Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:26 (Ref:352106)   #1
wilsonc001
Rookie

wilsonc001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points system....

I was chatting to a couple of friends about F1 and they complained about it being boring due to there only ever being one dominant team, be it Ferrari, McLaren or Williams.

So after going through many ways of making it more 'equal' i.e ballast, budget caps etc.. we decided that a change in the way race points are awarded would be the easiest and most effective way. If they changed it to more like the way carting points are awarded (I think, don't know alot about carting), so you get 1 point for every lap you lead the race and 10 for 1st, 9 for 2nd, 8 for 3rd etc..

This would also stop team orders being such a vital part of winning, as there would only be a gain of 1 point for coming first over second, the only way to get maximum points would be to lead the whole race.

What do you think?
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:29 (Ref:352108)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that 50 years of experiments showed that it is better to increase the points difference between top spots, not the other way around. I'd say just leave them as they are now.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:39 (Ref:352118)   #3
wilsonc001
Rookie

But surely if the it has got to a point when many are switching off because they view the sport as 'boring' then its time to start trying new things again ?

Old 7 Aug 2002, 10:58 (Ref:352129)   #4
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think awarding points to the first 10 finishers would be good but really you have to have a bit of a points difference between 1st and 2nd.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:03 (Ref:352134)   #5
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I've always thought there should be a point for pole position and a point for the fastest lap. The latter would also lead to some excitement late in the race when cars are often cruising a little.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:04 (Ref:352136)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by wilsonc001
But surely if the it has got to a point when many are switching off because they view the sport as 'boring' then its time to start trying new things again ?

Define "many" Considering that the audience of Formula 1 is actually increasing I'd rather say that even more like it.

By the way, that's not a good time to start again. I mean again Formula 1. Is a perfect time to start a NEW series if you want.

Points for first 10 finishers is kinda useless. It won't make any difference among the top players since they don't often finish lower than 6, and at the back it doesn't make difference too. Anyway, THAT point that Minardi scores in a whole season is much more valuable and an opportunity to party then say 7 points from 7 last finishes, and finishing last in the general standings. Just let them as they are

PS: A half point for pole or fastest lap... hmm... might work. I mean it won't hurt anyone....

Last edited by Red; 7 Aug 2002 at 11:06.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 11:42 (Ref:352167)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 system is best for a close series, as its harder to pull away out in front...BUT, that doesn't show domination. And, as F1 is the top of the ladder, there is no need for circus points systems. I like it now...Schuey I do not like...but the system shows he has been dominating. And that is the way it should stay.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 12:08 (Ref:352192)   #8
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say just leave it how it is.

If you are finishing halfway down the field you don't deserve any points, and alot of the time only 9 or 10 cars are finishing, do the people finishing 9th or 10th in these races deserve points? i don't reckon
Old 7 Aug 2002, 12:24 (Ref:352213)   #9
wilsonc001
Rookie

It was just a suggestion. Personally I don't think theres much point, your average bod doesn't watch the races so they can count points, its the on-track action that gets people interested
Old 7 Aug 2002, 12:43 (Ref:352242)   #10
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have one solution to this catch-22, make a new championship where second place is more important than today. Give the title to Schumi and let the rest fight for the new title.

Besides the rule where you give 10, 9, 8 , 7 …… points will not work in F1. You can simply not effort to miss out in the race, you must all the time score points, and what will be the side-effects? Drivers will not dare to risk anything, they will drive more carefully, not pushing the car to spare it, not risking overtaking, and well, you will have merely a parade there instead of a race.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 12:55 (Ref:352257)   #11
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think leave the race points the way it is but give a point for pole and maybe one for most laps lead or fastest lap. A least Monty would have something to show for his great poles
Old 7 Aug 2002, 13:15 (Ref:352278)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I like the reward for winning as it stands. Many of you are not familiar with NASCAR (ugh!) - but in that series there is very little differential between the positions. As I recall, one of the recent series champions won the series championship while winning only 2 or 3 of 30-odd races! What a reward for mediocrity! I would rather see the reward system skewed toward the actual race winner. A point for pole and a point for fastest lap would be a cool incentive though.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 13:38 (Ref:352288)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree about having a point for pole, and a point for the fastest lap, and maybe 1 point for leading a race at any time (except maybe straight from the start), but I think the current points system is fine for the pinnacle of F1.

The only time I would request a change is if the teams are allowed to enter 3 cars, as the chance of anyone other than Ferrari, Williams and McLaren would be so remote.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 16:23 (Ref:352385)   #14
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack racer
I think leave the race points the way it is but give a point for pole and maybe one for most laps lead or fastest lap. A least Monty would have something to show for his great poles

I guess we need new rules so Montoya can close the massive gab on Michael.
But lets say pole gives 1 additional point, 1 point for each leading-lap and one for fastest laps, who do you think of the two will have more points at the end of the year, not counting race points? :confused:

I must say never has a man dominated F1 is such manners. One of the reasons is actually this kind of threads. At no time when other cars manufacturers have been dominating, the gab has been so lavishly massive. There is that ancient question again: “Is Schumacher the greatest?”
Old 7 Aug 2002, 19:07 (Ref:352502)   #15
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
I like the reward for winning as it stands. Many of you are not familiar with NASCAR (ugh!) - but in that series there is very little differential between the positions. As I recall, one of the recent series champions won the series championship while winning only 2 or 3 of 30-odd races! What a reward for mediocrity! I would rather see the reward system skewed toward the actual race winner. A point for pole and a point for fastest lap would be a cool incentive though.
Mind you, look at NASCAR. I've been told (don't know how true it is) that it's now the most popular motorsport in America as they reformed themselves whilst CART/IRL was getting messy - so the fans changed camps.

At the end of the day wins are still valuable, as it is something for your CV, and you feel good with it.

The points system does need to change, just by adding points for some lower positions - but I wouldn't say lower than 10th as that would just devalue them.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 19:47 (Ref:352523)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It is (unfortuantely) the most popular form of motorsport here. Imho, it is because of the clever marketing blend of "good guys" vs "bad guys." Sort of a modified "bread and games" approach to entertaining the masses. Certainly very little focus on the technological or driver skill aspect.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 21:13 (Ref:352616)   #17
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A points system that covers the whole 22 field would make the championship much closer. Also have a point for pole and fastest lap.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 21:32 (Ref:352635)   #18
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the scoring system is okay the way it is. It means that wins and points are very valuable and sought after, and it should stay this way, even if it means domination by one team. Hopefully next year we will see a closer fight for the WDC that goes all the way to the last race at Suzuka. Ferrari's dominance won't last forever. They could even enter a slump next year, even with Schumacher there.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:00 (Ref:353097)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Leave the points system as it is for a historical reason more than anything!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:32 (Ref:353127)   #20
OverRun
Rookie

OverRun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A point for pole and a point for most laps led would be fine. But a point for the fastest lap would be too open to abuse, if you were a lap down, there is nothing to stop you coming in sticking on some brand new tyres, putting in only enough fuel for 3 laps and effectively doing a qualifying run and that would get you the same number of points as somebody finishing 6th in the race !!

Last edited by OverRun; 8 Aug 2002 at 14:41.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 14:52 (Ref:353146)   #21
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Good point!

And welcome to ten tenths, by the way!
Old 8 Aug 2002, 15:54 (Ref:353184)   #22
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't change point system. Change drivers.

*rebel yell*
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:25 (Ref:353282)   #23
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Leave the points system as it is for a historical reason more than anything!
the points system has changed in the past though - most recently with 9 points for a win
Old 8 Aug 2002, 18:42 (Ref:353295)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Asp

the points system has changed in the past though - most recently with 9 points for a win
Yes it has been changed, but only by 1 extra point for the winner, it was still only the top 6 finishers who scored. Top 10 finishers all scoring points (as has been suggested) would mean the winner scoring 25 points (or there abouts), an increase of 15 points, or the equivilent of 2.5 wins in the current way of scoring. It has also been suggested that all runners score points, does that mean then that the winner would get 50-100 points? I personally don't want to see F1 going the way of NASCAR, where the winner of the series may end up with about a million points, sort of takes away from it a bit.

(p.s.... i know the winner won't actually have a million points, but i don't know the points system for NASCAR)