Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Dec 2004, 05:51 (Ref:1182972)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Speed Merchants 1972

Just watched this documentary this evening, with Andretti, Elford, Redman etc.

I'm sure its been talked about here before, but wanted to put down how impressed I was by it. Unlike others films of its era, I found it stood out in that it is not dated by overtly late 60's ,early 70's film styles, specifically overdoing of zooming and heavy use of too-topical soundtracks that can kill the viewing of a film seen not too many years later, not to mention 30-odd.

These are purely technical considerations, but more importantly, it really is a well balanced classy film, that avoids the cliches of the dangers of car racing, hyperbole of images or soundtrack that other films from the time overdid (as some of you may know, I'm totally **** for remembering names of films or else I'd mention a couple that fit this mold to compare against.)

I was very impressed by the balance it had dealing with Andrettis and especially Elfords feelings about the sport, the danger, the passion and in Elfords case, how he began to enjoy it less. The situation of Bonniers death (and Elford's involvement) along with the German or Austrian driver losing an eye, were both respectfully dealt with, and like I said, not with over the top styles, and shows that the filmmakers had a proper feeling of how to deal with this and other aspects of the drivers lives. Whether or not the drivers involved were able to intuitively know that the filmmakers weren't hacks before they decided to get collaborate in the film cant be known, but I'm glad they did, as its a film that stands out as a great period piece for the cars, the tracks, the different attitude to the risks, and was done with class that stands up to time.

Was fascinating for me to see Lemans from that time (with foreboding, as I knew of Bonniers death, and was pretty certain it was to be the same year as events in the film) My best friend who tapes race stuff for me had it on an unmarked cassette, and so it was a sureprise viewing, didnt know what was on it, and didnt know of the film before, so it was a real surprise treat.(to top it off, wife and kids were in bed, and so had a quiet late night uninterupted viewing!)

anyway, those are some of my thoughts, anyone else familiar with it?

ps, makes me pine for Lemans again.......being there I mean.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1183002)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I posted about the movie (I bought it to an american provider in 2002 via internet, quite cheap, no problem of shipping) I think in fall 2003 ; this is one of the most impressive film I ever seen about sportscars, no romance, no useless considerations... just race, pilots... and great cars !

This movie follows me on my laptop everywhere, and I can easely watch it three or four times a year without beeing bored.

A piece of advice : if you've never seen it, don't wait for more...
Old 19 Dec 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1183140)   #3
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely recomendable, great fun to watch. Video has historical value, just like Pole Position (even though that one has a few more accidents in it).

Has it been released on DVD yet?
Old 19 Dec 2004, 14:28 (Ref:1183178)   #4
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy_NL
Absolutely recomendable, great fun to watch. Video has historical value, just like Pole Position (even though that one has a few more accidents in it).

Has it been released on DVD yet?
In autosport there was an advert where to buy speed merchants on Dvd.
So it must be available on dvd.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1183195)   #5
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speed Merchants was shot on film (not videotape) by Michael Keyser. He spent a great deal of money to do everything just right, from entering a Porsche with a camera mount in several races (the camera car, a yellow Porsche can be seen going off the track in the Sebring portion) to commissioning an original musical score for the film. After editing he had over 800,000 feet of film left over -- one can only imagine what all was never shown. I'm biased, as Michael is a good friend of mine, but I consider Speed Merchants as undoubtedly the best motorsports documentary ever made. It has a plot -- Alfa vs. Ferrari during the season -- and all the drivers cooperated with the project. (The film of the Bonnier accident and the Ferrari Daytona is real, by the way. There was a French cameraman out on that corner early in the morning, and just happend to catch the results on film. Michael found him, bought the film, and used it in his movie.)

I hope I'm not violating any advertising restrictions to say that Michael has a website at autosportsltd.com, where the movie is available on DVD. I'd also highly recommend Michael's book, A French Kiss with Death, about Steve McQueen and the making of the film LeMans. Anyone who has seen the movie and enjoyed it will really enjoy the book.

Last edited by fazzaz; 19 Dec 2004 at 15:02.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1183209)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
In addition to what fazzaz said, with which I totally agree, there is/was also a book published called Speed Merchants that covers a broader scope then the film, but has sensational photos. That is a must see too.

The Austrian driver was Helmut Marco, who lost his eye when a stone was thrown up by another car, French Grand Prix 1972 at Clermont Ferrand (spell?).

I love this film!!! I saw it first time last year or early this year on Speed. I went to that Daytona and that Sebring, and saw the Ferraris, Alfas, Lolas. I think because Micheal Keyser was a driver it gave him an inside sense and view as to how to portray the stage play that is a race. One aspect of long distance racing that has always appealed to me, and is portrayed well in the film, is the poetry that begins to take place over long distances/times. The rhythm that develops as car passes car, gets passed, ducks out of a chase to pit, the other gaining huge distance until it too must stop. It is almost a weird kind of ballet, but set to the music of the ripping sounds of race engines asked to give their all.

Great sequence on the Targa, great film of big sports cars at the 'ring. This film has it all!

Since none of you lot are going to give me the DVD of this film I guess I better give it to myself!

robert
Old 19 Dec 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1183330)   #7
AndrewR
Rookie

United States
West Palm Beach, FL.
AndrewR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed Mercahnts

I got Speed Merchants on VHS about 5 or 6 years ago and have enjoyed it many times since then. I went to the 24 hours at Daytona last year and saw they had the movie on DVD at a souvenir tent so I bought it on dvd. The disc was already signed by Micheal Keyser. Just when I payed for it Vic Elford showed up and I asked him to sign it on the disc and cover. I met him twice brofor that and he is a very interestin guy and full of all kinds of stories.
You can buy the dvd from Vic's site http://vicelford.com. You can also get it signed by him from his site. You do need to have Paypal.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 02:12 (Ref:1183547)   #8
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
as I mentioned, watching this film was complete happenstance, and I didnt know anything about Elford beforehand, so I'm very happy for the mention of his website, with info about his career (thanks A) as I was going to ask some of you more questions about him. I'm also very happy to see that you who responded have similiar feelings about the film, its nice to see that my initial reaction to it is in sync with you lot who follow Sportscar stuff so much more than me, although appreciating the film for its merits doesn't really need that much background info, even though I was familiar with the Sebring race, the Bonnier incident and some general background about Redman (and of course Icyx)

I see it as especially important as a document, because with the Targa and the old Nurburgring at the end of their racing lives, the film shows the end of a very dangerous era, or at least teh beginning of the change towards safer tracks and cars.

thanks all for the comments
et salut Fab (il va faire -19c ce soir ici chez nous, attachez vos tuques!)
Old 20 Dec 2004, 06:09 (Ref:1183607)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
thanks all for the comments
et salut Fab (il va faire -19c ce soir ici chez nous, attachez vos tuques!)
It's 3°C under here now: quite hot !

A bientôt (Juin ?) sur le circuit !
Old 20 Dec 2004, 09:57 (Ref:1183742)   #10
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought the dvd at Autonet Bookstore in Rotterdam. The book is one of my all time favorite's and a def must have. Nice to read about the fact that Michael Keyser started a race team (toad Hall Racing) started making photopgraphs and then decided to make a movie.
I think the Toad Hall name was seen at Le mans over the years. I think the logo was on a konrad GT2 in 1999.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 10:07 (Ref:1183754)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vic is a hero of mine - he's also a bloody nice chap, I bumped into him when he came over to the festival of speed, and invited him to talk at our motorclubs 50th Anniversary dinner - He turned up and gave a great talk. He had not been involved with the club for years but still showed that he not only remembers his roots - he embraces them.

I'm proud to be able to keep his helmet design in the sport.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 11:55 (Ref:1183831)   #12
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The book was reissued (in a revised edition) a year or two ago (About the same as A French Kiss With Death was released and by the same people, I think) and I think they issued a DVD/Video release of the film at the same time.

I found an original edition copy of the book and it is excellent, both for the pictures and words, but the new edition has around 50% more pages (and pictures), so you get good value for money, although I only paid £15 for my used first edition.

You can find out more at : http://www.autosportsltd.com/video_s...hants_more.php

Cheers.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1184028)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bought the movie on DVD last year, and I have to say the only deficiency was it came in a CD Jewelcase. It offended me so much that I emailed Michael and he sent me the images he used on the VHS page, and I put together a DVD box coverpage in Photoshop, and I sent a copy of it in .pdf format to Michael to use as he saw fit.

So if you got it in a jewelcase and want a proper cover, email me; if you bought it and it came in a proper DVD case with a cover page, you know who to blame for putting the spine text in the wrong way.

It's a brilliant film and a brilliant book. Keyser also wrote "A French Kiss With Death" about the making of the McQueen epic Le Mans.

As far as I'm concerned, you can advertise anything associated with him on this forum with impunity.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Dec 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1184666)   #14
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
I bought the movie on DVD last year, and I have to say the only deficiency was it came in a CD Jewelcase. It offended me so much that I emailed Michael and he sent me the images he used on the VHS page, and I put together a DVD box coverpage in Photoshop, and I sent a copy of it in .pdf format to Michael to use as he saw fit.

So if you got it in a jewelcase and want a proper cover, email me; if you bought it and it came in a proper DVD case with a cover page, you know who to blame for putting the spine text in the wrong way.

It's a brilliant film and a brilliant book. Keyser also wrote "A French Kiss With Death" about the making of the McQueen epic Le Mans.

As far as I'm concerned, you can advertise anything associated with him on this forum with impunity.

Technically a "proper dvd case" is called an Amaray case

Paul did you really email him because it was in a jewel case!?!?! Although I respect all your racing opinions, I run a music store and it just really bugs me when people do stuff like that. Sorry.

Anwyays, I too saw the film on Speed, and searched for the re-air and it's been on my DVR ever since. I'll probably order a copy for my Dad's next birthday.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 08:17 (Ref:1184679)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Here's what keeps me from ordering via Autosports Ltd.: aren't there separate area codes, or standard, or whatever for DVDs? What I haven't been able to find out - Autosports has not replied to my message yet, and Duke Video does not seem to have the DVD in stock at all - is the DVD available in European, er, format or whatever you call it. I'd like to sort this out before ordering.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 09:31 (Ref:1184761)   #16
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The word you are looking for is 'region'.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1184778)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightline

Paul did you really email him because it was in a jewel case!?!?! Although I respect all your racing opinions, I run a music store and it just really bugs me when people do stuff like that. Sorry.

Why? I'd like to think I'd have done the same thing.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 10:00 (Ref:1184793)   #18
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Humpage
The word you are looking for is 'region'.
Fine. I have placed an order with a regional DVD Merchant, and if he doesn't get me a DVD I can watch he'll fry in hell.
Old 21 Dec 2004, 11:20 (Ref:1184878)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
but it from vic elford
Old 21 Dec 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1184926)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
Here's what keeps me from ordering via Autosports Ltd.: aren't there separate area codes, or standard, or whatever for DVDs? What I haven't been able to find out - Autosports has not replied to my message yet, and Duke Video does not seem to have the DVD in stock at all - is the DVD available in European, er, format or whatever you call it. I'd like to sort this out before ordering.
I ordered it somewhere in California, and did'nt encounter any problem to read it, but i can't remember if there was a 'region' code or not... I don't think so (as my laptop doesn't want to read other ones but 'region 2' = Europe)
Old 24 Dec 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1187582)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
After reading this topic I ordered this DVD (thanks mikmx for your tip about Autonet Bookstore). Today I received the DVD and I watched only the first 15 minutes but my conclusion is already: This DVD is really great!!!
Old 24 Dec 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1187592)   #22
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got the original book back in '73 when it first came out. Got the video in the mid '80s after i saqw the first ad in On Track. Got the revised copy of the book a couple of years ago along with the DVD and the pic CD too. All are great stuff. Michael is a stand up guy and usually see him once or twice a year at the races...

Last edited by Hugewally; 24 Dec 2004 at 19:04.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 07:10 (Ref:1187748)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Michael is a stand up guy and usually see him once or twice a year at the races...
Do you ? Please, say all the pleasure we have with his movie, and suggest him to make another one on ALMS/GARRA - or even LMES/FIA-GT - 30 years later !
Old 25 Dec 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1187841)   #24
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
Fab,

Unfortunately, that won't happen. Michael lost a lot of money on Speed Merchants and is long on to other things. He and I tried to do something at Monterey this year to recognize Milt Minter, a Porsche and Ferrari racer who is now in hospice. Michael did a lot in 2004 to let Milt drive his last races.

Another filmmaker, with a fresh eye and his money still intact, needs to document today's racing.
Old 25 Dec 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1187862)   #25
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
I just found out that Milt Minter died on Thursday. RIP.