Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 18 Jun 2002, 18:12 (Ref:316307)   #1
tigered
Rookie

tigered should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ff1600

Considering starting racing.

What is the bset car? What is the best championship to follow?

Will be watching at Combe this weekend - who are the favourite drivers?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 21:42 (Ref:316535)   #2
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome tigered. Combe has a very strong FF160 championship, split inot 2 classes, for cars built pre 1990 and for those built later. The cars to go for pre 90 are Van Diemen RF89 or Reynard FF89. Post 89 look for a Swift SC92 or Van Diemen RF90 or 91 (be wary of the monoshock VD. Drivers to look out for and to chat to are Matt Rivett in Class A (he is leading the championship and drivces a very nice Ray chassis) and Richard Misters who should be there in a Van Diemen RF89. Have a great day...
Old 19 Jun 2002, 08:32 (Ref:316740)   #3
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I indeed will be there in a 89 Van Diemen. If you want to know more about FF1600 pop in to the White marquee named Rivett motorsport. As to the best car, well its all opinions, but Van Diemens and Swifts are the most popular and parts are readily available.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 17:46 (Ref:323793)   #4
tigered
Rookie

FF1600 Chaos

I did go to Combe and it was great to watch F3, Gts, Caterhams etc.

However, was shocked at the FF1600 race and it's driving standards. Can't believe how people overtokk and didn't slow under yellow flags. Only 2 of the top drivers seemed to behave.

The guy in the blue and white car running 2nd chopped cut across another car so severely on the last lap coming out of the corner before the 2nd chicane that I couldn't believe it.

What was the reaction of the officials after?

Not sure I am cut out to race in such a mad championship!
Old 28 Jun 2002, 19:28 (Ref:323865)   #5
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Good Grief! I did not chop accross him I was trying to get out of everyones way after I hit a backmarker once he turned in on me as I was lapping him, I was going about 40 MPH slower and didnt fancy getting hit up the rear by anyone coming through at racing speed. Thats why I got accross to the right as soon as I could!

If you want to be safer and still drive fast maybe give sprinting a go!
Old 29 Jun 2002, 11:19 (Ref:324176)   #6
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The closer and more competitive the racing, the more incidents there are. Driving standards are generally good, Combe FF1600 is regarded as the most competitive and best club FF Championship. Thats why there are 30-35 cars most meetings. I think it may of shocked you as some of the races were boring and presesional and watching traffic go by my local road would be more interesting, all of a sudden you got 35 cars very close and battling all down the grid for quick times and points. I'm thinking Single seaters in general aint for you tigered.
Old 29 Jun 2002, 12:14 (Ref:324192)   #7
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tigered, have you done any karting, and i mean not the arrive and drive lawn mower enginened things. Proper karting teaches you such alot, as well as how close you can run to the next kart.

Try Club 100 as it is identical karts, at a cheap (relativly) rate. Trust me once you have done some 7/8 lap races with 20+ other karters you will appriciate what people are saying here.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 19:23 (Ref:324666)   #8
Ath
Rookie

Ath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi tigered!
What youve got to remember with club level racing is that its an entry level of motorsport. So the grids are going to range from very experienced and very fast front runners all the way back to complete novices at the tail end because you dont need any prior racing experience to get a National B licence and enter a club championship. You can see this by the way the pack gets so spread out in such short races.
This is the same for all club level championships, the combe race you saw was just a bit more incident packed than normal.....I was driving in it and there were spins happening everywhere. Incidentally that was only my 4th ever race with no previous racing experience at all. Its been great fun and a serious learning curve because its not only the driving, but the running of the car itself that youve got to learn and weve gone through some comical learning experiences. Its all been an amazing experience though and id recommend it to anyone.

But from what your saying Id go with what everyone's telling ya - try some karting first. Or if you still dont fancy that, get a racing game for your PC, computer controlled drivers generally follow yellow flags quite obediently.
Old 30 Jun 2002, 19:56 (Ref:324700)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Matt suggests.. why not give sprinting a go.. can use almost any car and won't be a victim of someone elses driving standards.. will also give you a decent idea whether you wnat to go on and race..

Plus it's very cheap too..
Old 1 Jul 2002, 08:43 (Ref:324957)   #10
tigered
Rookie

Thanks guys for all the advice!

I have considered sprinting too - it's just that you don't get enough action in a day in my opinion.

However, I think drivers of any level should obey yellow flags - racing is dangerous enough. There can be no excuse for not seeing them really.

Will try and pop along to some more races during the season and keep an eye on Autsopsort of course.

Good and SAFE racing to you all.