Sauber.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2614746)   #9
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Would that not have made the Brawn car illegal for 09 in that case?

Selby
No, because this particular rule wasn't enforced in 2009! If it was, how come Toro Rosso was allowed to race?
Old 17 Jan 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2614749)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
No, because this particular rule wasn't enforced in 2009! If it was, how come Toro Rosso was allowed to race?
STR were given special dispensation by the FIA to use the RedBull chassis to the end of 2009.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2614751)   #11
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The car itself was, as explained, a development version of Red Bull Racing's RB3. The Red Bull RB3 was designed by Adrian Newey, who earned a reputation as one of the most successful F1 designers with Championship-winning cars at both Williams and McLaren. In order for Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso to use the chassis, Newey was employed by 'new' consortium named Red Bull Technology. This provided a loop-hole for STR around the prohibition of chassis sharing, as both teams were legally using a car developed by an 'independent' third party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toro_Rosso_STR2
Old 17 Jan 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2614761)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The simple fact is that STR will not be able to use RedBulls 2010 chassis regardless of where it is made.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2615113)   #13
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The simple fact is that STR will not be able to use RedBulls 2010 chassis regardless of where it is made.
I can't wait to see how they get on with it. They obviously can't unlearn the technical data of the last few years so it will be interesting to see how they develop from last years car.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2615121)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F. View Post
I can't wait to see how they get on with it. They obviously can't unlearn the technical data of the last few years so it will be interesting to see how they develop from last years car.
Same thing, but just a bit longer.
Old 19 Jan 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2615902)   #15
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is Stefan definitely on the grid, or did I miss something?
Old 19 Jan 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2615908)   #16
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Same thing, but just a bit longer.

Stefan are definitely not on the grid. Not this year anyway.
Old 21 Jan 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2617003)   #17
AJLav
Rookie

United States
Montgomery, AL, USA
AJLav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The easy way to remember this is: If one team is running a car, another team can't.

RB got around this in the past with RB Technologies owning the car and "selling it to RB and STR. The new rules for 2010 and beyond close that possibility, thus STR will Design/build their own car and RB Tech will design and build the RB car.

Ferrari recently wanted to let another team run an additional Ferrari Chassis. FOTA or the FIA said no. (Ferrari have in the past lent knowledge and in some cases, parts/designs of cars to Sauber...)

Brawn got around this because they bought the rights to the Team and Cars for that 1 British Pound.... Ross then sold the rights and the cars to Mercedes for a little bit more.

As for who builds the car VS. legal/illegal, it is who owns the rights to the design, not who builds it that determines if it is legal or not. This is done in other forms of racing as well as F1. Smaller teams cannot afford the manufacturing equipment to build some of their parts and peices or in some instances, the whole car. (USF1 is having some of its peices built by others for time constraints and Crawford Composites is making the floor for the Type 1 in its larger Autoclave.)

Trivia: Dallara built the Audi R8 & R10 for the Factory. Audi Designed the cars. Later Audi took over all manufacturing of the R15. Audi owns the designs and the cars,not Dallara.
Old 24 Jan 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2618334)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F. View Post

Stefan are definitely not on the grid. Not this year anyway.
What if Campos Meta 1 or US F1 don't make it?
Old 25 Jan 2010, 09:09 (Ref:2618970)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Bernie seemed perfectly happy with the concept of having 20 cars.

Then again, he also seemed happy with the concept of medal system, and short cuts.

Selby
Old 25 Jan 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2619081)   #20
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
What if Campos Meta 1 or US F1 don't make it?
I don't think it will matter to be honest. I'd be very surprised if the door was re-opened at this stage. But don't get me wrong, I would love to see it happen, any new team is a bonus.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 03:33 (Ref:2622120)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLav View Post
Ferrari recently wanted to let another team run an additional Ferrari Chassis. FOTA or the FIA said no.
More like begged:

Quote:
New small teams like USF1 should be given the opportunity to use a customer chassis, Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said on Thursday.
I agree with Di Montezemolo. When McLaren-Mercedes (not sure which of both) approached Force India, I thought that there could be a chance that all works teams would have a secondary team (Red Bull / Toro Rosso, Honda / Super Aguri), which would use old chassis and engines, and perhaps even take part of a separate teams' championship to keep interest in the backfield. It's bad the F1 didn't head that way.
Old 2 Feb 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2625308)   #22
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to wonder about the 'technical partnership' Force India have. I am sure they work hard but advanced very quickly when McLaren stepped in.
Old 5 Feb 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2627198)   #23
nea
Racer

England
Saltaire, UK
nea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, we'll see when the new Force India is launched. I would suspect that it is mainly gearbox/rear suspension that the Technical Partnership will be aiding with, simply because it will be mated to the same Merc engine.