Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:12 (Ref:309335)   #1
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tribute to the McLarens

It seems that the McLarens are able to keep pace together with the Williams and Ferrari finally...and from the looks of it we can expect them to be in the front more regularly i hope...it'll be good to have them back as the front runners.

Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:14 (Ref:309339)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
if Williams and especially BMW don't get their acts sorted out soon we may well see DC soon in 2nd position in the championship, and if Kimi's luck is taking an upward turn, McLaren fighting Williams for 2nd spot in the WCC!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:16 (Ref:309341)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite a turnaround from the Silver Arrows of late. The Mercedes seems to be gaining ever so slowly while the chassis has always been excellent.

It also helps when both drivers have confidence in their machinery. Forget Williams v Ferrari, this will soon be Ferrari ahead with Williams v McLaren.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:17 (Ref:309343)   #4
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Bout time too if you ask me... come on McLaren!
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:18 (Ref:309344)   #5
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least we can hope for close fights between them for the 2nd spot in the very near future.

not that i'm rootin for the Macs but i just want more action

Last edited by Jukebox; 10 Jun 2002 at 09:26.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 09:25 (Ref:309347)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
nobodies going to catch Ferrari are they, so, as much as i want to see JPM come second in the wdc (at least, but thats the best we can hope for this year) and williams second in the wcc, i want to see some action for him/them acheiving it! Hats off to Ferrari for making a brilliant car yet again, but it does make things a little "stagnent!". Ben Edwards made an interesting comment on SKY yesterday, about how, now that Mclaren and Williams are getting closer to Ferrari, it will also please Ferrari as they want to race to a win! (however, i think Ferrari will be glad only as they have such a healthy lead! )
Old 10 Jun 2002, 11:41 (Ref:309454)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so sure that the Mercedes engine is quite there yet. From watching the Mclarens it looked as if they were right on the ragged edge, I could only presume from running such low downforce to maintain straight line speed. Kimi in particular was locking up quite a bit. But that's where good drivers shine, in difficult situations. So kudos to both DC and Kimi, exceptional races for both of them. If it weren't for a fuel rig problem for Raikonnen we might have saw two Mac's on the podium.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 10 Jun 2002, 12:07 (Ref:309498)   #8
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disqualify and ban Ferrari for cheating the fans in Austria 2001 and 2002 and we might have a good fight for the title between the Great Juan and DC.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 12:11 (Ref:309503)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BBking, mate, that's ridiculous.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 12:12 (Ref:309505)   #10
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They cheated all those fans that follow so closely that they failed to notice F1 was a team sport.

Here's a good comment from DC at the Press Conference...
Quote:
it is more about the public being educated about what is allowed rather than anything the team should be doing. That's down, I guess, to the governing body to inform people what the rules are and for you all to inform the public what they are watching.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 12:52 (Ref:309594)   #11
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't need to be educated to know what you like. Most of the fans (including Ferrari and Schumacher fans) did not like or expected what happened in Austria. No education will change that. People follow F1 because they like it not because there is somebody teaching them to love it.

The team would get 16 points anyway.The team's chamipionship is won by adding both drivers points. The driver's championship is won by the driver. If not lets say that Ferrari has 2 driver's championships so far instead of saying that Schumacher has 2 drivers championships with Ferrari. Fair?
Old 10 Jun 2002, 13:01 (Ref:309614)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're too easy, BBK!

Of course they were silly, but it wasn't "cheating".

Schumacher could have pulled over in every race he was leading last year (and conceded first place to whoever was second) and still won the WDC comfortably.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 13:51 (Ref:309680)   #13
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Mclarens have improved big time. But I think most of the improvement has come from Mercedes. Both DC and Kimi were able to stretch their legs ahead of the Ferrari and the BMW on the straights. Thats pretty impressive, coming from an engine that was nowhere in Australia.

I think Williams may have enough to secure 2nd in the drivers and constructors championship however. But if Williams carry on like Spa 2001 and Canada 2002, then Mclaren may well get into 2nd place.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 14:13 (Ref:309697)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Time will tell.

The next races will be interesting if the McLarens keep this way.
Old 10 Jun 2002, 18:39 (Ref:309886)   #15
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was happy to see the result, at least as far as DC was concerned. Still a mystery to me why he's so frequently dismissed as a talent -- it seems to me his maturity and judgement were impeccable in the last two races. I very much doubt McLaren will want to dispense with him for next season, though anything can happen.