Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:26 (Ref:1319290)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CONFIRMED: Scott Speed to drive at Montreal and Indianapolis

Red Bull have confirmed American Scott Speed will drive their third car on Friday at the Canadian and United States Grands Prix.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1319300)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The title is a little mis-leading.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1319301)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably worth adding 'Friday' to the title there KB. Could always merge this with the other Scott Speed thread as well.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1319302)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Title was deliberate - drives interest in the thread!

A journalistic trait
Old 3 Jun 2005, 17:50 (Ref:1319311)   #5
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent oppurtunity for Speed. Hopefully we'll see him racing in F1 in the next season or two.

If any of you read Ted Kravitz' European GP column on the ITV website, he has an interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Tonio Liuzzi has disappointed so far, and the latest suggestion is that Red Bull will put American Scott Speed into a race seat for the final three flyaway events in Brazil, Japan and China.
Personally, I think Red Bull would be nuts to let Speed race at three circuits he has never driven. Especially when Christian Klien had decent races there last year.

It is interesting how the Red Bull driver program shifts its focus so quickly from one driver to the next. A year and a half ago, Chistian Klien was the golden boy for the team. This year, he fell out of favor with the program, and Vitantonio Liuzzi was rushed into an F1 seat. Now, it appears Scott Speed might be about to get the rush treatment into F1 -- I just hope it doesn't end badly.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1319367)   #6
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously this is an image strategy.
In fact Speed will be driving only in Canada and US.
This anyway put me to make a consideration about Liuzzi:
He's very talented, but thanks to the connections I have in RedBull I can tell you that the team is extremely happy with Klien and quite disappointed about Tonio.
Klien is more fit than Tonio (team source) and is much more concentrate than Tonio during the weekend.
In fact even if Tonio looks more talented than Klien, it is useless to say that he's actually the slowest of the 3.
Also DC is flying and without M.Schumacher bumping in his back in Monaco or the mistake he did in Nurburgring's pit lane DC could have finished 3rd in both the races!
And where was Tonio?
Where did he qualify, how was the gap from DC?
Too much.
For sure Speed is not a nightmare for Tonio at the moment, but I see a marketing strategy from RedBull, but also an advertiment to Tonio to be more driver and less a rock star in the paddock.
In the end to be a rock star you must place a decent song in the hit parade...and in the F1 hit parade Tonio still have to give us a good one!
Old 3 Jun 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1319383)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll get you KB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

A journalistic trait
What a sad, pathetic, sick and twisted joke to play on us long suffering American F1 fans. Are you trying to give us a heart attack?! What kind of human being are you KB?

Well, I'll have to buy me a Red Bull hat now for sure! Go Scott!

Danica Patrick
Old 3 Jun 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1319396)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Firstly it is great to see Klien back because i think he definately has earned his place in the team....
also...it is great for Scott to drive in his two "home" GPs. I'm sure RBR must have had an idea to try Scott during the season and with GP2 on a break and with the two GP's being close to Scott home..it probably is the perfect oppurtunity.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1319453)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

A journalistic trait
Another journalistic trait is not actually telling the truth in the title
Old 3 Jun 2005, 20:59 (Ref:1319505)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

The title does tell the truth though, that's why it's clever!

Anyway, on topic - good to see Scott get this opportunity.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 02:32 (Ref:1319647)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes quite so...Speed that is! He is a talented young chap is he not? For the races though put Mr Klien back in the race car please alongside DC.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 03:36 (Ref:1319657)   #12
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Excellent oppurtunity for Speed. Hopefully we'll see him racing in F1 in the next season or two.

If any of you read Ted Kravitz' European GP column on the ITV website, he has an interesting tidbit:

Personally, I think Red Bull would be nuts to let Speed race at three circuits he has never driven. Especially when Christian Klien had decent races there last year.

It is interesting how the Red Bull driver program shifts its focus so quickly from one driver to the next. A year and a half ago, Chistian Klien was the golden boy for the team. This year, he fell out of favor with the program, and Vitantonio Liuzzi was rushed into an F1 seat. Now, it appears Scott Speed might be about to get the rush treatment into F1 -- I just hope it doesn't end badly.
I seem to recall a rule that used to limit the number of drivers who could drive for a team in a season. Would they be allowed to do this?
Old 4 Jun 2005, 03:42 (Ref:1319659)   #13
StickShift
Veteran

A team is limited to four racing drivers throughout a season. So, Scott Speed would be their last eligible driver.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 05:29 (Ref:1319690)   #14
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks. Yep, sounds right to me.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1319842)   #15
xman_wolve
Rookie

xman_wolve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Speed was the winner of Formula Renault support race last year at Shanghai so he knows at least one....
Old 4 Jun 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1319868)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's still good publicity to have him in the car for those 2 races, and using him for a few races late in the season is surely a posibility they haven't ruled out. Liuzzi hasn't impressed so far, but Nurburgring was a little better.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1319989)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think there driver focus is shifting so much, simply because they are so deep in good drivers. I don't believe that any other F1 team has such a good driver development system as Red Bull has. They really have travelled the world looking for, finding, and developing young talent, which is really refreshing and commendable IMO. To many other teams seem to grab driver's that they have had little connection to, or any involvement in there careers...

Red Bull, the company, has become such a fixture and supporter of racing world-wide, and I know I've become a real fan of this team, oh, and I drink a Red Bull everyday!

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Jun 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1320007)   #18
StickShift
Veteran

Red Bull might be a godsend for a tonne of drivers coming through the feeder series, but there is a distinct lack of foresight for drivers who reach the GP2/F1 level. This logjam is playing havoc with the careers of two drivers who should be in F1 now. It's bad enough that the Red Bull F1 team is trying to squeeze two drivers into one race car, and now they are considering adding a third driver to the mix.

What happens to Colin Fleming in a years time? What happens to Neel Jani?
Old 4 Jun 2005, 16:16 (Ref:1320014)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Having to many good drivers is a good problem, and one that many teams wish they had!

The competition can only be seen as good IMO, and in short time, it may just give Red Bull the best driver's line-up in F1...

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Jun 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1320020)   #20
StickShift
Veteran

It's not a good problem at all, and it's a problem that a lot of teams want to avoid at all costs. Splitting drivers fractures a team, it destroys two drivers WDC ambitions, and demotivates each driver who has to stand down. For a team that strives to develop drivers, it is a very counter-productive situation that Red Bull are currently in.

If it were such an ideal problem, why doesn't Williams split time between Heidfeld and Pizzonia? why doesn't BAR split time between Sato and Davidson?

As talented as Klien, Liuzzi, and Speed might be. I doubt that they are going to combine to become the best driver line-up in F1.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1320058)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
This logjam is playing havoc with the careers of two drivers who should be in F1 now. It's bad enough that the Red Bull F1 team is trying to squeeze two drivers into one race car, and now they are considering adding a third driver to the mix.

What happens to Colin Fleming in a years time? What happens to Neel Jani?

Without Red Bull support, some of these guys careers would be over by now
Old 4 Jun 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1320064)   #22
StickShift
Veteran

Quote:
Without Red Bull support, some of these guys careers would be over by now
Which is probably why I said:
Quote:
Red Bull might be a godsend for a tonne of drivers coming through the feeder series
Old 4 Jun 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1320070)   #23
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
IMHO, it is refreshing to see a sponsor, and now a team like Red Bull, take such an interest in there drivers, and striving so hard to get the best that they can. Most of the other teams have little connection to the drivers that race there cars. They just sign em up because of there past expierience, which the signing team had nothing at all to do with, or becuase they have a sponsor or some ability to bring cash. That's hardly a befitting way to choose a driver for the pinnacle of motorsports!

In America, most professional teams in the various sports - baseball, football, etc. - have what they call minor league, or farm systems, where they develop players for there pro teams. That system works, because the players learn the game the way that team wants them to. Red Bull seem's to have a similar system, and I stand by my prediction, that one day, they will have the best driver line-up in F1 because of it...

Danica Patrick
Old 4 Jun 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1320090)   #24
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dr Marko has an extremely short tolerance of failure in aspect of his teams performance, from truck driver to race driver!
Old 5 Jun 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1320278)   #25
xman_wolve
Rookie

xman_wolve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
Dr Marko has an extremely short tolerance of failure in aspect of his teams performance, from truck driver to race driver!
I would be too if I were the one that spend that much $$$ and effort to support them!!