Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jul 2007, 15:33 (Ref:1964519)   #1
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HELP.. Can anyone identify these BMW's?

I took these pictures in 1996 at Brands Hatch and am trying to identify the history of these cars from around 1976!
I would also be interested to find out if they are still racing today...

http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...5-29w.jpg.html
http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...5-22w.jpg.html
http://www.stillphotography.co.uk/ga...5-36w.jpg.html
Old 16 Jul 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1964527)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Frank de Jong's excellent Touring Car site has quite a bit of info on the Luigi BMW's.

A bit on Spa here
Old 16 Jul 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1964532)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did a small painting of the UFO BMW for Pierre Dieudonné many years ago. I may still have a copy of it somewhere.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 16:14 (Ref:1964542)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The last one (6) belonged to the late Tim Busby until his sad passing a few years back. Lovely bloke; always happy to talk about the car. I have a poster of it in front of me.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1964981)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remeber all 3 cars very well.
The Castrol Massive (chandeliers) was normally driven by Alain Peltier and Alain Demol and obviously run by Luigi Racing. Did very well in the Group 2 European Championship. But they had other drivers on that car as well.

The green Juma BMW Italia run car was driven by Eddy Joosen and Umberto Grano. Both drivers were fast, but that car somehow never ran that well.

The UFO (jeans) car was driven by Jean Xhenceval, Luigi's brother in law. Somehow it was a lot faster than the rest, but hardly did any running in the group 2 EC. It went like hell in the Belgian championship.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 20:22 (Ref:1965093)   #6
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the information so far.. I am trying to update my site as we go...

Did the third car run under Luigi Racing as well?
Old 19 Jul 2007, 07:58 (Ref:1967185)   #7
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, only the UFO and Castrol Massive car were run by Luigi. The other was a joined effort by Juma / BMW Italia.
Juma in those days was run by Julien Mampaey, father of todays Juma boss in the WTCC. Mampaey and Eddy Joosen were close friends.

Luigi had several more cars over the years, most were run at national level.