Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 7 May 2013, 22:31 (Ref:3244132)   #1
Roy4
Rookie

Australia
Roy4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Design Competition

Since the My Tracks Design forum is not getting much posts I thought it would be good to have a track designing competition. I saw this on other forum and thought it would be cool to post here.

Here are the rules:
1. To enter simply post a direct link to your track on Gmap or Google Maps.
2. One track per user.
3. Dealine will be set one week after contest starts.
4. Tracks are based on themes. Thw winner for each round will decide on his own theme for the next round. Winners are decided by votes from users.

The first round will you'll be designing a track in my hometown, Melbourne.

The Rules:
- The track must be in the Melbourne CBD.
- The track must be between 3.0 and 7.5km.
- You may not use Albert Park.
Old 7 May 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3244133)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What does CBD mean, and is there a map defining this area?

Anyway here is a quick something, hopefully it fits within the declared area...

I've borrowed and added to RAAF Williams at Point Cook

Running Clockwise for 6.791km or 4.24 miles

Click image for larger version

Name:	Point Cook Side By Siide.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	39842 Click image for larger version

Name:	Point Cook Merge.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	39843

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 8 May 2013 at 00:28.
Old 8 May 2013, 05:42 (Ref:3244182)   #3
Roy4
Rookie

Australia
CBD Means Central Business District.

There is no map defining the area but it f you search Melbourne in Google Maps and zoom out you get a border around the area of Melbourne and that is basically the area you are allowed to use except for Albert Park.

SBF, your track at RAAF Williams at Point Cook is within the declared area because Point Cook is in the boundaries of Melbourne on Google Maps.
Old 9 May 2013, 01:47 (Ref:3244610)   #4
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Working on a street circuit - my specialty.
Old 9 May 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3245029)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5925385

It's a 3.5 mile, clockwise-running street circuit just outside of Downtown Melbourne meant for V8 Supercars, but can host other events as well. The start/finish line is on Swan Street/Olympic Boulevard. The wide Swan Street Bridge allows cars coming out of the pits to merge safely with cars traveling at a high rate of speed on the track (entering turn 1 is the speed trap location and the fastest part of the track). Turn 1 is a quick right hander, and although it is quite wide, it is very easy to overshoot and crash in a heavy V8 Supercar or undershoot and lose lots of time going into the much narrower carousel on Linlithgow Avenue. As the track widens out, the cars will take a slight detour, taking the second exit closest to Southbank Boulevard. The V8s will then put the pedal to the medal and roar back through Lithlingow due south and then slam on the brakes into a sharp right hander. That corner feeds out into a small kink and then a straight on St. Kilda Road, which is interrupted by a small chicane that leads onto a second lane of St. Kilda. This leads onto one of the most bizarre parts of the racetrack... a run down on St. Kilda road where drivers have a choice - stay off the tram tracks or get on the tram tracks to try to make a pass. Unfortunately, a tram station separates the two wide lanes, so drivers will have to pull out to avoid running into an ever-closing wall... a challenging section to say the least.

Then comes a section that remarkably resembles the Adelaide Street Circuit. The tight right hander turning past Federation Square is almost identical to Turn 7 at Adelaide. Drivers are allowed to run over the kerbing and onto the tram tracks out of Turn 7, but eventually the walls will close in on you! Then there is a slight kink onto Wellington Parade South that is almost identical to Adelaide turn 9. Then there's another right hander, akin to Turn 11, Dequetteville Hairpin at Adelaide, that turns onto Jolimont, then a left sweep past the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Club) on Brunton Avenue, which sweeps widely left once more. The brakes will then screech while the drivers are piling on the pressure, braking into Punt Road. The Brunton-Punt brake zone is the hardest braking zone on the track, as it is a tight corner and the Brunton Straight is the 2nd fastest part of the track. The far inside onto Punt is the pit lane entrance. Cars will be slowed to 40 MPH on the run down to Olympic Boulevard. Meanwhile, cars on track will make a short run on Punt Road, then make a wide, right hand turn onto the front straight on Swan Street. The Olympic Boulevard, which is right of Swan Street, will be the pit lane area.

---

I was surprised how long this track ended up being. It seemed only like it would reach 2.5, and certainly nothing over 2.5, but I was obviously mistaken. It's a bit long for a street circuit but only .3 miles longer than Albert Park so it could probably fit in just fine on any calendar.

Old 11 May 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3245597)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
What does CBD mean, and is there a map defining this area?

Anyway here is a quick something, hopefully it fits within the declared area...

I've borrowed and added to RAAF Williams at Point Cook

Running Clockwise for 6.791km or 4.24 miles

Attachment 39842 Attachment 39843
Looking at the circuit shape, I get a Monterrey Mexico Champ Car track feel, and I find that to be pretty interesting conceptually. It's just a feeling, though, having not looked at the map of that circuit for years.
Old 14 May 2013, 01:45 (Ref:3247051)   #7
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Anyone interested in putting down a vote?
Old 14 May 2013, 05:35 (Ref:3247116)   #8
Roy4
Rookie

Australia
If no one decides to vote then I get to pick who wins this round. The winner of this round will decide the theme for the next round.
Old 18 May 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3249583)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
It's been over a week - who wins? Me or SBF?
Old 18 May 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3249598)   #10
Roy4
Rookie

Australia
The winner for this round is Beetle because he was able to use the streets of Melbounre instead of an airfied. I thought the layout of his track was good.

Beetle gets to choose the theme for the next round.
Old 18 May 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3249618)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The rules didn't say anything about streets. It just said a circuit with that area.

Lets see what Beetle comes up with.
Old 19 May 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3249886)   #12
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
The second round theme will be Olympic Parks. More specifically, you are only allowed to use the Olympic Parks from the following games...

- 2012 (London)
- 2008 (Beijing)
- 2006 (Turin)
- 2004 (Athens)
- 2002 (Salt Lake City)
- 2000 (Sydney)
- 1998 (Nagano)
- 1996 (Atlanta)
- 1992 (Barcelona)
- 1988 (Calgary)
- 1988 (Seoul)
- 1972 (Munich)

The track must be between 2.5 - 4 miles (4.02 - 6.43 km) and able to host international-level Grand Prix racing. Good luck!
Old 21 May 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3251140)   #13
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's my entry for this. Based in Athens, 2.60mi, clockwise.

I also have a second entry which is outside the rules. It is based in my hometown of Glasgow which is hosting the Commonwealth Games next year. I've based the track around Celtic Park and the athletes' village, which is still under construction. 2.61mi, clockwise

Both of these tracks would need widening in places.
Attached Thumbnails
AthensGP.jpg   glasgow2014.jpg  
Old 22 May 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3251699)   #14
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Nice one, Speeding Tortoise. Only a couple more days, folks...
Old 22 May 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3251874)   #15
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Google earth has been acting up for me. It's not helping that I have exams. Still, I had a crack at Barcelona, because it has the benefit of having its Olympic park built right next to the former Grand Prix circuit in and mostly around Parc Monjuïc. Then again, it's not called a Mont for nothing as I should know, and there's hardly any straights on it, so it's tough creating a good pit straight and paddock.
Anyway, this is what I've made of it. I decided to axe the top half of old Montjuïc because of the turns after the top straight which are much to fast and allow no opportunity to make run off.and add a section around the Olympic park to replace it. The paddock is built on a hill overlooking the front straight which is pretty much the only flat space available.
Attached Thumbnails
Montjuïc.jpg  
Old 23 May 2013, 00:05 (Ref:3251921)   #16
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
Google earth has been acting up for me. It's not helping that I have exams. Still, I had a crack at Barcelona, because it has the benefit of having its Olympic park built right next to the former Grand Prix circuit in and mostly around Parc Monjuïc. Then again, it's not called a Mont for nothing as I should know, and there's hardly any straights on it, so it's tough creating a good pit straight and paddock.
Anyway, this is what I've made of it. I decided to axe the top half of old Montjuïc because of the turns after the top straight which are much to fast and allow no opportunity to make run off.and add a section around the Olympic park to replace it. The paddock is built on a hill overlooking the front straight which is pretty much the only flat space available.
You are the third person (as far as I know of) to use Montjuic and the Barcelona Olympic Park. I have as well, and I know what you are talking about - finding a wide, long straight and suitable paddock area is a difficult task. Nice job!

BTW, anyone preparing to enter - I'd suggest the Beijing Olympic Green or London Olympic Park for designing. They have the widest roads, most paddock space, and longest straights. I made a 3.55 mile track on the London Olympic Park which worked reasonably well - I'll post it after I declare a winner. BTW, I have to study for exams, too.

Here's some pictures of the Olympic Parks to peak your interest...

Old 24 May 2013, 14:06 (Ref:3252660)   #17
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Only 2 more days left, folks!
Old 25 May 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3253129)   #18
Juuti
Rookie

Juuti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is my track located at the Sydney Olympic Park. It is 2,73 miles long and it will be counter-clockwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Sydney track.jpg  
Old 25 May 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3253170)   #19
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last couple of turns look exactly like Monaco in reverse. Anyway, seems like it would be a good track.
Old 26 May 2013, 01:36 (Ref:3253241)   #20
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juuti View Post
Here is my track located at the Sydney Olympic Park. It is 2,73 miles long and it will be counter-clockwise.
Wow... spectacular! You are the winner of the second round! And thanks for joining the forum!

Pick a theme for the next round, please.
Old 26 May 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3253358)   #21
Juuti
Rookie

Juuti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since it's Monaco GP this weekend, the next rounds track should be located by the sea. The track can a street circuit or a permanent one or it can use some parts that are permanent (like Singapore).

The track should be atleast 2,5 miles long and you can't use a location where a track already exists.
Old 27 May 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3254031)   #22
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juuti View Post
Since it's Monaco GP this weekend, the next rounds track should be located by the sea. The track can a street circuit or a permanent one or it can use some parts that are permanent (like Singapore).

The track should be atleast 2,5 miles long and you can't use a location where a track already exists.
This shall be interesting! A track is on the way...
Old 28 May 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3254751)   #23
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mostly permanent track in the city of Inverness, Scotland. GP Track 3.55mi Permanent Track 2.65mi Both Clockwise No elevation
Attached Thumbnails
inverness1.jpg   inverness2.jpg   inverness3.jpg  

Old 28 May 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3254761)   #24
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Well done on finding a bit of Scottish coastline that hasn't a golf course or steep cliffs.

I like the addition around the Stadium, and with the Kessock bridge in the background you could almost get circuit a real version of my faked up avatar
Attached Thumbnails
Kessock.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 28 May 2013 at 22:53.
Old 29 May 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3255242)   #25
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not been very good at these, choosing a location and building a circuit around that location, but I thought I'd give it a try.

This circuit is located at Tonfanau, an abandoned army base on the coast of Mid-Wales. The existing (heavily damaged) roads were well positioned to form a cosy pit/paddock area but would need a fair bit of widening. Still, this is a narrow club circuit, running anti-clockwise, with a maximum width of around 10m. It is located right next to a train station (see the red mark) and there is plenty of room for spectators to park behind the paddock.

Unfortunately, It doesn't meet the minimum length requirement of 2.5 miles, coming in at only 1.7 miles, and to top it all off, literally a stones throw away is a 1 mile distorted oval-type circuit where motorbikes and sidecars are raced regularly, so it doesn't meet that criteria either!

So, I don't expect this to win, but I still really liked the circuit and thought I would share. Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
tonfanau base.jpg   tonfanau circuit new.jpg   tonfanau circuit new pits.jpg