Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Apr 2003, 16:32 (Ref:579586)   #1
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many of these meetings will be cancelled

I have just noticed on the motorsport news calender an amazing clash of meetings in one weekend, the question is how many will have to be cancelled due to lack of officals /drivers not just marshals... the meeting line up is as follows

20-Jun-03 Silverstone MGCC
21-Jun-03 Silverstone MGCC Int
21-Jun-03 Snetterton HSCC
21-Jun-03 Oulton Park JCC
21-Jun-03 Castle Combe BRSCC F3/GT
21-Jun-03 Rockingham BARC BTCC
21-Jun-03 Pembrey BARC
21-Jun-03 Silverstone BARC Stowe
21-Jun-03 Lydden Hill SEMSEC
21-Jun-03 Donington Park VSCC Vintage Festival
22-Jun-03 Donington Park VSCC Vintage Festival
22-Jun-03 Silverstone BARC Stowe
22-Jun-03 Cadwell Park BRSCC
22-Jun-03 Pembrey BARC
22-Jun-03 Silverstone MGCC Int
22-Jun-03 Castle Combe BRSCC F3/GT
22-Jun-03 Mallory BRSCC
22-Jun-03 Snetterton HSCC
22-Jun-03 Rockingham BARC BTCC
22-Jun-03 Anglesey Rallycross

BARC/ BRSCC both have 3 meetings on the same days

This isn’t fair on anyone, officals /drivers..... we know some these meeting will have to cancelled so why did the MSA allow it to happen...... Isn’t it about time the MSA took control from the clubs and scheluded events proper
Old 24 Apr 2003, 16:59 (Ref:579607)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know about the small meetings, but I think you'll find that the MSA do oversee timetabling of the larger ones.

Not sure exactly where your info came from but the F3/GT meeting at Castle Combe is run by the BRDC not the BRSCC.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 17:37 (Ref:579662)   #3
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it's not the small clubs that suffer, thats my point.. The data came from julian floyd's site I changed the BTCC venues missed the organisers.. oops
Old 24 Apr 2003, 18:16 (Ref:579717)   #4
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there's another meeting as well!!! British Hillclimb round at Loton Park, both days!!!!
Old 24 Apr 2003, 18:21 (Ref:579722)   #5
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to let everyone know the 24hr 2CV meeting at Snetterton in June is not going to be cancled but still require more marshals. If you have the time to spare and are not going over the water then give BARC a ring and volunteer.
Rich.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 18:22 (Ref:579726)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't commenting on who suffers, just that I think that the MSA do have a hand in approving dates.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 18:26 (Ref:579729)   #7
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you are just nibbling at the surface,you also need to remember alll the other motorsport events be they run by msa, acu, nora etc etc as many marshal for other organisations,

the biggest problem is down to they are only so many weekends a year and so many venues and so many competitors to get racing in whatever form they choose.

so i dont think its as simple as just getting the msa to organise a season
Old 24 Apr 2003, 18:50 (Ref:579760)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
factor in rallies as well as many marshals are dual.
Old 24 Apr 2003, 23:01 (Ref:580015)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And I shall be at a sprint at Llandow...
Old 25 Apr 2003, 09:58 (Ref:580383)   #10
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't believe that the organising clubs haven't picked this up. Three or four meetings on the same day is usual, but 9? (just counting the circuit meetings). If the lack of marshals is as bad as some people fear, then this is really going to stretch resources.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 10:22 (Ref:580397)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sad as it is to say this, if one of two meetings get cancelled due to lack of officials, it may open one or two peoples eyes. However, I suspect the practice of 'moving people around on the circuit' will happen to make it look as though there are more marshals than there really are.
Old 25 Apr 2003, 15:23 (Ref:580678)   #12
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I suspect this is another case that, complain as we might, nothing will change until meetings bite the dust and money is lost.

One question I would ask is that wasn't one of the objectives of setting up BMP to ensure that the top flight British Motorsport events were properly organised, co-ordinated and promoted? Even if the needs of the officials running the meetings aren't enough to shift the wheels commerce - surely the overlapping spectator catchment demographic of Touring cars at the Rock and GT/F3 at Combe on the same days, makes no business sense at all?!
Old 25 Apr 2003, 17:46 (Ref:580844)   #13
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who plans all these meetings i think they should get a new crystal ball. isnt that the weekend for the annual marshalls summer ball on the isle of white?
Old 25 Apr 2003, 21:05 (Ref:581028)   #14
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something in a similar vein was mentioned in the "National Racing" forum. Next years Willhire for the Britcars is planned to be 24hours around the Silverstone GP circuit. Obviously manning that is going to be tough enough as it is - but will any organising clubs take that into consideration when planning meetings for the same weekend?
Old 28 Apr 2003, 07:57 (Ref:582563)   #15
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real cause of the problem is the MSA's failure to clamp down on the introduction of new formulas. Most of those meetings listed at the top of this thread will involve half full grids, but of course they still need the correct complement of marshals.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 09:08 (Ref:582608)   #16
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGCC meeting at Silverstone is their big meeting of the year and will feature over-subscribed grids so if you want to marshall at a meeting with plenty of competitors this is the one to go for!! I agree though that there are too many series now with too few competitors. I raced at Mallory recently where one race had 4 entries and another 7!! I am led to believe that any championship that does not produce an average grid of 15 cars over the year will have it's status revoked, I wait to see but I am not holding my breath as the MSA moves in mysterious ways!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 10:00 (Ref:582649)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to Ten-Tenths Mike.

I can recommend the MGCC meeting to anyone who wishes to marshal. Last years meeting at Brands was fantastic with excellent races, full grids and drivers and a club that appreviate marshals. I hope you get more volunteers than you need Mike!
Old 28 Apr 2003, 19:36 (Ref:583132)   #18
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cadwell Park is looking for marshals for their BRSCC meting on the 18th May as they are a bit thin on the ground.
This is one of the greatest circuits around and if you have never been its worth it.
Give the BRSCC a call and volunteer for it.
Rich.
Old 28 Apr 2003, 19:56 (Ref:583151)   #19
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone interested in the 18th May at Cadwell Park, can PM me and I will put their names forward.
Nice to see you yesterday Richard
Pete
Old 29 Apr 2003, 07:42 (Ref:583475)   #20
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back onto praseing the MGCC meeting, they always appreciate marshalls and on the two day event always have a free barbeque and large amounts of old Speckled hen, plus and most important they always have good racing...

BUT back on topic I feel the answer to the question 'how many meetings will be cancelled' I fear will be none...
I don't believe that the MSA steward (or however's responsibility) will ever cancel a meeting on the day due to lack of safety cover.

There have already been a meeting this year with below minimum numbers, eg IO plus one other and only 50% of posts had an observer.

Please somebody prove me wrong?
Old 29 Apr 2003, 08:33 (Ref:583517)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by scorch
There have already been a meeting this year with below minimum numbers, eg IO plus one other and only 50% of posts had an observer.
'Minimum' is not, as far as I know, officially defined. The Blue Book just stipulates that an 'adequate number of competent marshals must be on duty throughout the event'.

I've done a lot of meetings where I've been the only incident marshal on post. IOs? A luxury at many circuits!
Old 29 Apr 2003, 23:25 (Ref:584402)   #22
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Fair point Mr Brand.

I wondered about this earlier on this year. The only possible improvement I could think of that made any sense was for the MSA to decide for each circuit, what the minimum staffing level was. That way, there would be a more meaningful lower limit, but each circuit would still have their circumstances and circuit problems taken into consideration.

I don't honestly know if that's a good idea or a bad idea.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:07 (Ref:584764)   #23
Piglet
Veteran

Competent is not defined either which throws another spanner into the works!

I think B1ackcr0w is on the right lines with a circuit minimum and I think that this might be done in some shape or form with the track licence. I think it at lease details marshals' posts - anyone know?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:48 (Ref:584818)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I believe the licence shows the number of marshals posts.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 11:46 (Ref:584879)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet
Competent is not defined either which throws another spanner into the works!
A very contentious area - I understand that from this year ACU marshals licences will not show specific grades to avoid legal complications in the event of litigation.

Quote:
I think B1ackcr0w is on the right lines with a circuit minimum and I think that this might be done in some shape or form with the track licence. I think it at lease details marshals' posts - anyone know?
If you want to see minimum levels, just look at how many marshals the circuits employ for track days, etc!