Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Dec 2001, 06:12 (Ref:182835)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brock's Hand Waving

What was the deal with Brock waving his hand out the window when trying to pass a car in front. I've watched Lakeside '86 and he does it too Crosby and to Fury, and apparently he did it to Bowe at Calder as well in '86, and i suppose many other times. Anyone know why?
Old 6 Dec 2001, 07:47 (Ref:182846)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Because it makes his car go faster/make the car ahead pull over!

I think he also did it at Bathurst 1994...
Old 6 Dec 2001, 07:58 (Ref:182848)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gawd you go on with some bull**** Everyone in the know remembers it was Peter's way of re-energising the polariser!

Sheesh! Some people will never learn, will they?
Old 6 Dec 2001, 08:09 (Ref:182849)   #4
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 6 Dec 2001, 08:15 (Ref:182850)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll admit I never really liked Brock when he was competing (I think Wilko and his Dicky Johnson/Queenslander ******** had an impact on this small child ) but after he retired and I met him a few times, I like the bloke...

Saying that, my favourite paperback is "The Rise and Fall of Peter Brock"...classic stuff indeed...

I saw a new Slug book out the other week in town, I hope it contains more dirt
Old 10 Dec 2001, 03:10 (Ref:184158)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Slugs like dirt.

BTW Is a slug a homeless snail or a nudist?
Old 10 Dec 2001, 03:38 (Ref:184162)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slugs like Marlboro lights...

Was he not waving to get the flaggies to put the blue flags out?
Old 10 Dec 2001, 07:48 (Ref:184200)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Meh...well those days are finished, now that the blue flag is seldom used....
Old 10 Dec 2001, 07:59 (Ref:184202)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

How come? The rules haven't changed, have they?
Old 10 Dec 2001, 08:07 (Ref:184203)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

Yes - they changed the rules about 2 years ago for both blue and yellow flags. Basically once the blue has now been shown the car MUST let the other pass otherwise the idiots in race control give a stop go....

No need to state who's idea that was!
Old 10 Dec 2001, 08:15 (Ref:184204)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Garbage! So a flag marshal with poor depth perception can dictate the course of a race?
Old 10 Dec 2001, 08:31 (Ref:184207)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

garbage - yes. The flag marshall decide - no

He now gets TOLD when to put the flag out. Thus my comment about idiots in race control.
Old 10 Dec 2001, 08:40 (Ref:184213)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

This can't be right... they are now able to force the course of a race?
Old 10 Dec 2001, 09:13 (Ref:184218)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Ahhh stuff it - tried to cut and paste from the V8 Soup Car regs - so have t re-key - In Schedule B5 - Code of Driver Conduct:

1.2 If the driver who has been caught does not seem to be making full use of his rear view mirror, the flag marshal/s will give a warning by waving the blue flag to indicate that another driver wants to overtake. Any driver who does not take notice of the blue flag may be penalised by the Stewards.

and 1.4

Any obstructive manoeuvre, carried out by one or several drivers, either having common interests or not, is prohibited. The persistent driving abreast of several vehicles as well as a fan-shaped arrangement, is authorised only if there is not another vehicle trying to overtake, otherwise, the blud flag will be waved.

and then 3.4...

3.4.3 During a race: The flag will normally be shown to a Car about to be lapped and, when shown, the driver concerned must allow the following car to pass at the earliest opportunity.

These rules apply even in the situation when a leading car may have pitted and, even though faster than others, is a lap or more down.
Old 10 Dec 2001, 11:22 (Ref:184242)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
That is at the top end, but at the arse end of the sport, a fair few flaggies packed up and went home with some of the new regulations.

Basically speaking, the blue flag is only used in qualifying, and only when a car gets lapped in a race. And when you have 25 10 lap races in a day, whoever is on blues has it incredibly easy...

I always thought that the blue flag was a bit of a safety thing, you know, warning the car ahead that he is going to be run into...
Old 10 Dec 2001, 11:39 (Ref:184247)   #16
Ray Bell
Veteran

Speaking as one who waved or held the flags many a time, I would say that sometimes it was over-used... but not so much that it should virtually be banned.

In the case of a lapped car, yes, it is a safety thing.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 06:21 (Ref:184886)   #17
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Old Racey has it right. For example this year at Bathurst we were told to put out a blue flag to Morris at all points. That's 32 blue flags, folks.....

The rules have changed cause CAMS in their wisdom adopted FIA flag rules on an all over basis. That basically meant a goodbye to the Stationary Blue, goodbye to the Stationary yellow on its own, goodbye to the stationary white, and red and greens are now waved, not stationary.

Works fine in F1, but is patently ridiculous in Vic Championship races especially in things like Sports Sedans, where the speed differential is insane. When you have 6 litre Honda Preludes screaming up on 3 dicing HQ's and you cant give em a stationary blue to warn em, the possibility for carnage is quite large.

Hence in Victoria now, we've started going back to the old rules, even at V8 rounds. The drivers seem to appreciate it. Most of the other states are continuing with the FIA rules, though there are moves afoot to have the rules changed to allow stationary blues, yellows alone and whites re-written back.
Old 12 Dec 2001, 07:17 (Ref:184894)   #18
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Flaggie
Yes, Old Racey has it right.
Hey - less of the Old please - I'm still on the young side of 50 (Hey ray - can you help me here please? )
Old 12 Dec 2001, 10:57 (Ref:184939)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I cab sypathise blokes- im no longer a teenager come next year. What is the best way to hide grey hair?
Old 12 Dec 2001, 11:20 (Ref:184956)   #20
RaceTime
Veteran

Become a timekeeper or, if you want to go bald, become a race director (ever wondered why a certain race director doesn't like anyone taking his photo from above in recent years?)

And, if you play your cards right, you can have RaceTime to turn you even greyer when it ceases in the new year...
Old 12 Dec 2001, 14:00 (Ref:185006)   #21
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
I cab sypathise blokes- im no longer a teenager come next year. What is the best way to hide grey hair?
I wouldnt know, being 35 and having no grey..... hehehe
Old 13 Dec 2001, 03:47 (Ref:185314)   #22
Ray Bell
Veteran

Flaggie, my man... I stopped flagging when I was 26 (due to what's known in the motor racing journalism business as force majeure) - not that I wouldn't mind doing a bit if the circumstances arose....

But the fact is that your slight on those over forty (or fifty) was ill-received... I've been asked to help, and I will state in defence of we who've earned our grey hairs (do I have any?) that you'll learn (if you get that far) that we're not really old at all...

And I'm very pleased to hear that you're overriding this stupid ruling. The circumstances you describe are a very good example of how an intelligent flaggie uses his nut and shows discretion.

But waving the green and red? Crazy!

Last edited by Ray Bell; 13 Dec 2001 at 03:49.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 11:19 (Ref:185379)   #23
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceTime

And, if you play your cards right, you can have RaceTime to turn you even greyer when it ceases in the new year...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, say it isnt so, where am i going to get all the results from now???????????
Old 15 Dec 2001, 00:02 (Ref:186052)   #24
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read in the Rise And Fall Of Peter Brock that when ever foor used to be placed in front of Brock Bev would lean over it and wave Crystals above it before he could eat it just to make sure it was safe. Maybe just maybe he had some Crystals in his hand was waving it out the window to get the negative energy out of the race track.

By the way did anyone see Surprise Surprise on 9 when they played a trick on Brock. The best bit I thought was when the guy said there was an energy field coming out of the pod that landed on the property. I wonder would that have been Polarized Energy.
Old 17 Dec 2001, 04:38 (Ref:186778)   #25
Ray Bell
Veteran

Where is Dr Dowker now, anyway?