Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Feb 2004, 02:07 (Ref:866772)   #1
dynamicDynamo
Rookie

dynamicDynamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan Magnussen

Why did Jan never progress any further in F1?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 02:16 (Ref:866778)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Not good enough? Not serious enough? Smoked too much?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 05:18 (Ref:866828)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember, he came with much hype too... but just screwed up. Not worthy for an F1 drive?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 05:41 (Ref:866831)   #4
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens always got the new parts first and had most support from the team.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 05:48 (Ref:866832)   #5
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Jan Magnussen

Quote:
Originally posted by dynamicDynamo
Why did Jan never progress any further in F1?
Why does anyone not? He is a great driver. He just has to have a car that will not break.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 8 Feb 2004, 10:40 (Ref:866931)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan was a fantastic F3 driver , sometimes though it just doesnt happen it the way it should .

I still think Jan is miles better than his short F1 career showed .
He done ok when he was chucked in the deep end at Mclaren in Aida years ago .
Old 8 Feb 2004, 10:54 (Ref:866941)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He was a little unlucky, but also he failed to make the best of what he had. IMHO.He certainly has talent and could have been a success in F1, but at the end of the day wasn't.

However he is doing well in sportscars and touring cars (championships are still coming is way). He seems to be having a good time too.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 11:10 (Ref:866947)   #8
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overdriving in the slower corners apparently. No problem in the fasties. Shame...
Old 8 Feb 2004, 12:09 (Ref:866999)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was just very poor really. As sato san pointed out, he was great in F3 and other junior formulas and I think he's pretty successful nowadays in sportscars. If he had took all his chances in F1 he could have progressed, but that's just the way it goes for some drivers.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 13:50 (Ref:867091)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im amazed though , that he never gave up smoking before he did ?....I mean , the Days of Keke having a fag beofre a race was over years before...

Actually , i dont think Jan ever smoked that heavy , but the point is still a valid one . Im also amazed that after driving for Paul Stewart Racing like he did , Jackie never forced his hand to give up the partys and fags , as Jackie is normally very strict on his drivers showing the correct approach .

And he won the Formula Ford Festival back in 92 in a Van Diemen ....ooooh , Formula Ford ...now were talking real racing ....

I'm off now to dig my 1992 Formula Ford Festival tape out !..Perfect sunday afternoon viewing that is !

Last edited by Sato san; 8 Feb 2004 at 13:57.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 13:57 (Ref:867097)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can his incessant smoking have really affected him that much, though? And Eddie Irvine did alright, and he liked to party....

sato........you make others' video collections look tiny and mundane in comparison. Stop making me jealous........
Old 8 Feb 2004, 14:02 (Ref:867100)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
lol...sorry

im sure that his smoking didnt completly affect it , but in F1 is all about showing the right approach isnt it ...( except for Eddie ) ...I jut cant imagine someone like Michael going out to a party and having some fags and booze a few days before he goes racing ?....Personally , i love to see some personality in a driver like Jan had , its just im sure certain team managers probally like them like Michael is ...

There was a rumour going round last year that Jan was trying to get a F3000 drive ?...
Old 8 Feb 2004, 14:08 (Ref:867106)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No, no, no.....Schuey is a wild thing at heart....he likes to have ice-creams during race weekends!

Rock 'n Roll!!!!!
Old 8 Feb 2004, 14:17 (Ref:867118)   #14
tally-bally-ho
Rookie

tally-bally-ho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jan was Ford's scapegoat at Stewart, usual scenario, something had to be seen to be done so they fired him. When there are far more talented drivers than there are drives this happens. Why should they care if he smoked, it didn't affect his driving. But its not just about driving is it?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 14:20 (Ref:867120)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I don't think he was entirely a scapegoat....he didn't do as well as he should have done and faced the consequences.

Given his performances, would you have kept him on, regardless of Fords influence?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 14:49 (Ref:867136)   #16
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael does have the odd fag. Heinz-Harald, too.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 18:45 (Ref:867263)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
I don't think he was entirely a scapegoat....he didn't do as well as he should have done and faced the consequences.

Given his performances, would you have kept him on, regardless of Fords influence?
Lets see, Jan Magnussen, Jos Verstappen, Johnny Herbert(until Barichello anounced he was leaving and again after Eddie Irvine entered at Jag),de la Rosa, Burti, Pizzonia, Wilson.

can we see a patern here??

Yes, they all drove the 2nd Stewart/Jaguar.

I wish Klien good luck, that seat seems to be cursed.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 18:49 (Ref:867265)   #18
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTW, here's a part of the entrylist for the 2004 ETCC:

23 Peugeot Sport Engineering Jan Magnussen (DEN) Peugeot 307 Gti
24 Peugeot Sport Engineering Jason Watt (DEN) Peugeot 307 Gti
Old 8 Feb 2004, 20:23 (Ref:867372)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jason Watt is more of a lost talent to F1 than Jan Magnussen. And in much more tragic circumstances.

I'd also venture that if Tom Kristensen had got a Grand Prix drive he'd have been seen as Denmark's top driver.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 20:38 (Ref:867386)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That wouldn't take much would it though, really?
Old 8 Feb 2004, 20:59 (Ref:867413)   #21
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Kristensen is a great driver, oh yes. There's more to motorsport than F1.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 21:01 (Ref:867415)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 21:12 (Ref:867425)   #23
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Indeed.
MUCH!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 8 Feb 2004, 22:26 (Ref:867500)   #24
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you three are heading into "offensive flamebait post" territory there...
Old 8 Feb 2004, 23:34 (Ref:867566)   #25
SKWei
Rookie

SKWei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't I hear something about Jan getting Legionnaires Disease and it being covered up by Stewart so he could keep racing? Or, am I talking tosh :P