Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Jan 2006, 06:07 (Ref:1499056)   #1
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2006 VMRC Idea

I've had an idea to make the VMRC (the AASA version, just in case anyone is confused) a little more interesting.

For Round 3 (Calder) & Round 4 (Winton) why not run them on the short circuit configuration at the two tracks??

This will allow for either more races to be squeezed into the two days or more laps. I've run the idea past a few people who think it's a good idea but obviously will need to be approved by the various competitor groups and the promotors of the two rounds but I cant see that being a major problem. I might get it brought up at the drivers briefing at the first round at Calder and see how it goes.

It also has the added advantage of effectively making the series run at 4 different circuits over 6 rounds which is better than what the "other" series offers

Thoughts and further suggestions welcome......
Old 11 Jan 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1499120)   #2
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting because I have heard this idea also being mooted for a number of clubs running sprints - as you say it gives those using Winton a chance to run at 2 circuit configurations a year instead of one (I believe AROCA already do this with their sprints).

If you really wanted to throw caution to the wind you could have 3 layouts at Calder - club, National and International circuits!
Old 11 Jan 2006, 19:25 (Ref:1499425)   #3
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good option to me
Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:50 (Ref:1499473)   #4
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
The other side of the coin here is that the Vic SRS could be doing exactly the same.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1499499)   #5
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
The other side of the coin here is that the Vic SRS could be doing exactly the same.
No they cant.

Sandown no longer has the Long Track option (since the Hillside/Lakeside horse track changes) & PI only has the one track option.

Unless you're suggesting they run VSCRC rounds at Winton & Calder of course.

On the subject of the "International" track at Calder, can you imagine some of our "state" level drivers running 3/4 of the way around the Thunderdome
Old 11 Jan 2006, 22:48 (Ref:1499560)   #6
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a reasonable idea PVDA, I wonder whether competitors would prefer to have the variety or repeat the longer tracks?

Re the Calder International track, did that cross over to the Thunderdome through the dummy grid area? What races were held on that layout - was it used more than once?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:12 (Ref:1499577)   #7
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Paul - yes, that's what I was suggesting - they could increase their track coverage from 2 to 7 by simply swallowing some pride and being reasonable.

johnh875 - the crossover was just at the end of pit lane, not the dummy grid area.

As to whether competitors would want this - havenm't competeitors been forgotten in these wars?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:25 (Ref:1499581)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
Re the Calder International track, did that cross over to the Thunderdome through the dummy grid area? What races were held on that layout - was it used more than once?
The International track started at the current start line headed down the straight past the old "Repco" corner and turned left towards the Thunderdome. The cars then turned left onto the Thunderdome and then completed a 3/4 lap of the 'dome. They then turned left off the 'dome (interesting off camber braking and turning corner) and then rejoined the current long track again and completed the lap.

http://www.motorsport.com.au/venue.htm
A map at this link gives you an idea of the layout but doesn't really show the link road from the 'dome back to the National Circuit very well.

Two events were held on the International circuit in 1987, a "practice event" consisting of a 300km Touring car race and several other classes followed by a round of the World Touring Car Championship the weekend after the Bathurst round of the same championship in October.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 00:25 (Ref:1499603)   #9
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
And the last time the INternational circuit was used was for a Marque Sports Car Association sprint meeting in July 1997 (total length btw 4.129 km).

The day apparently went well - a couple of cars har spins on the dome section with nothing major, but mid afternoon some light showers went across the dome section and a couple of bad spins followed closely by a major off (spin and significant damage to one of the entrants put a stop to the day.

As I believe it this was the last time anyone ran the combined circuits in any form.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 00:27 (Ref:1499605)   #10
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Oh - and as I understand it times that day were around the 2:00 minute mark with TR7's, 300ZX's and Clubmans topping the lists that day.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 01:00 (Ref:1499612)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that, the map I had found below (from [url=http://www.racingcircuits.net/Australia/index.html]racingcircuits.net[url]) didn’t have the extra detail of where the pit buildings are – I haven’t been that far down the straight apart from on the track. It is interesting it was used again 10 years later, given the problems in the wet, would it be looked at again? Were the spins due to surface changes or the transition to/from the banking? If they were to use the International track again it could be used to help promote the series, as something out of the ordinary enough to get into the papers etc.

Old 12 Jan 2006, 01:15 (Ref:1499615)   #12
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
The 'incidents' were due to light showers causing the track to become slippery - on the banking this is a disaster. Keep in mind that NASCAR/USCAR was never held once the track became wet - too dangerous.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 04:08 (Ref:1499644)   #13
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last time I was there, the cross had been covered (if not dug into) with a gravel trap and also concrete wall erected on the flat track side. Not to mention the general reclaimed forrestation that Calder suffers from in some parts.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 04:11 (Ref:1499646)   #14
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
The concrete walls - for info - are moveable
Old 12 Jan 2006, 05:55 (Ref:1499653)   #15
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA
The last time I was there, the cross had been covered (if not dug into) with a gravel trap and also concrete wall erected on the flat track side. Not to mention the general reclaimed forrestation that Calder suffers from in some parts.
The gravel trap was always there for the cross over but there's over a metre of dirt covering the cross over tracks (in & out) would need to be remove and then the bitumen below checked and fixed but I don't really think it's an option for "club level" racing.

The "dome wall is moveable as it the wall on drivers left along the current front straight that was put in to prevent drag racers & others from trying to copy Craig Lowndes effort back in 1999 (??) and eliminate a few head on crash options at the same time.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 04:39 (Ref:1500998)   #16
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA
The International circuit will be in action for the Rally Masters I believe. It was open early last year for a Kustom Supercruise. I went around with Gorgeous George Vidovick in his Thunderbird.
The VSRS used the short circuit for their twighlight meeting and most agreed it was a lot more fun than the long track.
BTW the Series has released a calender for the first 4 rounds this year.
2006 Dates
Some of the dates for the 2006 series have been released. The series kicks off on the 22nd of April at Sandown Raceway.

Round Date Venue
1 22-3 April Sandown Raceway
2 10-11 June Phillip Island
3 22-3 July Sandown Raceway
4 21-2 October Phillip Island
5 tba ToBe Advised

Interesting that they seem to have settled on the reality that they're only going to get 5 rounds in.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 05:12 (Ref:1501000)   #17
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Has to be said then - the VSRS is a mere shadow of its former self - only two venues and, at this stage, only four rounds being held.

Not really much of a State Championship any more, is it?
Old 14 Jan 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1501353)   #18
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe street circuits should be investigated
Old 14 Jan 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1501358)   #19
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Maybe they could run the Geelong foreshore?
Old 14 Jan 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1501361)   #20
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or the VSRS may even look to take the series to Bahrain!?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1501422)   #21
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Round Date Venue
5 tba ToBe Advised
My money is on half a round in November on Cup Day and if I had to choose between circuits I'd pick the one in Springvale as odds on favorite
Old 15 Jan 2006, 01:43 (Ref:1501443)   #22
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
You would probably lose your money then - whispers are that the track will not be available this Cup Day for anything other than creatures with 4 legs.