Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 3 May 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1292041)   #1
In the Workshop
Rookie

In the Workshop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Electronic Tacho with Magento Ignition

I've got a car with magneto ignition and want to run an electronic tacho. All the tacho's that I've seen at sensible prices run on the main HT lead to a coil.
Can anyone point me to a resource that will help me out on my search for an electronic tacho for a single magneto/ 4 cylinder engine. I figure that racing technology must have faced this one somewhere along the line.

Thanks
Old 6 May 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1294718)   #2
Wingman
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Wingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have never rigged up a tacho to a magnito, but as a mechanic I have used a hand held tacho for timing diesel engines. It works by sticking a reflective dot on the flywheel (or anything rotating at engine speed) and aiming a pickup at the dot. This gives a digital readout. I don't know if that's any help, but if you do find something, I'd be keen to know how it's set up.

Cheers
Old 27 May 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1311885)   #3
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[
Can anyone point me to a resource that will help me out on my search for an electronic tacho for a single magneto/ 4 cylinder engine. I figure that racing technology must have faced this one somewhere along the line.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I go on holiday tomorrow otherwise I would check properly Do you mean a tacho to go into the dash ? They normaly have an earth a live feed 12 V and one sensor wire this goes to the points side of the coil . so i dont see why that cant be run in to Mag and pick up in the same place . Its a long time since I'v messed with Mags so cant remember . Me I would see if Smiths have a phone number and ask . Seeing as Tacho run like this on electronic ignition and points systems I cant see you having a problem anyway . Bye for now will look at website when I come home to see how you got on Old Motor bike people should be able to help as well although a lot of them were cable operated .whats the car ?