Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 19 Feb 2006, 11:52 (Ref:1526170)   #1
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rockingham & BMW

I know that the future of racing at Rockingham has been debated before, but I see this weeks Autosport states that BMW are moving their Performance Centre from the circuit.

Without getting into usual why I like/hate the venue, how is this going to impact on the future of the venue as a race circuit?
Old 19 Feb 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1526179)   #2
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they'll have to get some new course cars.......

It's difficult to say how it will affect it. I think BMW mainly used the circuit for testing / race school activities. I don't think it had much influence with regards to the actual racing side of things.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1526189)   #3
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the loss of revenue to the circuit? Will that not affect its viability?
Old 19 Feb 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1526193)   #4
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The contract for BMW Sponsorship expired at the end of last season and BMW haven't renewed, and according to reports all trace of BMW has been removed from the circuit (grandstands, drapes off the main grandstand, X5 off road course, etc)

Shouldn't affect anything at all, Rockingham are looking at making their money from track days, exhibition hosting and developing a major showground area. The SCSA championship is nothing to do with the circuit now, other than being a host.

No news here, move along...

Al.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1527236)   #5
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
X5 off road course, etc)
!!!!!!!

Do the phrases "X5" and "Off-Road" actually go together? !!!!

PJ
Old 20 Feb 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1527355)   #6
Maranello Man
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
Maranello Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maranello Man

Think they would have made more money recreating a High Street with shops and a School for all the "Chelsea Tractors" to practice parking on!
Old 21 Feb 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1527691)   #7
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the development plans for the land around Rockingham you aint too far from the truth MM
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:10 (Ref:1528793)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
as Cynic said I believe BMW did use it more for race school / testing so it shouldn't impact too much.

Alan - what plans? Haven't seen / looked
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1528825)   #9
Maingz
Rookie

England
Maingz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green
According to the development plans for the land around Rockingham you aint too far from the truth MM
I have heard that land is to be developed for housing at the back of the circuit. Now correct me if i'm wrong but won't that provide a number of different problems rather than solve them? Financially, a part time solution, but then you have to consider db limits and the knock on effect of restricted track, race time and availability.

I was there on a launch in late November last year and BMW were still very much around, albeit in name only.

And what of the Johnny Herbert Experience?

Alan, can you offer us any further info?
Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:45 (Ref:1528830)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re building - there's currently a discussion in the F1 forum under "Save Silverstone" and planned development for there for housing.

I'll make the same point here as I did there - I'm a Combe local (ten mins) and what's just happened to Combe? Local residents have been complaining re the noise, the db level has decreased, F3/GTs now aren't there (in the past a good meeting for Combe drawing in a good crowd as it normally does). Who are the people that are complaining? Well some of them are from Yatton Keynell (village very close by) where a housing estate and primary school (By Brook) was built within the past few years.

You buy a house near a circuit, you have to be pretty thick not to expect noise. There are more meetings nowadays but you buy the house there, you know it'sthere. It's not too hard to find a current calendar or similar to see the current level of activity. But these people have an ulterior motive (or some of them do at least).