Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 May 2004, 19:32 (Ref:965802)   #1
Zaius
Rookie

Zaius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault?

Looking at the "who's the next best team behind Ferrari" results (28 BAR, 25 WILLIAMS, 5 RENAULT) and browing through the other topics, I find that even though Renault is #2 in constructor, 10 points up from #3, it is getting "little love" 'round these parts. Renault has made some great improvements over last year, and granted that McLaren's dismal performance, and BAR's surprisingly good one, are two stories worth talking about, Renault's steady #2 status, and young Alonso's fiery drive seem interesting to me.

This is not a complaint about Renault not getting enough attention, but merely a question to those who either dismiss the team or are uninterested by the team. Why?
Old 9 May 2004, 19:35 (Ref:965807)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Flavio Briatori.
Nuff Said.
Old 9 May 2004, 19:36 (Ref:965808)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well on pure pace Renault hasn't looked as good as BAR has it? It's the match of Williams though!
Old 9 May 2004, 19:39 (Ref:965811)   #4
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is mainly due to BAR taking the spotlight from the opening race as "the" challenger to Ferrari. No question about Jarno's performance today. Nothing wrong with Spain's own either.

What would have been different if Jense hadn't had his off in the qual? Would Jarno have been where he was? Would Juan? Would Michael have been on pole?

And, would Jense have been up on the podium again?

Questions all good, but not worthy of much discussion since it won't change the outcome.

Renault have earned their position though, that is not in question.
Old 9 May 2004, 20:28 (Ref:965851)   #5
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think their steady progress has resulted in 'steady' journalism.

Last year there was a bit of a 'spike' when Alonso got pole and points but this year BAR have made the major step.

I wonder why Renault have not made a seeming a bigger leap as BAR. Perhaps its the engine rejig, perahps its the team rejig. Either way they have not astounded this year - as was shown by Flav's shake of the head on the pitwall - post race.

Have they got the finance and clout to really close that gap. I wonder?
Old 9 May 2004, 21:20 (Ref:965914)   #6
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
loss of designer
Old 9 May 2004, 21:50 (Ref:965943)   #7
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I was one of the people who voted for Renault in that pole. Combining performance, reliability and driving consistency, the WCC table is testament of Renault's position in the pecking order.

The Renault might not have the speed over one lap that perhaps BAR and Williams do, but when it comes to the race, they are looking in their mirrors for the blue and yellow cars.

Alonso looks like he could have done more so far this season. He has finished nearly every race since Melbourne tucked under someones gearbox. There's a chance he could have been 3rd in all five races so far.

Last edited by Raven; 9 May 2004 at 21:53.
Old 9 May 2004, 22:51 (Ref:965988)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault is only missing outright pace. Everything else seems to be on point. BAR is still learning. The are faster but not as homologated. I think the race for 2nd will be very interesting.
Old 10 May 2004, 06:58 (Ref:966159)   #9
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault has proven very consistent up to now, but never seemed able to fightr for the win. They haven't, AFAN, significantly improved since last year, as it was expected, in terms of top performance.
Old 10 May 2004, 08:13 (Ref:966209)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've noticed that Trulli's car was more of a handful than Alonso's was, especially when Jarno was in the lead he quite clearly had to work it alot harder and IMO it showed in some strange racing lines as his entry and exit lines were quite different to TGF.
Old 10 May 2004, 08:28 (Ref:966224)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
I've noticed that Trulli's car was more of a handful than Alonso's was, especially when Jarno was in the lead he quite clearly had to work it alot harder and IMO it showed in some strange racing lines as his entry and exit lines were quite different to TGF.
Yes, the Ferrari looked like it was on rails compared to the Renault.

In Australia they showed some replays on Alonso (or trulli) onboard and he was fighting some serious understeer.
Old 10 May 2004, 10:50 (Ref:966346)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Renault have had quite an enigmatic start to the season. The car doesn't seem to be as quick as the Ferrari, and Alonso's qualifying mistakes haven't helped. however, they've got 10 points finishes out of 10, something only Ferrari can claim, and a 1-2 in the non-Ferrari-race yesterday.

Perhaps they haven't been as headline-grabbing as BAR though, and you suspect that once McLaren get it together they will struggle to match these results.
Old 10 May 2004, 10:52 (Ref:966348)   #13
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso seems to like an understeery car that he has to throw into the corners, or at least that seems to be his way of getting the best from this Renault.

But in-car yesterday (might've been Trulli), that seemed to be killing him in terms of trying to get the power down - he couldn't nail it until waaaaaaaaaay after the apex.

About Renault, I was thinking they're very quietly getting on with a very good job. While all the focus is on Mac and Williams' struggle, and BAR's success, nobody seems to have noticed that both Renaults have scored points every race... I'm quite certain those in the Renault team are quite happy with that.
Old 10 May 2004, 11:19 (Ref:966376)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault have indeed done exceptionally well.
Especially considering everyone was writing them off after loosing their excellent designer.
Having said that,it's not too surprising that losing a leading designer should make little difference at first.Obviously all those who worked under him have picked up on what is needed to produce a great car.Perhaps in the longer term they may go backwards again as they run out of ideas....

Oh,by the way-i was one predicting they would fall apart,lol.I knew they had enough tallent to keep it together for awhile but just thought flabio was letting the wrong people make decisions and it would all fall apart.

The 'old engine' bullsh*t was rediculous however.Reporters were going around saying that this years engine was a development of the 98(?) engine which is just pure stupidity.
Old 10 May 2004, 12:41 (Ref:966442)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it's not the phenomenal engine they predicted, either.