Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 4 Nov 2003, 20:14 (Ref:773046)   #1
Rascasse
Rookie

Rascasse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to F3 Winter series ?

What happened to the F3 Winter series ? I have been out of the country. I thought the second round was this weekend at Silverstone.
Thanks.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 21:00 (Ref:773098)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was canned: Rockingham wouldn't change their chicane and whether Silverstone was cancelled because of a lack of entries or just a lack of rounds I haven't found out.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 21:02 (Ref:773101)   #3
Dangerous games
Racer

Dangerous games should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The F3 winter series was cancelled Due to teams complaining about the first corner chicane at Rockingham, this is because when they raced there earlier in the year the cars became heavily damaged on the under tray (Katherine Legg). The F3 teams have said to rockingham to change this or they will not race winter series. Rockingham didn't change the chicane, no F3 winter series at rockingham!
Sliverstone is not on this weekend as most teams and drivers are leaving for macau and appently there wasn't big enough numbers with only SYR and P1 taking part unless they ran about a millon cars each! Which i don't thinks going happen!
Have i answered all that you question?
Old 4 Nov 2003, 21:35 (Ref:773144)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
any novelty answers to this question are also welcome since it's pretty much off season and we're all bored.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 21:38 (Ref:773147)   #5
Dangerous games
Racer

Why can't the seasons be longer? Why is macau so far away they just aren't thoughtful enough about where to place these events! I mean what about us poor little fans which can't reach the other side of the world i haven't got wings! where as i just walk to brands! A good bit of exercise near did anyone a bit of harm! Were not all rolling in it aswell!

Last edited by Dangerous games; 4 Nov 2003 at 21:45.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 22:19 (Ref:773187)   #6
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, so there isn't any F3 at Silverstone this weekend, but fans of proper racing cars shouldn't care. The F3 Winter Series was always intended to be a support to the Walter Hayes FF1600 Trophy anyway. If you want some good racing this weekend, get yourself to Silverstone.
The BRDC need congratulating for headlining the best single seater class this country [and the rest of the world has ever had]
Briefly, Saturday has 3 FF1600 qualifying sessions and 3 FF1600 racing heats. Sunday has a Last Chance FF1600 race, 2 Semi Finals and the Walter Hayes Trophy Final itself.
There is a varied support programme on both days. Be there, or miss the climax to the UK racing season.

Last edited by diz; 4 Nov 2003 at 22:20.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 22:24 (Ref:773191)   #7
Rascasse
Rookie

OK Thanks.

I was in the main stand at Rockingham for Katherine's flying lesson. I actually think the problem was caused by not paying the chicane enough respect. Several drivers ran pretty well straight over it.

The strange thing about that day was getting caught up in a huge traffic jam trying to get into Rockingham - and 7 days before having left the British GP without any problems at all !
Old 4 Nov 2003, 22:32 (Ref:773196)   #8
Rascasse
Rookie

Thanks diz

Yes I will be at the Walter Hayes on Sunday - wrapped up against the Silverstone wind.

I asked my Son this evening if he wanted to come with me - he did not give me a straight answer ! He remembers getting freezing cold at Rockingham in November 2002, in pouring rain - a Rob Austin win if I remember correctly.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 11:12 (Ref:773674)   #9
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard it was Greg Murphy's fault.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 14:08 (Ref:773827)   #10
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dangerous games
Why is macau so far away.... We're not all rolling in it!
Dangerous - I'm far from rolling in it and had always resisted going to Macau on the grounds that I knew I'd like it far too much

I eventually gave in and went in '01 - on a very cheap deal thanks to a friend having huge amounts of air miles and yup, I was instantly hooked. Not just on the race but also the place itself - it's great

I now save every penny that I can during the year to ensure that I can end the season on a high - and it's not as expensive as you might think, not much different to what most of my friends spend on a so called 'normal' holiday
Old 5 Nov 2003, 14:52 (Ref:773870)   #11
WD40
Rookie

WD40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nobody has any money apart from Piquet and viso That wy there is no races
Old 5 Nov 2003, 15:14 (Ref:773889)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How did Macau get started anyways? Getting F3 teams to go all the way to, basically China, seems like quite a sell. Especially back in the day when the boat trip probalby cost as much as a season.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:05 (Ref:774013)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It became F3 in 1983.Was originally a local Libre race fron 1954,contested mainly by Hong Kong businessmen.Seems to have evolved into a f.Atlantic/Pacific meet by the 70s.I guess someone promoting F3 did a deal with the organizers.It is odd that most of the grid now comes from Europe.Korea of course now shares the shipping costs and there was talk recently of a stop in the middle east.Whatever,there seems little demand for a series in England in cold & foggy November. Last year they had to bring in some ARP cars to make up a grid.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:07 (Ref:774017)   #14
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't / isn't Macau F3 organised by Barry Bland (Motor Racing International?)?
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:22 (Ref:774032)   #15
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
It became F3 in 1983.Was originally a local Libre race fron 1954,contested mainly by Hong Kong businessmen.Seems to have evolved into a f.Atlantic/Pacific meet by the 70s.I guess someone promoting F3 did a deal with the organizers.It is odd that most of the grid now comes from Europe.Korea of course now shares the shipping costs and there was talk recently of a stop in the middle east.Whatever,there seems little demand for a series in England in cold & foggy November. Last year they had to bring in some ARP cars to make up a grid.
Let's face it - given the choice of a feezing cold and most likely wet circuit in the UK or a nice hot sunny one round the streets of Macau, which would you choose
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:23 (Ref:774033)   #16
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing
Wasn't / isn't Macau F3 organised by Barry Bland (Motor Racing International?)?
Barry most certainly is involved with both Macau and Korea, and it's Motor Racing Consultants Ltd.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:27 (Ref:774034)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I said this last year, but if you run the 'Winter' Series in October there *might* be a little more interest.
Old 5 Nov 2003, 17:52 (Ref:774052)   #18
Russfeld
Veteran

F3 has never struck me as a series that lends itself to a winter series. Not sure I can explain it, but it just doesnt add up to me
Old 6 Nov 2003, 08:42 (Ref:774544)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would make more sense just to add 2 rounds in october to the british championship.Why does it finish in September? I can remember going to the last round at Brands Hatch on Dec27!
Old 6 Nov 2003, 22:52 (Ref:775301)   #20
Dangerous games
Racer

Bring that back! But where would the other two events take place at? i would put em at cadwell park and have another visit to croft?!
Old 6 Nov 2003, 23:56 (Ref:775344)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

Cadwell in an F3 car would be the most awesome but simulataneously scary lap in racing.
Old 7 Nov 2003, 00:20 (Ref:775352)   #22
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, F3 complain enough about Rockingham's chicane, can you imagine the changes they would want for The Mountain". Probably a local Air Traffic Control and a foam landing strip.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 14:50 (Ref:778881)   #23
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Cadwell in an F3 car would be the most awesome but simulataneously scary lap in racing.
Back when Ayrton Senna and Stephen South were in F3, Cadwell was just splendid. Sitting in a rescue unit just behind the Armco at the top of the Mountain you had a good view of their cars with all four wheels off the ground as they crested the hill. I don't know what it did for them but it certainly scared me.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 10 Nov 2003 at 14:51.
Old 10 Nov 2003, 15:07 (Ref:778905)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I was in the main stand at Rockingham for Katherine's flying lesson. I actually think the problem was caused by not paying the chicane enough respect. Several drivers ran pretty well straight over it.
I suspect that the argument from the teams might involve the severity of the effect (punishment:confused: ) which use/abuse of the kerbs leads to. For reasons which are not clear to me, the consequences at Rockingham seem to be more severe than, say, Thruxton.

For a really unforgiving reaction, try last year's chicane in Changwon - ask a number of drivers.

Regards

Jim