Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Sep 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1397827)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bloody Mercedes - another engine change for Kimi

Apparently Kimi's engine has a suspect inlet valve so Mercedes have said it needs to be changed before qualifying.

So that's a ten place penalty.

I suppose the inherent pace means at least there's a chance of still winning here.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1397837)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At this rate a new slang term can be coined. To lose something despite total superiority is to 'McLaren' it. They have had the fastest car almost every time, yet have only won half the time, despite the advantage of a Friday tester, two experienced test drivers and perhaps the best driving duo in F1. And the thing is, virtually everyone except Kimi has made mistakes along the way.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1397842)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know a lot of people are McLaren haters - for no good reason it seems - but the problems are engine related most of the time.

Kimi has made mistakes - stalling on the grid at Melbourne and flatspotting heavily at the Nurburgring.

In reality, their record this year is better than anyone elses, except Renault.

But still.

Bloody Mercedes.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 10:52 (Ref:1397843)   #4
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is, if JPM gets pole (AND his engine lasts!!!) he can help Raikkonen. This way, Kimi could win. JPM is not fighting for the championship, so he can just help and the Renaults don't seem too strong here, so Raikkonen could end up in front of Alonso and he could probably even win (JPM would obviously have to let him win, but I suppose he would do that anyway)
Old 3 Sep 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1397846)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

And of course it's better to make this precautionary change now rather than leave it and have it blow up in the race.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1397866)   #6
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
of course
Old 3 Sep 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1397868)   #7
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the ... Damn this is so depressing, that is just almost starting to get funny again ....

But at least the race will be even more intresting, from behalf of McLaren/Kimi-fans.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 11:38 (Ref:1397874)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Still, the transformation from McLaren 2004 to 2005 has been enormous.

I'm optimistic about 2006.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1397882)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya has to win. Yet more ten places back for Kimi.

The rules should punish constructor points, not the driver! It kills a title chase.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1397885)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Kimi can still win. The McLaren's have been awesomely quick all weekend.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1397887)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I hope Montoya is on a fat fuel load so he holds up Alonso and the pack and Kimi is on a light fuel load so he can be fast early and pit in no traffic and hopefully move up.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1397895)   #12
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I belive both Montoya and Kimi are very heavy ... and I hope the strategy will be the same. Just question what Fissi will do. Can he hold Kimi up ????
Old 3 Sep 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1397896)   #13
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The rules should punish constructor points, not the driver! It kills a title chase.
Been discussed 1000 times before.... some teams would be almost certainly be prepared to ditch the constructor points in each race to get race wins... in fact I'm sure BAR have said they were more interested in race wins this year.

That doesn't stop me feeling sorry for Kimi.... on the other hand, if you need to win from 11th, the McLaren is the car to have.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1397901)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this the first time a driver has qualified fastest but had to take an engine penalty? Who will the statistics record as the pole-setter?

Drivers have made up the 10 places in the race before now, such as Button at Hockenheim last year, McLaren seem to have a little in hand on the other cars (I expected JPM to be faster than he was, perhaps they fuelled him heavy with the intention of taking pole with as heavy a car as possible, so as to hopefully hold up Alonso and help Kimi get to him?), and I'm sure McLaren will find a way for Kimi to beat JPM (they'd better keep a dodgy fuel rig in reserve), so maybe Kimi can win?
Old 3 Sep 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1397902)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The focus has to be the constructors now for McLaren.

Kimi probably can't win tomorrow, unless JPM lets him past. Let's see if Ron sticks to his "I don't care which driver wins the races" motto he coined at Turkey.

In all honesty, I think a McLaren constructors win and Alonso drivers championship win would be the fairest reflection of 2005. I know a lot would disagree, but I say that as a big fan of both Kimi and Alonso (as well as JPM of course!).

Mind you, McLaren seem intent on throwing away the constructors as well! Where has their reliability gone, they were excellent in the first half season!
Old 3 Sep 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1397913)   #16
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Is this the first time a driver has qualified fastest but had to take an engine penalty? Who will the statistics record as the pole-setter?
That's what I was wondering.... and who does the 10 TENTHS F1 Results Prediction competition consider to have got pole?
Old 3 Sep 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1397919)   #17
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
yeah, I mean, these engine failures have been ruining my predictions since June!!!!
Old 3 Sep 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1397930)   #18
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this will Max Mosley something to think about.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1397931)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nah, I don't reckon Max is too concerned about the prediction competition.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1397953)   #20
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Nah, I don't reckon Max is too concerned about the prediction competition.
He should be concerned about the fairness and entertainment in Formula 1.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1397972)   #21
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
no, he should also be concerned about these stupid regulations ruining my predictions! I mean COME ON!!!!!!!! It's so unfair!!
Old 3 Sep 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1397985)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well they tried something with the engine and it did not work out too well.. Kimi appears unfazed as ever.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1397993)   #23
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Well they tried something with the engine and it did not work out too well.. Kimi appears unfazed as ever.

Who says they tried something and that it didn't just.. brake?
Old 3 Sep 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1397996)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

It was a new spec of engine.

Anyway - the fastest car/driver is starting down the grid - that'll add to the entertainment.
Old 3 Sep 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1398008)   #25
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
juan's gotta be credited with pole...that's what the regulations say