Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Jun 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2889999)   #1
RoeDent
Racer

Wales
Wales
RoeDent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chef Le Mans - Favourite time?

I highly suspect this has been done before, but I'd like to know: What is your favourite time period of the 24 Hours of Le Mans? Is it the start of the race? Dusk? Dawn the following morning?
Old 2 Jun 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2890015)   #2
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeDent View Post
I highly suspect this has been done before, but I'd like to know: What is your favourite time period of the 24 Hours of Le Mans? Is it the start of the race? Dusk? Dawn the following morning?
Mine is the first few hours. After a year of waiting (or five year as it happens to be now) , I position myself on the sandwall in the woods from Mulsanne to Indianapolis, with a coolbox standing close , one ear with Radio Le Mans, one ear with cars rumbling by (or whispering by).
And after that, it even gets better!

The moment is almost there!

Vincent
Old 2 Jun 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2890022)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Night till dawn ..... when the battle reveals itself with the damage and dirt from the night , bits of tape and a bent panels ..... brilliant !!!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2890035)   #4
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Arriving at the track after the long wait from previous years race. Always kinda feels like coming home again!
Old 2 Jun 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2890221)   #5
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I've long had a soft spot for when the "Grand Prix of Le Mans" really takes hold in late afternoon - the heat's starting to go out of the day, the light gets magical, and you can start to really unpick what's happened since the start. Generally like watching that from the La Chapelle Esses where you get a great view out across the valley.

Coming up fast though is the bit between 2300 and 0200 - the crowds thin out, the race starts to shake out, and sat down right on Tertre Rouge you can really see the cars start to work - it's always an effort to tear myself away, and indeed in 2008 made it all the way through to dawn there (getting pretty cold and wet in the process, but good company, conversation, and the occasional beer helped).

That said there's plenty of other moments across the weekend, but maybe better posted in the goosebumps thread.

An odd contender - I've never been one for lingering after the race. I figure it's like the end of Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix", where there's nothing more desolate than an empty race track. Getting packed up and on the road back to nice hotel (with prospect of big hot shower and a very good meal), reflecting on what's (hopefully) been a superb race, and unwinding is actually the best way of realising that a long weekend at Le Mans is one of the best ways of spending time and mentally committing yourself to coming again next year.
Old 2 Jun 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2890231)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Dawn for me always wake up after a few hours sleep and the walk on my own over to the race track at TR watch a little in the pitch dark and then watch the sun rise slowly as the cars pound around the circuit, few people around and i enjoy the solitude for an hour or so.
Once it is light around 5.00 head back and get a few more hours sleep.
done that now for about 15 years it has become a tradition for me
Old 2 Jun 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2890282)   #7
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Dawn for me always wake up after a few hours sleep and the walk on my own over to the race track at TR watch a little in the pitch dark and then watch the sun rise slowly as the cars pound around the circuit, few people around and i enjoy the solitude for an hour or so.
Once it is light around 5.00 head back and get a few more hours sleep.
done that now for about 15 years it has become a tradition for me
I like the sound of that ! We camped at Maison Blanche one year and I found myself doing the same thing.

It always amazes me just how quickly the terracing opposte the pits starts to thin out after just an hour or so of the race. For me this period is the best, watching the race settle down and the respective class battles emerging.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 05:12 (Ref:2890346)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The hour before and after dawn. I usually grab a mug of coffee and take me seat up onto the bank and sit their quietly reflecting on the race so far and the trip as a whole and realise the race in only just over half way through.
Old 3 Jun 2011, 05:35 (Ref:2890349)   #9
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
For me it's that magic moment between 3pm Saturday and 3pm Sunday.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
An odd contender - I've never been one for lingering after the race. I figure it's like the end of Frankenheimer's "Grand Prix", where there's nothing more desolate than an empty race track. .
I've been to LM a couple of times in summer, well away from mid-June and to drive round the circuit then is quite something. Everyone's going about their normal business, the pits straight is deserted, but in your mind you can see the crowds, hear the cars, smell the race - magic!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 05:40 (Ref:2890350)   #10
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives! View Post
I like the sound of that ! We camped at Maison Blanche one year and I found myself doing the same thing.
And that early morning moment where we camp now is as good! A little mist on the river burning off, that first cup of coffee of the day, buying the still-warm croissants from the bakery and that church clock striking twice - just as good in its own way. Or are you never awake that soon?!
Old 3 Jun 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2890664)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Although dawn is the best for me, the moment that I see the cars coming under the dunlop bridge just after 3.00pm on Saturday is also up there
Old 4 Jun 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2890935)   #12
quatermass
Rookie

quatermass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1988 Jaguar victory

Great race and a great result
Old 4 Jun 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2891021)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The night.

All of it.

That's why I think that sleeping through any part of it is such sacrilege.....
Old 4 Jun 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2891140)   #14
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
2012!
Old 5 Jun 2011, 08:37 (Ref:2891353)   #15
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
And that early morning moment where we camp now is as good! A little mist on the river burning off, that first cup of coffee of the day, buying the still-warm croissants from the bakery and that church clock striking twice - just as good in its own way. Or are you never awake that soon?!
Those first church bells are my wake up call ! We have a busy schedule this year, so we plan to try to retire earlier in the evenings........although that probably won't happen though
Old 5 Jun 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2891366)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
retire early? what time do you call early must see a good eight hours before even thinking about sleep
Old 5 Jun 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2891414)   #17
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seeing the iconic,mystic,infamous,quite incomparable Mulsanne Straight for the very first time in 1982.

Arriving on the Monday before the race, I remember joining the circuit at the exit from Terte Rouge and there it was, stretching out before my very own eyes,The Shute.The Mount Everest,The Eiger the K2 of motorsport.

As far as I could see, lined left and right with Armco barrier which appeared to come together at some point on the distant, ever moving horizon.No chicanes, just 3 miles of virtually dead straight,mostly tree lined road.I knew some of the Group C cars were going to hit 250mph down here and that thought excited me!

Two thirds of the way down and we arrived at the Kink.Barely noticable in a road car, at 250mph, awesome!On the Saturday night we hid in the Golf Club trees, right next to the Armco, and watched as the cars approached and flew past.You could hear the air buffeting the cars even before they came into view - never seen anything like it before or since.
Old 6 Jun 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2892339)   #18
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
retire early? what time do you call early must see a good eight hours before even thinking about sleep
No not race day, this is Weds, Thurs and Friday
Old 6 Jun 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2892358)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives! View Post
No not race day, this is Weds, Thurs and Friday
Oh party nights, usual sit around the camp until quite late, that way i am tired enough to sleep or drunk enough
Old 6 Jun 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2892414)   #20
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Quote:
Oh party nights, usual sit around the camp until quite late, that way i am tired enough to sleep or drunk enough
That's it exactly . At the site we are on there is a little village bar that will stay open until you leave and that can be very dangerous, I must stay away from that evil place until Sunday night !
Old 7 Jun 2011, 11:13 (Ref:2892721)   #21
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
waking up in the morning and trying to figure out which cars are missing.
Old 7 Jun 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2893015)   #22
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Wednesday evening at 1900, sat opposite the pit exit. First reminder for about a year, for me anyway, of 55 cars let loose....

Other times come under the Goosebumps thread, from what I can remember