Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Apr 2007, 01:29 (Ref:1901374)   #1
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
neiltbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst rookie - got some questions

Hello folks,

After watching V8 Supercars on Speed Channel here in the US for a few years, it's time to see it for real. What do I need to know about a trip to the Bathurst 1000?

- Where should I stay? Are there local hotels and if so any good online booking options?

- Will I be able to snag camping at the track or does it get sold out to priority purchasers from last year? What's it like to camp there?

- What's the best way to get there? Is there public transportation or is it not worth the hassle and better to rent a car? Is it far from Sydney and is the drive straightforward?

- Are grandstand seats worth the money? What about paddock passes?

Thanks for any advice you guys have. Only my trip to Le Mans is keeping me from being too excited about going to Bathurst!
Old 27 Apr 2007, 03:05 (Ref:1901396)   #2
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
neil you may sill be able to get camping at the track. check out the v8 supercars web site. The best way to get there is by renting a car and driving up, it takes about two hours. Grand stand seats can be great if the weather is cold , it offers a little protection. Most times a paddock pass is seperate to your grandstand or general admission ticket the passes are good if you want to be able to get some autographs from the drivers. send me a message when it gets closer and I will try to catch up for a beer or two.Ivan
Old 27 Apr 2007, 03:49 (Ref:1901401)   #3
CRIPLR
Rookie

CRIPLR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Neil,

Mate, you're gonna LOVE Bathurst... Everyone does!!!

If you want my opinion, for a first-timer it might be best to go up there and check it out first-hand before the event. The place is that amazing that if your first time there is for the event itself then you'll miss a fair bit just looking around as Mount Panorama is a HUGE place with lots to see and take in.

The event doesn't have to be happening for you to appreciate the track. It's a public road (which will be closed for the event) which means you'll be able to drive around it lap after lap. The atmosphere is there all year round so you won't miss that. It's simply AWESOME!!! Also, it gives you a chance to experience all the viewing areas without massive crowds or pesky security. This will give you the chance to decide where abouts on the circuit you'd like to watch from.

You'll also have plenty of time to visit the Mount Panorama Museum at the bottom of the circuit. I'm sure they have plenty of information regarding ticketing and accomodation, and it's always nicer to talk to someone face to face about these things. While in Bathurst you might also stop in at a few Hotel/Motels and enquire there too. The people in Bathurst a super-nice and are always willing to help someone wanting to see the race.

Trust me mate, it bloody easy to fill a day in Bathurst even without the V8 Supercars there. I just think that if your first time is for the event, then you'll miss some because you'll still be in the "exploring" stage.

As for directions, well that's easy too. If you're driving there and you're from Sydney then all you do is basically get on the M4, head west (towards Penrith) and just keep going. The M4 will turn into the Great Western Highway once you're past Penrith and from there is just a matter of following that through the major townships of Katoomba, Lithgow and ultimately Bathurst. I live near Eastern Creek Raceway and it takes about 2h15m to get there from here. Once you've gone past Lithgow it's only about another 40min to Bathurst. When you're about 10min out from Bathust (still on the Great Western Highway) look to your left and you'll be able to see in the distance the MOUNT PANORAMA lettering on one of the mountains. That's the track buddy and you're not far away...

If you'd like any further information please just ask.

Cheers,

CRIPLR

Last edited by CRIPLR; 27 Apr 2007 at 03:52.
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:31 (Ref:1901418)   #4
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey criplr,
He is from the USA, so I dont think a recce trip is in the plans somehow.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 27 Apr 2007, 09:01 (Ref:1901514)   #5
CRIPLR
Rookie

CRIPLR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess so, but it's the best way for a first-timer.

I thought he was "from" the USA but is in Australia at the moment. Maybe I misunderstood.

Oh well, I'll be there anyways...
Old 27 Apr 2007, 19:41 (Ref:1901843)   #6
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
It'll be a dash-in-dash-out trip, six days in Australia, 4 of which will be at the Mountain...

Thanks for the advice so far guys, it's very useful. Any ideas about hotels?
Old 28 Apr 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1902233)   #7
dean11
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide
dean11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you could also try these websites...they will give you some idea of where to stay.

www.supercheapauto1000.com.au
or
www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au

good luck,a lot of places book out early.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 05:52 (Ref:1902513)   #8
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camping definitely adds to the experience! I just got my renewal form in the mail yesterday, so if I don't make it... you might be able to rent it out off me for whatever the renewal costs. +64210671986 if you get stuck with accomadation... Cheers.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 06:24 (Ref:1902520)   #9
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or you could sleep in the hire car.

Buy a grandstand and paddock pass.....after the plane ticket they'll seem cheap.

If you're going to fly half way accross the globe for this event, it wont add much to the budget.

Besides, the exchange rate will work for you. Petrol (Gas) is about $4.95 aussie ($4.10 USD) for one of your funny US Gallons and we drive on the wrong side of the road.

But compared to a LeMan trip...... We speak english..not your US version but one you'll understand, we wont charge you 35 Euros for a stale baguette and there's less loonies driving clapped out peugeots around the countryside.

Enjoy the visit mate.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 09:07 (Ref:1902568)   #10
Accelerate
Rookie

Accelerate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag

- Where should I stay? Are there local hotels and if so any good online booking options?
Package Options:

http://www.autoracingtours.com.au/v8..._corporate.htm

http://www.newsonf1.com/tours/bathurst1000tour.htm

Or try dealing direct with the Bathurst Tourist Information Centre who can help with hotels, private home rentals and B&B's during the event. They will send you a form listing pricing/options, you make your selection, pay them and then they confirm things for you.

With accom. get in sooner rather than later though.

Quote:
- Will I be able to snag camping at the track or does it get sold out to priority purchasers from last year? What's it like to camp there?
This link explains things:

http://www.supercheapauto1000.com.au/

Depends where you camp, but the top of the Mountain has much in common with the state of Arkansas... minus the double-wides

Quote:
- What's the best way to get there? Is there public transportation or is it not worth the hassle and better to rent a car? Is it far from Sydney and is the drive straightforward?
There is a countrylink rail service to Bathurst:

http://www.countrylink.info/timetables/network_map

But then you have to decide how you're going to get around as cabs are fairly light on the ground.

If you decide to rent a car once you've found the M4 you just keep on that road following the signs. Allow around 3 hours.

If you get a campsite look into hiring an RV - takes care of your accom. at the same time. As to straightforward camping it gets really cold on the Mountain - even by SF standards (plus my money is on a wet race this year) so you need to take that into account.

http://www.salamandatravel.com/campe...campervan.html

Quote:
- Are grandstand seats worth the money? What about paddock passes?
Can't help you with the first question because I'm always in a private facility. Paddock passes are worth the added money as you can spend time watching them fix/repair cars, meet drivers wandering around etc.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1902643)   #11
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Campervan

I would seriously consider hiring an RV....you seem fairly serious about doing the four days, you need a way to get to Bathurst and a Campervan might just be the ticket. There is a dedicated camping area for RVs at the track.
Old 1 May 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1904048)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have become a grand stand fan. got sick of getting up there to find all the best spots roped off. we still walk around the track and check out stuff, just not on race day anymore.

the other advantages, you are out of the mud, your seat is always there for you to go back to, plus you have a big screen in front of you. you get to see all the pit action.

the downside is it may not be where the pasing moves and crashes happen (in saying that it is where the pass of last years bathurst happened (jamie on todd))

Th RV's not a bad idea espeacially if you wer already hiring a car. we camp in the town on the footy oval for free( close to pubs and restaurants etc.) but you have to drive to track every day.
Old 1 May 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1904065)   #13
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If you want to meet average Aussies and learn a bit about our culture, I would strongly suggest camping on top of the mountain. It's very family orientated where you can share a coffee with your next door neighbours whilst playing bridge. It's very quiet of a night time allowing a good nights sleep. If your bringing family it's a great spot for your wife and young daughters. Clean, modern bathroom facilities are available up there. If you indulge in alcohol you will need to bring your own as alcohol is rare on top of the mountain. A church service is held each morning.
Enjoy.
Old 1 May 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1904135)   #14
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hahahahaha... Mate, Billy is taking the **** out of ya.

ummmmmmmm. let me translate that for you.

Mate.....Aussie for Buddy, not someome you root to produce offspring...

Root, Aussie for botom end of a tree or someone you mate with, not a term meaning a team you support in a sporting contest.

****. Something you take out of someone when you're making fun of them or something you might like to drink while on top the mountain. aka beer.

Billy. A tin can you boil tea in or someone that takes the **** on a BB.

I hope this clears everything up for our seppo mate.

Cheers.

It seems you cant say pess in here........our kiwi mates will be narked over that!
Old 1 May 2007, 23:36 (Ref:1904621)   #15
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
Haha, nice one! Luckily I'm bringing a good friend of mine with me who's an Aussie. He'll translate. Plus I'm actually a Pom not a Yank, so I learnt everything I need to know by watching Neighbours when I lived in the UK

Anyway, thanks for all the advice so far!
Old 2 May 2007, 00:25 (Ref:1904635)   #16
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What makes Bathurst unique as a circuit and a spectating experience is the top of the mountain.If you are going to restrict yourself to the bottom you might as well go to Eastern Creek or Sandown.However camping at the top can be a feral experience particularly in the McPhillamy Park area (Reid and Sulman particularly a bit away from the main access road is a bit better.Campsites go on sale to the general public on 17 May.Even though I have accommodation in town I buy a campsite at the top of the mount as this is the only way to get vehicle access and the shuttle bus service can't cope on the weekend.The roping off of areas was banned last year and the ban was enforced which made it much easier to get good viewing spots and there are some areas such as the hill at the pull out of the cutting where roping off has never occurred to any extent.If you want the real Bathurst experience you should watch most if not all of the racing from the top of the mount.I hope we can provide good weather for you.
Old 2 May 2007, 04:00 (Ref:1904702)   #17
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have stayed at the Park Hotel and the Victoria Hotel.The Park is corner Keppel and George Sts,has good dining room,ensuites,three bars,outdoor rooftop dining/drinking area,weekend can have noisy[music] functions but nothing over the top.
Victoria Hotel is at the bottom of Keppel St 50 metres from the Railway Station-best described as 2 and a Half Star--clean small rooms,a tv,share bathrooms in Guest areas.Use of kitchen.Room and basic breakfast[make your own with what's in the kitchen]-$35 [say $29 US]
Bathurst has more Hotels which are not on the internet ,or lists kept by all tourist bodies.The two listed will probably be happy to help you if they don't have a vacancy.Hotels in country Australia are almost always cheaper[and older]than motels as they are from earlier era of travel ,but are subject to all health laws etc and their overheads are different.They survive on alcohol sales and gaming machines.
Another cheapie is the Perthville Hotel in that small village just south of Bathurst.Stayed there once years ago for $5 room and make your own breakfast.
Might work well if you got an Aussie to book it for you or they might smell the Yankee Dollar and up the tariff !!
Old 2 May 2007, 04:50 (Ref:1904715)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltbag
so I learnt everything I need to know by watching Neighbours when I lived in the UK
Holy shyte, please don't hold us responsible for that
Old 21 Aug 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1993887)   #19
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
I'm pleased to say I've booked my flights and I'm definitely coming over for Bathurst!

So I'm looking at the tickets online, and I'd like to grab a grandstand seat since I'll be there for the full 4 days. Does anyone know if those grandstand prices include admission, or do I need to buy an admission ticket too?
Old 21 Aug 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1994092)   #20
Mr_Cool
Racer

Australia
Sydney
Mr_Cool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grandstand tickets come at an extra cost mate - Avesco for ya..

To get the best out of your Bathurst Experience i'd recomend camping in the circuit - Even tho you wont get much sleep due to the fireworks and portaloos being loaded with fire crackers, It has settled down over the years but as for viewing and getting the true aspect of the Bathurst experience i'd go up the top of the mountain over the Reid Park - Skyline area, Hopefully it will be the same weather as last year without all the sadness surrounding it with Porter.

You'll love it

Last edited by Mr_Cool; 21 Aug 2007 at 21:54.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 23:23 (Ref:1994143)   #21
neiltbag
Racer

United States
Petaluma, CA
Well I understand that grandstand seats are more expensive, but do I need the four day GA pass at $110, PLUS the 4-day reserved seating ticket for $199? Does the reserved seating ticket get me access to the Mountain as well? The website is damn confusing or else I'm overthinking it...
Old 22 Aug 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1994169)   #22
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been over 10 years since I was last up there, but it used to be that the top of the mountain was general admission.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 05:16 (Ref:1994234)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Take a FORD flag so your backing the winners....................
Old 22 Aug 2007, 05:36 (Ref:1994244)   #24
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make sure you bring good wet weather gear and comfortable shoes, you will do alot of walking and I think there is a pretty good chance that it will be a wet race this year.

Better make that a Holden flag, Ford have had the one win a decade that Holden give them so they don't give up altogether.
Old 22 Aug 2007, 05:37 (Ref:1994245)   #25
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GA will allow you to the top. Catch a shuttle bus from the bottom.