Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Nov 2000, 19:08 (Ref:50336)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Before anyone thinks that I believe that Pedro Diniz does not deserve a ride in F1, let me say this. While he has not performed all that great in F1, neither have the teams he has driven for.

Albinio Diniz, father of Pedro Diniz, has purchased a 30 to 40 percent share in Prost Grand Prix. This should assure Pedro a ride in the team for as long as he wishes.
Old 29 Nov 2000, 19:57 (Ref:50343)   #2
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money will always get you a seat in Formula One. The other thing you need is a superlicence ofcourse.

But I heard rumors Pedro Diniz might even give up his racing career and take up a role as manager at Prost GP.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 00:43 (Ref:50378)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He couldn't possibly do any harm in either position. And Lord knows Alain needs the money desperately, so I'm glad Sr. Diniz anted up. Personally I like Diniz and the only thing I am wondering is whether Jean Alesi will allow him to live if he doesn't learn to look where he's going.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 03:02 (Ref:50391)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the way to get SEAT in F1 was to get VW to sponsor De La Rosa and Gene and badge an engine for Minardi.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 05:11 (Ref:50405)   #5
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerard
But I heard rumors Pedro Diniz might even give up his racing career and take up a role as manager at Prost GP.
Lets face it, Prost was an excellent driver but I do not think he has the “people skills” to run a team well. I think he has too much of a "loner mentality." Look at how McLaren picked up after Prost left as a technical consultant. (I know there are other factors but I am using it to illustrate a point.)

The impression that I get is that Prost in not well liked by the members of the team. Diniz IS popular amongst the drivers and team personel. Management wise, this may be what Prost needs.

Diniz has taken a lot of flack for being a paying driver but I would have to say he is one of the very best pay drivers ever in Formula One. Least we forget some of the idiots who have had Formula One drives due to a cash donation to a team.
Old 30 Nov 2000, 07:49 (Ref:50415)   #6
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My sentiments exactly Tris.

Old 30 Nov 2000, 18:45 (Ref:50508)   #7
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr. Eero I wonder if you live in the same world that I do!!!! uhm! no no I don't think so

Have a nice day
Old 30 Nov 2000, 19:24 (Ref:50529)   #8
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diniz has announced that although he was offered a drive by Alain, he has declined and is going to become part of the management team.
Old 1 Dec 2000, 01:20 (Ref:50574)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An ideal solution for everyone. Alain can hand over some of the people things to him, Alesi doesn't have to look out for him on the track, and they can afford the Ferrari engines they needed.

Tris, as much as I admire Alain, I believe you are right. The skills that make the top pilots what they are, are exactly the wrong skills for top management. A top pilot has to be self-centred, totally focused on his own navel, concerned at all times that the world revolves around him (when at the track of course, and when working with the car). That is the way for a manager to lose his job - and Alain would have been fired except that there's no one above him to fire him ...

As I say, i like Diniz and I think he will smooth things over a bit in the garage - and Bernie will no doubt be glad to have him off the piste.

But now who will drive that other Blue Diecast?
Old 1 Dec 2000, 04:15 (Ref:50601)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the face of it, it makes a tremendous amout of sense for all concerned. Diniz may actually prove to have administrative skills that surpass his driving skills and which allow Prost the opportunity to function as a de-facto figure head.

Of course this Franco-Brazilian Alliance begs the question about Liz' fave Franco-Brazilian "Pilote"...hhmmmmmm

The other thing is that now the second seats at Sauber and Prost are still going begging, will this pave the way for Raikkonen?
Old 1 Dec 2000, 09:08 (Ref:50619)   #11
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find this quite interesting. It often happens that the best managers aren't those who excelled in the sport (or job)themselves. I'm thinking of Alex fergusson, John Madden and inumerable other coaches in other professional sports. It seems to me that the extravagantly talented never had to work as hard as the journeyman, so in many ways don't have as deep an understanding of the sport. Maybe pedro will become one of the best team bosses. Think of him as an Eddie Jordan who had more cash when he started out!
Old 1 Dec 2000, 09:57 (Ref:50623)   #12
Tris
Racer

Tris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Tris, as much as I admire Alain, I believe you are right. The skills that make the top pilots what they are, are exactly the wrong skills for top management. A top pilot has to be self-centred, totally focused on his own navel, concerned at all times that the world revolves around him (when at the track of course, and when working with the car). That is the way for a manager to lose his job - and Alain would have been fired except that there's no one above him to fire him ...
Liz,

While I agree that Prost has not got the necessary skill to be a good team leader I think that he has a communication problem too. OK so he was sacked at Renault in 1983 basically as a bit of a scapegoat for the team but he did keep telling them that they needed to speed up development of the engine to keep pace with the BMW. His sacking from Ferrari in 1991 too. It is not what he was saying but the way he was saying it.

The Prost team has got very low moral.. Prost always focuses on the negative. As a driver how often did he ever praise a car? Hardly ever. If he is just telling every one what they are doing wrong no wonder the team is a shambles.

Old 1 Dec 2000, 16:35 (Ref:50672)   #13
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree that, along with Katayama, Diniz is the best pay driver F1 has seen. He genuinely has talent and I hope he puts it to good use in his management role at Prost.