Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Jan 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1507403)   #1
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshal Recruitment

I'm sure this has been addressed extensively, but couldn't find a current specific post.

During a private club event last week while I was chatting with the Chief Steward (US equivalent to CoC) in Race Control during a lull, I commented with delight on the instant results updating afforded by the computerized timing system, as we watched standings change on the screen in front of us...lap-by-lap, and pitstop-by pitstop.

He, an 'old hand' (very old - he happened to have started racing with my Father in the 1950's) BEMOANED the existence of electronic timing as a curse. I first thought this was merely anti-technology sour grapes, but he then explained that in the 'old days', as soon as a youngster was able to hold a pencil and do simple maths, they were ensconced in 'The Timing Shed' along with all the other spouses and underage attendees who were available, and given REAL responsibility to track cars with 'tear sheets'...I recall that he was correct!

When I was 12, my parents sent me there while they worked corner stations. I was kept busy, developed a strong sense of responsibility, always knew what was going on, and most importantly, developed a TRUE PASSION for racing which has never waned. I finally got to the point that I could maintain lap charts for up to 10 cars in a single race. The timing chief at Bridgehampton actually cried when I began corner marshalling at age 16.

Today, one individual with timing equipment maintains all position and scoring information, and is able to post results instantly. I love the data trove, but on reflection, the 'Old Coot Chief Steward' seems to have a point as regards introducing people to the sport.

Question is....how can we find or develop a modern equivalent to manual timing as a 'first step recruitment tool' for race workers?

-Dennis
Old 23 Jan 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1507427)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoigh
Question is....how can we find or develop a modern equivalent to manual timing as a 'first step recruitment tool' for race workers?

-Dennis
I think many UK circuits and hillclimb venues use 'runners' who tend to be marshals' offspring etc, to run errands in the paddock, etc. It's the way I hope to get my (currently 7 yr old) into the sport on a practical basis - she already loves watching and attending motorsport as a spectator (but she doesn't like the squeeky cars - F1 to you and I)
Old 23 Jan 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1507465)   #3
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
TBH - More than technology, I think that the advance of the insurance industry and a risk averse soceity has put paid to these "Route in" jobs for the young folk.

Basically, most events have become so paranoid about getting their hinds sued off if the little darlings get a scratch, that all concept of balancing the risk inherant in motorsport versus the benefit of them being in such a good learning environment, has gone out of the window. That's just a personal opinion.
Old 23 Jan 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1507471)   #4
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grrrr, I hate the Dam Compensation Culture
Old 23 Jan 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1507472)   #5
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sound like Tony the Tiger there!!!!
There GRRRReat!!
Old 23 Jan 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1507557)   #6
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
I've often seen 'runners' employed at races both in Europe and N.America. 'Certainly a partial answer, but many circuit areas are 'off limits' to young people due to the liability issues and regulations mentioned elsewhere. I remember that work in timing was all consuming as a kid.

Among 'possible' jobs might be...

...aforementioned 'runner'

- equipment maintenance and disbursement

- event registration and sign-in - license photos

- radio room (equipment tracking, etc)

- canteen volunteer (tedious slave labor?)

- spectator (rather misses the point)

- race communications log keeper (Race Control only)

'Problem is, most of these tasks involve sporadic activity, and are hardly likely to get (or keep) a young worker enthused about the sport. Kids are too smart to be interested in 'busy work'...I know mine are, and their progenitors (father, at least) are of merely average intelligence.

'Hate to present problems without solution...but this is a chronic and worsening concern to all.

Dennis
Old 24 Jan 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1507891)   #7
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can use "juniors" in areas where the general public are also allowed, so paddock runners, race control help etc. are all allowable and are already in evidence.

One of the main threads we are developing as part of the "Volunteers In Motorsport" initiative is that of "Cadet marshals" and we are looking at all ways we can get younger people involved. As an example the National Schools Karting Association has their drivers marshal as part of the requirements to be able to compete - they help with flags etc. but leave incident handling to "adults".

As and when I have more info on how we can involve juniors more, I will post details here and on the BMMC website.

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 24 Jan 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1508077)   #8
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson
We can use "juniors" in areas where the general public are also allowed, so paddock runners, race control help etc. are all allowable and are already in evidence.

One of the main threads we are developing as part of the "Volunteers In Motorsport" initiative is that of "Cadet marshals" and we are looking at all ways we can get younger people involved. As an example the National Schools Karting Association has their drivers marshal as part of the requirements to be able to compete - they help with flags etc. but leave incident handling to "adults".

As and when I have more info on how we can involve juniors more, I will post details here and on the BMMC website.

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
'Rewarding that the reknowned 'CH' is monitoring the discussion forums (but labeled as a 'Rookie Poster'...lol).

Adrian Fawdington of Castle Combe (who Winters with us here in Florida) forwarded me the recently completed survey of the UK marshalling corps aimed at stemming marshal losses and identifying the reasons for involvement. It seems that you are ahead of us in tackling the problem, and it's great to see progressive steps being taken to involve young people through karting and 'junior marshal' programs. Road Racing and rallying are much more 'mainstream' sports in Europe than here in the US, though sheer numbers of those involved may be somewhat greater. My own son (now age 18 and in university) is willing to spend time at the track only if I will allow him to drive our race car ('88 Type II VW Golf), which he has on offer ONLY if he first works a year (6 events) as a marshall...a deal which I gladly accepted from my father at the same age, but I was already fully immersed by then in race culture. It seems that my son and his friends, nice boys all, find hanging around the track boring in light of the alternatives involving computer games, hot-rodding Japanese imports, and of course, girls...though some of my first 'dates' were taken to race venues. Any update on these efforts will be appreciated.
Old 24 Jan 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1508324)   #9
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think getting kids in ( I have four I'm trying to encourage) is a wonderful idea. Getting them the marshals' side of the spectator fence, but still keeping them relatively safe in the Observer's hut doing some paperwork or - observing (Dad!! That orange car's got stuff pouring out of it!) would be brilliant were it not for two small problems:
1. If something hit the hut/boy/girl then unleash the lawyers from hell.
2. Getting kids involved now involves so much paperwork, Police checks and two adults with each child, etc., etc., that clubs as painless as bell-ringing now insist on 18+ only.
In our justified efforts to protect kids we now exclude then from everything except Nintendos and Playstations.
Old 24 Jan 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1508376)   #10
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And even they come with health warning now.