Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Dec 2001, 13:20 (Ref:182062)   #1
gallop
Rookie

gallop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A question about Jean Alesi

Hi everybody

so Jean has left F1 and will be driving in the DTM series next year.
But I have heard that this won't be his first time driving sportscars, and that he has, in fact, driven a Ferrari (other than in F1 races). Does anybody know anything about this? I'd be interested to know where and when this happened.

regards

Neil Gallop
Old 4 Dec 2001, 21:20 (Ref:182298)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd suggest it was somewhere very quiet... I've never heard of it, not that this means it didn't happen, and these days F1 drivers generally aren't allowed to drive other categories.

Which is a shame, a real shame.... till the seventies it was commonplace and the better drivers got to show their wares more often... and not only that, lesser drivers had a chance to knock them off occasionally too!

Anyone really know?
Old 4 Dec 2001, 22:02 (Ref:182313)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know about Ferraris, gallop, but Jean drove a Vern Schuppan Porsche 962 (No. 33, chassis 143) in the 1989 Le Mans 24 Hours. His co-drivers were Will Hoy and Dominic Dobson. The car was a brand new factory chassis. The team suffered brake problems in practice and also had a "porpoising" problem. The car was qualified 22nd by Alesi himself in a time of 3mins 27.79 seconds.

The car was running well in the top 10 after a good opening stint by Hoy. Unfortunately, a lot of time was lost for repairs when the car was clipped by Bob Wollek in the lead Joest Porsche, causing Dobson to go off at Arnage. (Bob was suitably apologetic!). The damage may have contributed to the final demise of the car when it caught fire, Dobson having to slide it to a halt along the armco on the run down towards Indianapolis. This was at about 8.45 p.m. Fortunately, Dobson escaped unhurt from the inferno. The car completed 69 laps.

I believe this was Jean's only outing in the 24 Hours and of course he has not been back since due to his F1 commitments.
Old 4 Dec 2001, 23:51 (Ref:182356)   #4
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean did do some sort of DTM or touring car race around his F3000 days because he said then the car was terrible and he would never race a touring car again .... Famous last words