Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1013524)   #1
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Force tyre changes?

I have been thinking this one over since sunday and have tried to break the thought into sections!

1) I believe that all the cars should of pitted for tyres after teh crash under the direction of the FIA and rejoined in the order they where in before teh pit stop. This stops people not stopping and also because it is tight on some pitlanes the teams should not have to rush about engangering themselves when the safey car is out

2) How much of an issue is debris in formulas where carbon fibre is not involved?

3) Is there anything is briefing about using a pitlane as a 'throughway' when there is debris on the track?

Any other thoughts? I had thought about putting this in the marshalls forum but left it in this forum because it was related to last sunday.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1013539)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Problem with forcing everyone to change tyres is that the teams are limited to a set number per weekend and this may mess up their whole allocation - leaving them without sufficent ones for the end of the race.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1013544)   #3
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a spare set specifically for such a call? I'm sure Michelin and Bridgestone can make some spares. It's only 80 tyres we are talking about.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 20:03 (Ref:1013799)   #4
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of retaining the positions

but picking up Kicking-back's point why force them to change tyres if they are happy with the tyres they have let them continue just let the others who are pitting retake the position they were in

This in practice will cause people to pit anyway so as not to loose that advantage

But that said I can envisage a situation where it could become a logistical nightmare
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1013932)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The idea in point 1 wouldn't work too well. What happens if one team has a troubled pitstop? Everyone behind them will be stuck in the pits waiting to be released, causing the engines to overhead, with those in front of the troubled car having to crawl behidn the pace car. Once released, everyone else would have to go quite fast to rejoin the pack, which is a safety risk in itself. Also, we all know what a hassle queued pitstops are - some engines overheatign to a critical point is quite likely. A red flag is still the best solution.

I don't know about the final two points, but it's rare for the accident causing a safety car to be on the section between pit entry and exit (in road racing anyway).
Old 23 Jun 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1013933)   #6
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Force tyre changes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix1
I have been thinking this one over since sunday and have tried to break the thought into sections!

1) I believe that all the cars should of pitted for tyres after teh crash under the direction of the FIA and rejoined in the order they where in before teh pit stop. This stops people not stopping and also because it is tight on some pitlanes the teams should not have to rush about engangering themselves when the safey car is out

2) How much of an issue is debris in formulas where carbon fibre is not involved?

3) Is there anything is briefing about using a pitlane as a 'throughway' when there is debris on the track?

Any other thoughts? I had thought about putting this in the marshalls forum but left it in this forum because it was related to last sunday.
I'm only going to have a go at point 2&3
From my understanding you can use pit lane under a safty car and you close the teams pits so no work can be done on cars until the feild has passed.So for instance if Ferrari wanted to stop MS he would have had to pull out of the train let all other cars past then pit and join the feild as normal.
As for debris race tyres work at higher temps than your average car tyre.It is not uncommon for a F1 tyre to have a heat range of 70-80degC.At these temps the casing of the tyre is extreamly supple.This of course has a draw back in that the casing is highly fragile.As F1 cars also use the tyre as part of the suspension and coupled with high temp range this makes them highly fragile.Any forgin object will penitrate the casing of the tyre at optium temp hence the racing line or clean line.

The Grumpy1
Old 23 Jun 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1013950)   #7
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about *shock horror!* the teams cary entire race fuel and change tyres when they see fit?

It worked in the past and I can't see why it wouldn't work now.
Old 23 Jun 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1013954)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see refuelling binned too.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 06:29 (Ref:1014175)   #9
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fully agree the compromises you would have to make in setup to allow for a car running with Full race fuel and empty tanks would often lead to different cars having performance advantages at different points during the race which would lead to more exciting races and God Forbid maybe even some on track overtaking