Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2002, 12:57 (Ref:282576)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which compounds is everyone using?

There was an interview with Ron Dennis after the qualifying and he said that the relative preformance between the tyres were as was expected. Not only the differnce between some of the cars, but also different team mates.

It was all a bit Ronspeak but I think he was talking about, not only the relative performance between Bridgestone and Michelin, but also the different compounds.

He was suggesting that Michael was on the harder compound and Rubens the softer. He also hinted that Montoya could be on a harder compound to Ralf (although the gap could easily be explained by Montoyas problems).

He migh talso have been hinting that the MacLarens are on teh harder tyres too.

It's all a bit unclear.

Do any of you know?????????????????????????
Old 11 May 2002, 14:33 (Ref:282627)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which compound is everyone using?

Firstly I apologise for the grammar in the title. It were bad.

I haven't found out yet! It strikes me that this is am important issue with respect to tomorrows race.

I feel that all these things could be correct.

I think Ferrari are quite likely to try two different tyre compounds with Rubens and Michael. They've done it before (heck, they've tried two different year's cars before!)

Montoya has run a harder compound to Ralf before too. At Magny-Cours last year. In that race it looked like it was working for him until he retired. He sacrificed grid position for a better race tyre. However the gap between Ralf and Montoya can be explained by Montoya's qualifying problems. It could be a bit of both.

I also think that McLaren could well be using the harder compound. They might be trying to repeat last year and run a very long first stint.

BUT this is all conjecture. We (I?) need facts!
Old 11 May 2002, 15:02 (Ref:282651)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I came on the 'net to try and find out the same question. It seems reasonable to assume that the two Williams were are on different compounds - they have covered their options before - but I'd be surprised if Ferrari felt the need to do the same. Ferrari seem to understand their car better than anyone, and they don't go on the back foot very often.

Great qual session - should be a good race.

Anyone actualy [i[know[/i] what the compound choices are?
Old 11 May 2002, 15:09 (Ref:282659)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too heard Ron saying that, but I haven't heard anything offcial from Ferrari, Williams or the tyre companies. Hopefully JPM is on the harder compound as that gives us JPM fans some hope for tomorrow not being a Schumacher/Ferrari affair.
Old 11 May 2002, 21:05 (Ref:282855)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I agree Glen, Ferrari don't need to start trying alternatives. However they very often put Rubens on a different strategy to Michael. To be fair, this was normally after qualifying and it was to make up for Rubens' lower grid slot.

Will they put Michael on a low fuel load to give him a chance to do smoething from his poor grid slot?

On the thread subject. Schumacher might have felt that Ferrari had a bigger advantage and that he could still make the front row even with the harder tyres. In the race he'll probably run till lap 598 before coming in.

But who knows?
Old 12 May 2002, 09:14 (Ref:283085)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
well, for a start, i was wrong in another thread regarding tyre choices, sorry for that, but apparently, jpm and tgf are on the harder compounds in comparison to their rspective team-mates, and i have it on good authority that the softer construction that rafe and rubens will be running may be too soft!
Old 12 May 2002, 09:39 (Ref:283107)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Both Williams had tyre problems this morning. Lots of concerned faces. Even Montoya didn't look his usual self (normally just gets on with it!)

The tyres did look bad.

So what Ron Dennis was saying (in his usual roundabout way) was right.

I think he was also saying that the McLarens were on teh hard too, so they might be more of a factor. How much more - who knows. I think Ben and John reckon that the McLarens are on the harder too.

The session was colder than the other ones. 16deg C at the end. If it warms up it might be better for the Michelin runners.
Old 12 May 2002, 09:42 (Ref:283111)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
i think this morning, the williams boys were running very used tyres, they seemed more concerned with cleaning up the dirty side of the track!
Old 12 May 2002, 09:45 (Ref:283116)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I saw that. It was something that Montoya did last year. To go effect - he lead after the first corner!
Old 12 May 2002, 10:08 (Ref:283129)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I don't know if it tells us much about the front of the grid but I found this on F1-live.com

It's Webber talking about which tyres he's going to use:

β€œIt's been a pretty tough weekend,” he said. β€œ We had quite a few issues with the balance of the car on the softer compound tyres we had been planning to run in qualifying and that carried on to today. We made the late decision to go into qualifying with the harder Michelin tyre, which will hopefully be a bit better for us in the race tomorrow. We made the decision with the race in mind, as it should provide us with a more consistent car in the race. We might have sacrificed a bit in qualifying but hopefully we will have the consistency in the race and will get rewarded for it.”
Old 12 May 2002, 10:29 (Ref:283134)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
hope he's right adam!
Old 12 May 2002, 16:07 (Ref:283676)   #12
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ferrari is going to be using the prison compound although the judge Mox Mosley will no doubt release them on bail!