Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Jun 2002, 10:37 (Ref:314864)   #1
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Derek Johnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Saloons at Oulton Park

Wheres all the Formula Saloon people gone? It certainly looks quiet on here lately or is it that they haven't dried out yet from Brands Hatch.

Comments on another thread about Carlton's is good to see and after some lay off there should be a V8 Calibra performing in the Formula Saloons again soon if strong rumours are to be believed.

With a 24-25 car grid due at Oulton next week, it could be quite an interesting race and it'll be interesting to see who will take the chequered flag this time.

Fancy a freeby at Snetterton? Take a look on the FS website for a new competition!!
Old 16 Jun 2002, 10:51 (Ref:314871)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Sounds like it's going to be a good race. I'll be there!
Old 16 Jun 2002, 15:39 (Ref:314964)   #3
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
be nice if this time they didnt pinch nearly the WHOLE paddock like they did at Pembrey
grrrrrrrr.....

was just bloody selfish, the few big teams had nearly 30% of the whole paddock.. and enough space for about 20 cars!!!

we will see...
Old 16 Jun 2002, 16:30 (Ref:314989)   #4
Nissan
Rookie

Nissan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I was at school (many years ago) the WHOLE paddock would have been 100%, not 30%, I would have guessed that 10% of the paddock was taken up by trailers used by non Formula Saloons teams, many just dumped and left around the paddock.

I think you will find that other series competitors that came to the circuit to test on Friday took up a lot of the room ear marked for Formula Saloons.

If you really want to have a groan ring Pembrey and ask them to build a decent pit / garage area.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 15:30 (Ref:315462)   #5
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
sorry... anger got the better of me.. esp as i dont really know the whole story about it. probs wasnt your fault! dont mean to get at ya.

the saloons are cool to watch!!
Old 17 Jun 2002, 17:48 (Ref:315551)   #6
Nissan
Rookie

Nissan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem THR

Derek is there a list of the Formula Saloons yet, must be fully subscribed, we cann't get in for the Friday test as it is fully booked, unless some one knows any different !!!!!..
We will be there Friday after the football.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 05:20 (Ref:316678)   #7
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Entry List

Sorry Guys
Please find entry list for Oulton:
Class A
Steve Papaworth - Cosworth
Chris Southgate - Cosworth
Ric Wood - Holden/Calibra
Barclay Dougall - Cosworth
Class B
Pete Challis - Primera
Steve Hurst - Audi
Andy Allen - BMW M3
Andy Clarkin - Accord
Derek Hale - Primera
Class C
Don Grice - BMW M3
Martin Williams - BMW M3
Jim Pocklington - Cavalier
Mark Smith - BMW M3
Colin Whitmore - BMW M3
Tony Brass - BMW M3
Class E
Michael Woodcock - Primera
Simon Dickinson - Accord
Graham Coomes - Accord
Keith Butcher - Primera
Martyn Simms - Primera
Gary Woodcock - Primera
Alvin Powell - Mondeo
Chris Crockett - Mondeo

so if that's not worth watching.....gotta be better than the football
Old 20 Jun 2002, 18:35 (Ref:317769)   #8
garry
Racer

garry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Formula Saloon Car Club will be holding competetions before each meeting with 2 caps and 2 tickets to the following meeting as the prizes. Please click on www.formulasaloons.com to see the questions.
The first question is what will be the fastest lap in the Formula Saloon Car Race on the 22nd June. We are on the Island circuit.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 19:16 (Ref:317785)   #9
Derek Johnson
Rookie

and don't forget that the closing time for entries will be one hour before qualifying, to be confirmed by the date & time stamp of any email!
Old 20 Jun 2002, 19:41 (Ref:317801)   #10
Derek Johnson
Rookie

sorry....I think I mucked that up...closing should be midnight 21st
Old 22 Jun 2002, 23:10 (Ref:319262)   #11
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how did everyone do at this particular meeting then???
Old 23 Jun 2002, 05:36 (Ref:319374)   #12
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Hi Tony
I'll try and put something together a bit later today but I think we could say that after a very frought Friday, things turned out OK early Saturday and in my opinion probably one of the most hardest fought races of the season so far, what a race!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 14:18 (Ref:319585)   #13
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derek I echo your sentiments - boy what a race especially the overtaking manouevre along the Pit Straight.

I was looking forward to seeing more of the same in the Europa race but unfortunately he had more car problems.

Last edited by KayBee; 23 Jun 2002 at 14:21.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 15:52 (Ref:319694)   #14
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Hi KayBee
Well I only hope I have done it justice in the web site write=up cos I must say how he got away with some of those manouvers and stayed on the circuit beggers belief.
I sincerely hope that the Thunder Saloons thread will now see that this type of car can still outrun the Touring Cars.
The 'crank reference sensor' for the ignition was the cause of the problem and he was very fortunate that it held up for the FS race but no amount of coaxing was gonna get it going for the Europa, shame but Ric was very happy with them run he had.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 20:28 (Ref:319906)   #15
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Derek Johnson
Hi KayBee
The 'crank reference sensor' for the ignition was the cause of the problem and he was very fortunate that it held up for the FS race but no amount of coaxing was gonna get it going for the Europa, shame but Ric was very happy with them run he had.
Yes! Dave (Brand), who was marshalling at Old Hall, thought that he was going to have to push him.

Incidentally, I have renamed Ric Spiderman (I claim the rights) because of the car's colour scheme, much to the amusement of one of the Judges.

Last edited by KayBee; 23 Jun 2002 at 20:30.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 21:11 (Ref:319952)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
An excellent race! Right from the first lap of practice it looked good - I commented at the time 'these lads ain't playing, they're doing it for real.' That four-car battle for second place was some of the best racing I've seen this season; it just proves that saloons can race hard & close without contact.

Ric's Holden is awesome - it never looks very stable to me, yet he always (well, usually!) has it under control.

Just a point on your website report. Ric's 10-second penalty wasn't for straightlining the Knicker Brook chicane - it was for failing to come to a complete stop. This rule has, for most racing, replaced the 'advantage' rule - I think it's much fairer, as the 'advantage' rule relies on opinion, whereas the complete stop is a simple yes/no decision for the observer.
Old 24 Jun 2002, 05:03 (Ref:320126)   #17
Derek Johnson
Rookie

Dave
Thanks for putting me straight on the penalty, I was unaware of the 'stopping' rule. Whilst I would agree it is probably fairer than the advantage 'slow down', I suspect that few drivers would actually think of or perform the act of totally stopping the car in the course of a race. Super Tourers are pretty renowned for not being the best type of car to take off from a standing start these days, granted that they used to do so but then the teams had a plethora of mechanics able to replace clutch systems in 10 minutes!
You better believe it these guys are not there to make up the numbers, they're there to race and having been with the club for the past 3 years, I still reckon they're the best Saloon racing we have in the UK, and I aint biased.
As for the Holden instability, yep I agree! It was an ex Bathurst car which although they have a few twisty bits, they do rely more on pure 'grunt'. I dont think myself that Ric has ever properly got to grips with the suspension setup of the car, but who the hell cares when you see it piloted around the circuit as Saturday's race!
I don't know if you ever have pushed that car Dave but believe me if you ever do make sure the truss is in place, boy that thing is heavy!!
As for KayBee's SPIDERMAN.....dont know if it's copyrighted??? I hope he carries the theme across to the Calibra!! Yep it's coming out of retirement with a similar engine to the Holden only that one does go round corners!
Old 24 Jun 2002, 13:10 (Ref:320372)   #18
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Thanks for putting me straight on the penalty, I was unaware of the 'stopping' rule. Whilst I would agree it is probably fairer than the advantage 'slow down', I suspect that few drivers would actually think of or perform the act of totally stopping the car in the course of a race.
Hmmm......I should have said that I believe that's why he was penalised. I may be wrong, but, as I said, for most racing the stop rule is used, so I'm fairly sure that it would have been the case on Saturday.

Coming to complete stop in a race is an unnatural act! However, as I said in my previous post, it's much easier to judge than the 'advantage' rule. I've marshalled at both Oulton Chicanes this year & on both occasions the drivers who stopped were outnumbered by those who didn't. In one case, the driver who straightlined the Knicker Brook chicane didn't even brake - but then, he knew that he would end the race with such a big lead that the ten-second penalty would be irrelevant......we're talking Europa Sports/Saloons here!

Quote:
You better believe it these guys are not there to make up the numbers, they're there to race and having been with the club for the past 3 years, I still reckon they're the best Saloon racing we have in the UK, and I aint biased.
On Saturday's showing, I'd have to agree with you.

Quote:
As for the Holden instability, yep I agree! It was an ex Bathurst car which although they have a few twisty bits, they do rely more on pure 'grunt'. I dont think myself that Ric has ever properly got to grips with the suspension setup of the car, but who the hell cares when you see it piloted around the circuit as Saturday's race!
I'm not sure if it is actually unstable, or if it just appears that way. It seems to move around a lot on the suspension, but his speeds around Old Hall on Saturday were pretty impressive.

Quote:
I don't know if you ever have pushed that car Dave but believe me if you ever do make sure the truss is in place, boy that thing is heavy!!
I came VERY close on Saturday at the start of the Europa race......I heaved a sigh of relief when he made it to the Avenue!

Quote:
!Yep it's coming out of retirement with a similar engine to the Holden only that one does go round corners!
That is going to be a lot of fun, although I do firmly believe that racing cars should have more grunt than grip!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 24 Jun 2002 at 13:14.